PDA

View Full Version : PLANT PARADE: a forum project: October '07

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Plant Parade: A forum project.

The idea this month is to take one or more plant references (below) and interpret the subject in a the way you think Van Gogh may have painted them.

Below are links to definitions and works of Van Gogh - they are websites with examples of his paintings and some information about him as a painter.

http://www.vangoghgallery.com/painting/

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/gogh/

http://www.vggallery.com/

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/van_gogh_vincent.html

http://www.expo-vangogh.com/

You may, of course, also use any other source of information about the painter!

From your study select the ideas which interest you and see how you can put them into your own work.

Your work may be in any medium, you just have to try to create some of the characteristics you find in his work!

We will have one ‘reveal’ date, 25th of the month - please, no uploading before then, we’d like to see your work uninfluenced by anyone else’s!

The object is to have fun and perhaps create a piece of art you may not have thought of doing before!

This month’s references:

Tigerlily (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=78214&cat=556) by chaosia

Tigerlily (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=78212&cat=556&si=Tiger%20lily&perpage=24) also by chaosia

Yellow tigerlily (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=77181&cat=556) by maltman

Orange Day Lily (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=79311&cat=556) - Charlie's Mum

Yellow Day Lily (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=6318&cat=556&si=Day%20lily&perpage=24) by Trimoon

Enjoy yourselves! :D

Charlie's Mum
09-30-2007, 04:34 PM
In some parts of the world it's already October, and I shall be busy tomorrow, so here ya go folks!
Have fun :D

fawnridge-art
10-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Thank you for another great challenge! A 'master'ful project. :D

marionh
10-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Superb references and another good challenge. I have more time this month and I love Van Goghs work, so will certainly give this a go. The only problem is which one!

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, that's 3 of us :D

beckyboo
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I'd love to participate! I only viewed last month's project two days ago- too late to participate, but I really, really loved everyone's works- they were truly inspiring! This will be a challenge for me. I'm 40, loved art at school, but haven't done much since. I have some nice pastels and pencils, so I will try to do the project with either, or both, of those. Looking forward to seeing you all on the 25th!
Rebecca.

Charlie's Mum
10-01-2007, 05:51 PM
That's great Rebecca - good to have you join us :D

edtree
10-01-2007, 07:37 PM
:wave: Hi Maureen! Well, I know absolutely nothing about Van Gogh or his style, but hey, why not. :lol: I will do my best. I like that this is educational as well as good practice.

Elizabeth

C_Line
10-02-2007, 06:41 AM
I really love Van Gogh too, so will try to participate.

TessDB
10-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Alright, I'm in too!

Need to push myself & this is an excellent excuse. :D

Tess

Anita Murphy
10-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm thinking about it - can't promise anything, but I am thinking about it! ;) I was so impressed by the irises last week!

Selahs art
10-02-2007, 02:20 PM
I will try, van Gogh, why not maybe I can come up with something.

Retha

Charlie's Mum
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Good-oh!
Ve haf vays of making you enjoy yourselfs!!!!!!!!!! :D

HI Anita - good to see you here :D

Fozbot
10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
count me in.:) i have no idea what i'm going to do but i won't be waiting until the zero hour to do it this time.

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Lol Foz - I'm going to try so hard not to leave this to the last minute!
Time will tell :eek:

Terry Wynn
10-03-2007, 08:03 PM
O.K. - here I am - signing up. I am still in awe of the beautiful art from the last one! Hope I'm worthy!

Terry

Charlie's Mum
10-04-2007, 07:36 AM
Ah! I see I didn't need to get Carol's whip out Terry :D :wink2:

Terry Wynn
10-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Gee whiz, had I known there was a whip involved I would have drug my foot - more . . .:lol:

Researching to get a feel for the style. . . this should be great fun!!!!

Terry

Charlie's Mum
10-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm just about ready to start :D
(Read Big Grin there - I'm way ahead of myself this month!)

indomum
10-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Maureen, thanks for your invitation to see this sub forum. The project here is very interesting. I wished I could participate sooner but this month have been busy, I'll let you know if I have chance to paint one of those beautiful lilies before time is up :-)

ranunkel
10-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Ok I am in!
Had to take a break from my botanical drawings, so I think I will give it a try the Van Gogh way.

Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.
Vincent Van Gogh

Guess this doesn't go for botanical art students :lol:

ticktock01
10-07-2007, 06:47 AM
I am going to try to submit something too.

How many entries may we submit?

Charlie's Mum
10-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh! I'm glad you're in after all Marianne - and that's a very useful VG quote! :D

Indo - join if you can - it'll be good to have you!

Terry - great! As many as you like! ...... just has to have some of VG's characteristics

....(and it ain't as easy as first thought - ouch!)....
I keep getting side-tracked and wanting to go my own way - eek!

marionh
10-07-2007, 11:38 AM
....(and it ain't as easy as first thought - ouch!)....
I keep getting side-tracked and wanting to go my own way - eek!

Ain't that the truth:D Where do you go to for help when you can't post the image:eek:

Marion

Fozbot
10-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Van Gogh has so many styles and used so many different palettes. i'm having a heck of a time trying to 'capture' his style! i've got paint on paper, Maureen!! not sure what it's going to look like yet, tho.:(

Charlie's Mum
10-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Well Billie - you're further on than I!
it's all in my head - yep, that's where it is :eek: ....... just have to get it out!!! Hammer and chisel anyone :D

Marion - the Uploader is working again - is that what you mean?

fawnridge-art
10-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I think she means we have to wait 'til the 25th for reveal?
Mine is in my head also Maureen :lol: Am trying out one idea, but may simplify it if it won't work as my head works :lol:, :lol:, :lol:!!!!

Polygon
10-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm in- I've been away for a while and manically busy since returning, but things should be quieter between now and the 25th, time to get back into the painting thing!

This is a great challenge Maureen- I loved the September one too. Lots of fun to have the specific styles to learn more about and try to replicate or incorporate the influences.

Terry Wynn
10-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Well, I put pastel to paper and started. I'm finding this is like baby steps because it is so unlike what I would normally paint. I'm glad we don't unveil until the 25th! YIKES. I started small (6 x 8) to get a feel for where I'm going. This is fun, different, exciting because I'm trying something new :clap:

Have fun, everyone!

G'day.

Terry

Charlie's Mum
10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I actually got a sketch done today - in pastel - so if I don't get the painting done, I do have my thoughts to show! :lol:
Can't believe I've actually got this far and it's only the 8th!

I'm so excited! :lol:

Nancy - thanks for that comment and glad the projects seem to be worth the effort! :thumbsup:
Did you have a good trip?

Fozbot
10-08-2007, 05:23 PM
this is so funny. i trashed the watercolor(what a mess) and picked up my pastels, too! i don't think Van Gogh worked with pastels, did he? if not he should've.

Signchick
10-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Maureen, now you've gone and done it!!!! One more way I can spend time playing when I should be working!!! Looks like fun! I'm going to try to join in. After all, I have 16 more days to fit it in. Thanks for telling us about this.

hoofty
10-09-2007, 01:31 PM
I'll give it a try, sounds challengeing :)

Charlie's Mum
10-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey Beth, glad you came over here too:D You'll enjoy it! :lol:
You too Hoofty - it's fun!

Billie - my arm was aching by the time I finished - I'm sure the painting will be easier!:lol: Got it mapped out today :smug: (Bet I'm still rushing to finish on the 25th though!)

Finnegan18
10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I may not have time to participate but I sure will enjoy following this one. :)

chaosia
10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
so i've decided to join in, and i pickjed up my oil pastels, shall be interesting seeing as not used these in years XD

chaosia
10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
hehe finished mine only took about 2 hours, but then again it is a small image, just don't think it looks that much like a van gogh..

shari814
10-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Okay...almost done (tried an oil pastel rendition, scrapped it- finally put paint to canvas yesterday and got some results!):rolleyes:

Are you sure Van Gogh used a brush and not a trowel? :D I'm not sure if I'm painting or sculpting here!

Shari

Finnegan18
10-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Do we have to use the reference photos. They all seem to be of Daylillies. When I think of Van Gogh I think of Irises and Sunflowers.

Charlie's Mum
10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Finnegan, the whole point of the project is to pick out characteristics and try to produce something in the spitit of VG, not copy any of his work! :D
We all paint from the refs given - one or all of them - and try to produce a piece which says "Ah! like a Van G!!" :D
The refs were deliberately not irises and sunflowers!

Beccy - glad you joined in :thumbsup:

Shari - I've just finished mine today - nearly resorted to the trowel! :lol: :lol:
Took me about 6 or 8 hours I think!

marionh
10-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Marion - the Uploader is working again - is that what you mean?
Sorry Maureen, a bit late in responding. My comment was tongue in cheek as we are not able to show the images so no help available when needed.

I've completed? two. But I am just looking at them again and maybe will alter a few things tomorrow. I like my backgrounds but not sure I like my flowers:D

Charlie's Mum
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Lol Marion - just call me a bit dense sometimes!!!!!

I know it would be good to share probs - we can do that verbally of course!

A few seem to have found the b/grounds easier to do than the flowers - I'm so looking forward to seeing everyone else's interpretation but I'll have to warn everyone to bring their sun specs with them for mine :D :lol:

I did a pastel first as a pre-painting sketch, then used acrylics (I'm sure VG would have loved those paints if they'd been available :D)

chaosia
10-18-2007, 05:45 PM
ish having doubts over mine XD

Signchick
10-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Everybody! :wave:

I think I might be done. I've been adding a little bit every day, for days! I keep changing my mind. I'm doing something totally out of the box for me. It's been fun, so I'll post it in the spirit of the challenge. I won't even mind if you laugh! :lol: It's a growth thing, right?

Finnegan18
10-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Finnegan, the whole point of the project is to pick out characteristics and try to produce something in the spitit of VG, not copy any of his work! :D
We all paint from the refs given - one or all of them - and try to produce a piece which says "Ah! like a Van G!!" :D
The refs were deliberately not irises and sunflowers!

Beccy - glad you joined in :thumbsup:

Shari - I've just finished mine today - nearly resorted to the trowel! :lol: :lol:
Took me about 6 or 8 hours I think!
I wasn't going to copy any of his work. However, like him, I find Irises and Sunflowers inspiring to paint. That was why I asked. Daylillies aren't as inspiring to me. I will enjoy seeing everyone's paintings. Who knows, I may find myself inspired after all. Maybe I will attempt it and see where it takes me. :)

TessDB
10-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Soooo.... I'm on attempt number three... And I've officially given up on trying to mimic his style where brush strokes are concerned (suspect part of my problem is that I'm using colored pencil. The medium itself seems to prefer fussy detail, as opposed to bold blocks of color. At least, how I do it. :rolleyes: )

Instead, I'm trying to focus on how Van Gogh used composition & color to direct his viewers. Overall, I'm glad I decided to do this. But Yeesh! Didn't expect it to be *quite* this much of a struggle. :rolleyes:

Tess

fawnridge-art
10-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Tess, that is exactly why I went to paint for this one! CPs do give a different approach. Good luck with yours! I bet you can get a good VG comp feel though!

I haven't worked in my acrylics for awhile, so this is a good challenge! We are supposed to be reaching out to new things, and stretching our palettes, right?

I have done VG before, copying for technique learning, but to think like him and figure out the comp, this is a tuffy! I'm on my third attempt!
Thanks Maureen! :lol:

Charlie's Mum
10-19-2007, 01:49 PM
I wonder how many of you got carried away - as I did - by this!
I've really enjoyed it though - more than I thought I would.

I do think you should post all attempts - they may even show a progression in your work.

Incidentally, don't know how far each of you has delved into VG's paintings - I found a painting of a vase of Crown Imperials - fritillarias.

Lisa - I do hope you give this a try - I wish you could have joined us last month - the refs were irises! :D

Tess, my hat's off to you trying this in CPs - but I'm sure it will be good! :D

shari814
10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
Maureen, I've spent a lot (TOO MUCH:lol: ) of time looking at VG paintings from the links you provided- thank you, btw. Interesting how many floral still lifes he did in the early years, and of all different kinds of flowers.

You can really see his brushwork change with each year, too (I think as his mind got more intense, so did his paint.) I have to admit, I've learned a lot. I still don't like VG- never have, his paintings used to make me CRY as a child, and I blame him for my dislike of the color yellow:D , but I certainly have a better appreciation for his style. And, okay, there's a few paintings that are okay....

Shari

fawnridge-art
10-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Shari- I have, on the other hand, a great liking for Van Gogh. I have a painting I did of the chair, minus the onions in the box, hanging in my dining room. I love his use of layered colors. And in a lot of his works, no brown! It is amazing how to make it look brown with colors side by side!
I had also copied/painted one of his iris paintings and was blessed to see it in person at the Getty Museum one year. I just stood in front of that original for 15 minutes or more, staring, absorbing. It was a moving moment.

geminisinger
10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm new to this website. I love to paint flowers and I love Van Gogh. Is it too late to join this project? :confused:
Jackie

Fozbot
10-19-2007, 06:09 PM
it's never too late, Jackie. jump right in.:)

geminisinger
10-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Great! I have a painting day tomorrow!
Jackie

Charlie's Mum
10-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Oh dear Marion - you're five days early!
I've saved it though and will move it back on 25th:D - my goodness girl, you might intimidate the rest of us! :lol::lol:

Jackie - welcome to the forum and the project :D
The 'reveal' date is 25th of the month and the thread is open until the end of the month - so you still have 11 days left :D

marionh
10-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Sorry Maureen - I'm such a dill:D
Thanks for moving it - I was obviously in Acrylics forum mode and soooooo keen to post!

TessDB
10-20-2007, 07:10 AM
I do think you should post all attempts - they may even show a progression in your work.

:o

ahem.

:o

Except I rather violently and dramatically binned them. :evil: Felt good though! :lol:

I should finish mine this weekend. Keep wobbling between "yuck, what was I thinking" and "Wow, that's actually pretty cool..." :rolleyes: We'll see if anyone else can see *any* VG influence. Hubby peeked over my shoulder and said "I thought you were doing something that was supposed to look like VG" :eek: Long, torturous lecture about exactly *how* the piece has been influenced followed. Poor man. :D

Welcome aboard, Jackie!

And Marion is ... done? YIPES. Gotta get moving...

Tess

Signchick
10-22-2007, 08:51 AM
I thought I was done until I scanned it! Wow it changed into a speckled mess! I never saw any speckles until I scanned it. :eek: Eeeew! Now I must get back to work! I'm using acrylics, so this project just keeps getting thicker and thicker! :lol:

geminisinger
10-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I finished my tiger lily on Saturday (I only paint part-time, so I probably don't have enough layers of paint!) I'm going to have to "read up" on how to upload it on the 25th...my girlfriend and I decided it looks something like an octopus disguised as a watermelon! :p Acrylics on canvas are still very challenging to me - I started in watercolor. I really enjoyed the challenge, though!
Jackie

jeanvrb
10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
How many saw "Lust of Life" with Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh on Turner Classic Movies last night (Tuesday)? I had never seen it and it was quite interesting. Got me more inspired to do this project, which I was already interested in. Mine will probably be posted a little late, (hope that's okay), as my husband and I took a few days last week and this week for a short trip to Kentucky to view Fall color. It was very beautiful around Mammoth Cave area, labeled on weather.com color map as near peak.

Jeanette

Finnegan18
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
U-tube has some great video on Van Gogh. Just type in Van Gogh and turn up your speakers. Very moving. Can't think of the name of the artist but the song "Starry, Starry, Night." was written for him.

geminisinger
10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
I think the artist was Don McLean, the same person who wrote "Bye bye Miss American Pie".

Signchick
10-24-2007, 03:53 PM
That was good! Bad thing is, as I was watching it, my painting quit looking like anything Van Gogh! :lol:

Charlie's Mum
10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, come tomorrow, you'll see if 'Lust for Life' inspired you ....... or otherwise! :lol:

I saw that donkey's years ago - and read the book too.

See you all tomorow :D

Polygon
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Are we there yet? Where are the Australians and New Zealanders when you need them? :D

Dewi
10-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi everyone :wave: now is Oct-25, 10 AM Bkk time
I'm not from Down Under, is it alright if I post it now :lol: Polygon
Well I'm quite new here and know nothing about VG, did check the links but missed to check the first link until last night.
Sorry if this is not VG or proper so I brave myself to post it.
Late last night I don't know what made me adding some blue violet on the left bg :) so here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2007/61325-Web-Lily-Oct.07-001.jpg
Have to do some errand and will check yours later and thank you for looking.

Terry Wynn
10-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Hi, Dewi,

I love your version. The background is Van Gogh like but more modern... just love it!

Terry

marionh
10-25-2007, 04:18 AM
Dewi this is lovely. The variation in the background with the darks make the flower stand out more. Well done.

ticktock01
10-25-2007, 05:52 AM
My version of Van Gogh Lilies.
I still have another to submit, which I will do later.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/67164-2007-10-08_134719b.jpg

C_Line
10-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Dewi and Terry, very nice submissions, both quite exciting!

I checked out a book about Van Gogh a couple weeks ago and found what I've read to be so very interesting. I hadn't remembered how short his career was at just 10 years and that the first couple was spent exclusively with drawing. So, I almost submitted a drawing instead, but decided to go with my favorite medium, acrylics mixed with lots of gel medium. This is 8 x 10" acrylics on Multimedia ArtBoard. Done Alla Prima Tuesday night. I tried to imagine the colors that he might have used...not an easy task! I also worked from a b & w version, so these colors may/may not be similar to the photo reference. I also tried to sign my name like he signed his -- albeit I used my last to get to use my "V". This was a fun project for sure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/94054-Van_Goghs_Lily_small.JPG

marionh
10-25-2007, 06:21 AM
Here are mine. I had great fun with the backgrounds but not so much with the flowers.
Great exercise Maureen. Thanks for the challenge.
Both on canvas. The day lily is 46x55cm, the tiger lily 33x40cm.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/42113-IMG_2624_Medium.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/42113-IMG_2618_Medium.JPG

marionh
10-25-2007, 06:30 AM
Terry, really nice. Your background is very starry starry nightish and I like the way you've treated the flowers.
Celeste, I love the colours on the flowers. Good idea to do it from a BW photo, avoids getting bogged down on making it look too much like the reference colours which is what I do.

C_Line
10-25-2007, 06:36 AM
Super job Marion - I feel VG's brushwork very much in your backgrounds - excellent.

Dewi
10-25-2007, 06:44 AM
I was in a hurry forgotten to add it was acrylic on canvas panel size 24 x 30 cm.
Thank you for the challenge Maureen.
Thank you Terry (tjhi), Marion, Celeste for your kind comment.
Beautiful work Terry (ticktock01), I like how you did your bg.
Celeste, your work is always beautiful love your bright colours and strokes.
Marion, beautiful flowers, I like your bg too, imagining how fun painting them.

edtree
10-25-2007, 07:03 AM
I've been very excited to see what everyone did with this challenge. So far, these are all GREAT! :clap: I'll be back after work and over the weekend to comment individually but I wanted to at least post mine this morning, on time for once.:lol:

It is an acrylic painting, 9" x 9" on watercolor paper. The background is probably more Van Gogh-y than the flower. I did try though. It was a great experience and I will try the technique again next time I do grass! Thanks Maureen for making me stretch.

Elizabeth

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/94944-DSCN58450001.JPG

TessDB
10-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Wow! They all look great!

Want to get mine posted before I fiddle it to death. Like I mentioned before, I gave up on reproducing VG's style, and instead tried to focus on how he used composition & color. So I spent a lot of time staring at his landscapes... And for the record? I'm not a landscape person. So this was a great opportunity for me to stretch in *all* sorts of ways. Mostly I'm pleased. There are several things I wished I'd done differently (big swirl in the sky is first & foremost on that list), and a few I'm filing away for future use.

8x10 on dura-lar double sided drafting film backed with black using FC Polychromos colored pencils.

All C&C welcome for future pieces!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/46497-Done10.25.07.jpg

Tess

Signchick
10-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I am so impressed with what I have seen so far!!! Dewi, Terry, Celeste, Marion, Elizabeth & Tess, they are all beautiful! :clap:

I am a greenie, especially with flowers, so please excuse my attempt at Van Gogh. I had fun trying. Thanks for the challenge, Maureen!!

Acrylic on MiTeintes 7.5" x 10.5"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/110446-Yellow_Daylilies_2.jpg

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Charlie's Mum
10-25-2007, 08:18 AM
What a fantastic array of work from you all! Thank you all for rising to the challenge!
I'll be back later to look individually but I'm just home from a hospital appointment and lunch calls!
Here's mine - VG loved the colour yellow - that's why I think he'd have loved acrylics :)
Acrylic on canvas, 20x16" and I really enjoyed doing this!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/30494-My_VG_lilies_001.jpg

Dewi
10-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi Elizabeth, love your bg like flowing tall grass and your flower is is beautiful.
I think your bg is very VG too Tess and beautiful soft pencils flower.
Hi Beth, thanks and you have a very beautiful painting too, interesting bg.
Hi Maureen, beautiful flower arrangement with beautiful contrast VG bg.

chaosia
10-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Ohthere are some great ones already posted and all look van gogh like. I like how ticktock did theirs hehe.
anyways heres my attempt in oil pastels, i not too pleased with it being a van gogh style but i did emjoy using my oil pastels again.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/91382-lily.JPG

Polygon
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Wow, these are all so amazing to look at! They're all so different, and yet when you think of Van Gogh as the common influence, you can really see that too in each one.

Here's mine- I think I might have been channelling the 1980's instead of the 1880's for my background- kind of reminds me of a discount dining room chair fabric that was common at the time! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/97132-van-gogh-daylily.jpg

ranunkel
10-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Dewi: Great VG style :) I like you brush strokes!

Terry: You also have some great brush strokes, and I like you dark back ground.

Celeste: Very lovely use of colours!

Marion: My favourite is the orange lily. I like that you outlined it, VG also did that in many of his paintings.

Elizabeth: When I first looked at your painting I thought it was done in colour pencil, it got the lovely softnes of a CP drawing. I have to try acrylic some day.

Tess:Great VG back ground, love the sky and field.

Beth: Very interesting way to paint, and I see you also outlined the flowers!

Maureen: I think you are a very good VG painter :thumbsup: The vase is taken out of a VG painting.

Becky: Nice to see a oil pastel ! I am amazed you could do the fine detail of the flowers in this medium.

Polygon: Lovely VG style. I like your background, it pops the flowers!

ranunkel
10-25-2007, 10:35 AM
I did two VG try outs.

My first was done in Water soluble crayon. I decided to try with poppies, but it turned out to be more of a landscape than a floral painting.

The I got a new digital pen and decided to try to paint digital.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/18189-van-marianne1-600.jpg
Water soluble crayon, size 10.2 *14.3 inch, on fine water colour paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/18189-van-marianne-600.jpg
Digital pen. Corel Paint X, size 5.7*5.9 inch

Charlie's Mum
10-25-2007, 10:51 AM
This is a beauty Dewi- whether or not the flower is VG-ish, it's a lovely painting of the tigerlily!
I like your b'ground too - it takes quite a lot of effort doesn't it? :lol:

Terry - just love all those brush strokes and the patterns they form.
I like everything about this work! What medium and size is it? Very VG-ish in treatment! (IMHO!)

Celeste - this is so pretty! Vaught a la VG!!! It's much more feminine than VG - it's your own and you've made a Vaught comp out of it too!
I really like those colours and the treatment with the paint. Nice! :)

Marion - those yellow day lilies are painted with such freedom and abandon - I think VG would approve of the expressive treatment here - and the colour! The tiger lily looks as if it's about to be consumed by blue fire! Such vitality - lovely!

Elizabeth - what a beautifully painted flower! Yes, I think this is a lot more delicate than VG would have done, but oh how pretty it is! The grass is really starting to look like his textures and the colours are lovely.

Tess - I take my hat off to you doing this with CPs! This is astonishing!
I love the treatment and the outcome - the flower is gorgeous but the way you've adapted the b/g from VG to the medium is very good - :thumbsup:
I like this very much!

Beth - no 'Greenie' here! You're now a fully-fledged flower painter! I really like this treatment - the b'g is more sombre perhaps than VG's flower paintings on the whole, but harks back to his earlier work - an interesting touch! I like this piece very much - also like the patterning in the b'gd.

Becky - so pleased you did this! You have a nice control over those OPs and the flower has a nice exuberance that VG would surely have had!
Good colour too I think :)

Nancy - Lol at the 1980s b'ground! (Actually, I love those colours!)
The yellow lilies definitely have the VG swirly petals though - didn't he seem to enjoy getting all those lovely swirly shapes down in paint? ...... as if straight lines were anathema to him?

Marianne - the digi lily exudes enjoyment! The colours are super and seem to trap the sun ... VG would definitely approve! :D
I like what you were trying with the crayon one too - makes a very nice painting.

It's been such a joy (again) to see all this work - a common theme of course with all the lilies, but also with the personal interpretations too, they still have recognizable VG influences in them.
Did you, as I did, find it hard not to stray into your own way/style/methods?
It's bound to happen I think, especially as we don't make a habit of copying others' work! :lol:
Thanks, all, for joining in! ........ more yet to come I hope!

Charlie's Mum
10-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Sorry - meant to upload this earlier; it's the sketch I did in pastel when trying to get a VG style!
Approx 9x12" on Ingres pastel paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/30494-VG_pastel_lilies_sketch.jpg

shari814
10-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm running off to work, so I'll have to come back and comment on all the wonderful submissions, but here's mine-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/110948-vangogh.jpg.JPG

Oil (lots and lots of oil! :lol: :lol: ) on 8"x10" canvas board

Shari

geminisinger
10-25-2007, 12:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/115429-TigerLily.jpg
I'm new to this, so I hope I've got the image to the right size. I've been viewing the stunning :thumbsup: paintings for this project. WOW!!!! I really enjoyed the challenge of this assignment, and hope to participate again soon. Thanks for the opportunity. Jackie

Signchick
10-25-2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the comments on my daylilies! :wave:

Dewi- I love the woven look of your bg and the amazing glow on the petals.

Terry- Your painting is exactly what I had in my head. I just didn't have the skill to get it to the paper. Thanks for doing it for me. :lol: I love it.

Celeste- Love the thick texture and the wonderful, wonderful light!!

Marion- Both of yours are beautiful!! I love the blues you chose!!

Elizabeth- Beautiful silky and shiny look on your flower! Very nice!

Tess- Magical!! Your blue swirlies are perfect and that floating flower is awesome!

Maureen- Wonderful!!! I didn't have my sunglasses handy, but I think it's spectacular. The dark blue really makes the colors sing!!

Chaosia- Wonderful detail in your oil pastel! Great background!

Ploygon- I have seen those chairs! Love the background, the flowers and those playful leaves!!

Ranunkel- Great VG style on those poppies and The lily is awesome! Great paint strokes!

Shari- Lots and lots of oil looks good on your lily. Reminds me of the way VG does sunflowers. You nailed the style!

Jackie- (we cross posted) WOW! Your complimentary colors make a stunning painting!!!

I hope I didn't miss anyone! These are a feast for the eye!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ranunkel
10-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Maureen: Thanks for sharing your sketch!
Shari: Love your VG style :thumbsup:
Jackie: Welcome ! Love the colours in you painting :thumbsup:

fawnridge-art
10-25-2007, 03:26 PM
OK, I'm posting before looking. Will come back later to respond.
This isn't the one I wanted to post, but didn't get to it. This was my first attempt. :o The bg is VG but the lily is more my style. This was harder than I thought it would be!!!!!! :rolleyes:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/42592-vg_lily_web.jpg

16 x 20" acrylic (not my normal medium)
reference photo- DSC_3487a

ticktock01
10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Here's my second submission.
I think I like this one a little better than my first one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2007/67164-2007-10-12_195658.jpg

ticktock01
10-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Some terrific stuff submitted here today. I can't decide which is my favorite.

Finnegan18
10-25-2007, 08:36 PM
You all did great jobs. I never did get one done. Maybe next month's challenge will find me with more time.

shari814
10-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Okay, now I can comment on these great paintings!:

Dewi: I love the background! So hard to do that even little brushwork, isn't it?

Terry: Both are really cool- I think I like the swirliness of the first one best, though!

Celeste: Absolutely beautiful! The background looks a lot like VG's roses painting- just perfectly textured!

Marion: The flower was much harder for me, too- I kept wanting to paint it MY way. :lol: You did great, though!

Elizabeth: I think your background has a definite VG feel. This project was such a stretch from the way from most of us paint that it stretched wayyy past our comfort zones! I kept saying to myself, "When in doubt, add more paint!:rolleyes: " I ended up with such a thick layer I doubt it will EVER dry!:lol:

Tess: Your composition is very VG, and sort of surrealistic at the same time- very cool!

Beth: Your flowers are excellent, and the colors are very VG- are you sure you haven't been secretly painting flowers all along?:)

Maureen: :cool: (Sunglasses on, like you warned us!) It's not THAT bright! Love both versions! I like how the strokes radiate out from the bouquet- brilliant!

Chaoisa: Great job on your daylily. I thought OPs would be perfect for the project, but my attempt was a disaster. Could not get the right look. Who knew?

Polygon: You crack me up! (Come to think of it, I think I had a shirt with that pattern!) Your flower edges are sooo VG, though- in fact, your whole flowers are- backwards from most of us who had less problem with the background than the flower!

ranunkel: Wow, that digital pen looks fun- what a neat texture! I love the "brush" strokes!

Jackie: Great Impressionistic brushwork- wow!! Love the colors, too- this just pops out at ya! Great job!

Kathy: Wow! You really went for a stretch, with a new medium! Good job!

I hope I didn't miss anybody. I know I certainly learned a lot from this project. Channeling VanGogh was not easy, especially because, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I've never been a fan of his.

However, I must say that it was scary to me how once I started actually painting, I could see how maybe he made some of his decisions as far as brushwork and color. (I hope that doesn't say too much about my mental state!:D ) Hmmm, now I just need to find a Theo so I can quit work and paint all the time.....

Shari

Signchick
10-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Wow! You are a great bunch of brave souls. This challenge has been fascinating!!! It is hard to channel an artist who is so unlike my style!!

Shari- Thanks for the compliments!! My first flower was around August of this year, in watercolor, over at WDE. They are intriuging, but difficult.

Kathy- Your wonderful bg really makes your blooms glow. Very nice!!

Terry- Both of yours are very VG. The light on the petals on this one really shines!!! Love it!

Charlie's Mum
10-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Terry, is this a digi? How did you do it?
It's gorgeous - really traps the sun! Love those changes in colour and tone ... Wow!

debsn2paintn
10-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Wow these are all so beautiful! I have enjoyed seeing them all. I wish I had more time to do this project.

ranunkel
10-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Terry: You second flower is lovely.
fawnridge: Your lily is also beautiful and I love your background.

Terry Wynn
10-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi, Everyone,

I am posting and then I will do another post to say how beautiful everyone's art is.

Here is my try.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2007/48675-P1060711.jpg

Terry J.

TessDB
10-27-2007, 08:37 AM
And I've finally made it back to comment on everyone's... Just wanted to say that it seemed we all paid *lots* of attention to the backgrounds, as if the focal point would take care of itself! :lol:

Dewi-- Love the block pattern of the BG. Really effective in moving the viewer's eye around without overpowering the flower. Well done!

Terry (TickTock01)-- Really cool, love the "flow" of the BG around the flowers in your first one. The 2nd one is cool, too, but I'm really digging the 1st!

Celeste-- Really really nicely done. Quite jealous, in fact. You nailed what my earlier attempts were aiming for! My hat is off to you!

Marion-- Both of yours are great, but I really like the 2nd one. Really strongly reminded me of flames, and that hot summer feeling I associate with the flower.

Elizabeth-- Really like how you did your BG. I can almost *feel* the breeze blowing through those grasses! Well done!

Beth-- Very very nice. I really like your choice of BG color-- makes the flowers pop so nicely!

Maureen-- I love the richness of the colors in your first one. And it is really interesting to see the differences & development between the pastel & the acrylic versions.

Chaosia-- Love the darkness and rich depth of your BG. Really pushes the lightness of the flower. Very cool!

Polygon-- I think we had those dining room chairs in my 1st apartment! Love your treatment of the flowers. And the bg works with them *very* well!

Marianne-- Really love your poppy field... loose & light & really *nice.* (And I gotta ask... is painting digitally easier for you than more, uh, traditional methods?) The digital lily is really interesting... I keep looking at it trying to figure out the *how.* Thanks for making me think!

Shari-- The texture of the oils & your brush strokes works *so* well. Moves the viewer's eyes around in a very VanGogh sort of way! Well done!

Jackie-- Great use of color! I really like the delicacy of the stamens next to the more solid petals. Great job!

Kathy-- Smart of you to abandon the cp's for this one... Love the richness of the sky & flower. Very nice!

Terry J.-- I'd say you did more than try! I'd say you've got it! Love the warmth of the background against the coolness of your yellows.

Whew~~ My apologies if I missed anyone. And a million thank-you's for all the nice comments on mine. It was a wonderful exercise (thanks, Maureen!), but not sure I've got the guts to try it again...

Tess

edtree
10-27-2007, 09:46 AM
:wave: Good Morning! I finally had a chance to give each Van Gogh creation my undivided attention this morning. :lol: Individual comments below:

Hi Dewi! When I first saw this, I thought, WoW! The flower looks so perfect on that background! It reminds me of sparkling light through glass block – how interesting, unique, and wonderfully appealing! All together, you did a terrific job on this challenge!

Hi Celeste! Love seeing the brushstrokes and texture in the background! The flower has been perfectly simplified down to the exact right amount of detail and the purple edges were a yummy touch! I have to say too how much I like the placement of your signature too. It was something I debated on at length, considering this is a Van Gogh exercise. It’s kind of scary to place a siggy where you did, but it looks awesome there. Lastly, I like that you “greened” the far bud. I may change mine as I was not fond of the almost black look from the ref. Hope you don’t mind my borrowing your idea. Anyway, LOVE your entry - Great job!

Hi Marion! My gosh, you did TWO! And two wonderfully Van Gogh-y paintings these are! In the first, the two yellow lilies seem to be dancing amongst the greenery of the background. Lots of movement, which to me is a very difficult thing to do with paint on a flat surface. WoW! In the second, the lily is definitely the star of the show. So well done – so Van Gogh. Excellent entries, both. I’d love to see these in frames!

Hi Tess! There’s something very exquisite about your painting…. the gorgeous yellow flower against the subtly Van Gogh sky creates a soft, dreamy atmosphere that I find extremely appealing. Wonderful addition I thought with the rows in the field behind/below. As a whole, your painting promotes a sense of peace and happiness. I love this style that seems to be a melding of both you and Van Gogh. Lovely, simply lovely.

Hi Beth! WoW! All this needs is to be signed in a really odd spot like Van Gogh would, hehehehe. That background must have taken you forever! It was an outstanding choice and provides the perfect backdrop for those Van-Gogh-y lilies. I just love this!!!!!!

Hi Chaosia! I think oil pastels were a perfect choice both for a Van Gogh project and for this subject/flower. I love the soft, muted background with its distinctive color patches…especially the bold blue behind and to our left. The yellow flower really pops and you’ve done a great job giving the lily dimension and beautifully flowing pedals. Wonderful entry!

Hi Polygon! I had originally started with this ref and tossed it. Couldn’t get the flowers to look right. But you, however, have rendered them perfectly! Just like I envision they should be – and the green outlining is excellent! WoW! Love the background too. Not too 80s – just right, I thought. You should be very proud of this!

Hi Ranunkel! I REALLY love your poppies! What a great way to get warmed up and into the Van Gogh style. This is definitely a farmable piece as is the digital second entry. Outstanding work!

Hi Maureen! WoW! The background in the painted version is out of this world! I love the way it encircles the flowers in its design. The flowers in the vase look very natural together – nice arrangement – great display! The outlining is well done – so much so that you barely know it’s there which to me is very Van Gogh-like. Love the vase especially in the pastel version. What great entries!

Hi Shari! Your entry reminded me very much of something Van Gogh might have painted. I love your color choices, the chunky texture overall, and the simplicity of the flower in the vase. So much eye appeal! This will look fabulous framed!

Hi Jackie! You did everything perfectly right! I applaud you on this and appreciate the difficulty of this particular subject. – a very complicated flower, I thought. You have presented it with the exact right balance of detail. The bits of green really sets off the red of the flower and the blue background makes the whole thing sing. I just love this!

Hi Kathy! How perfect that you put leaves in yours! I REALLY like it this way. Your painting is excellent compositionally and well executed in both style and color choices. Love, love, love it!!!!!

Hi Terry (ticktock)! WoW! Two excellent entries! You nailed the Van Gogh style in my opinion. The flowers really pop in that first one and the background is perfect! Second is also outstanding! Amazing what can be done digitally! These both look hand painted to me.

Hi Terry J.! Your flower and buds are so nicely loose and spontaneous. The background looks very Van Gogh to me – it’s like a red sea on a windy day. Lots of movement! The interest you’ve created using both color and direction of brushstrokes really “works” here! Great job!

I hope I didn’t miss anyone; if I did, PLEASE tell me! :) I enjoyed seeing and studying everyone else’s work more than I did painting mine, lol. I for one, have learned so much, both from the Van Gogh research (and seeing so much of his work), AND from seeing all the wonderful interpretations from everyone here. I can’t wait to see what Maureen has in store for us next month!!!!!

Thanks too for the comments on my entry everyone! They are so very much appreciated!

Elizabeth

Charlie's Mum
10-27-2007, 11:29 AM
TerryJ - I know I commented on this last night! The gremlins are at it again - stealing!!!!

This looks like OPs right?
I think the b/g is very VG-ish - it's the starry night without the stars! :lol:
Love those colours and the movement.

Thanks Tess and Elizabeth :thumbsup:

Tess - it's OK, you won't have to do this again :evil: - but I expect you to join in next month's!!! :lol: Different guts needed! :lol:

ranunkel
10-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Marianne-- Really love your poppy field... loose & light & really *nice.* (And I gotta ask... is painting digitally easier for you than more, uh, traditional methods?) The digital lily is really interesting... I keep looking at it trying to figure out the *how.* Thanks for making me think!

No I find it difficult to paint digital, but it was a lot of fun to try it.
I worked in Corel Paint Shop Pro X. I used oil brush, and crayon tools.

I stated the painting with a sketch I sipmly traced the flower with a light yellow line. Then I blocked in the main colours and saved the image,and created a new layer.

In layer no. 2 I painted the shadows, and saved the image.

Then I crated layer no.3, and painted the highlights.
In the last layer No. 4, I painted the small spots on the petals.

I worked on the painting for two days on and of.

fawnridge-art
10-27-2007, 01:57 PM
I am really enjoying our time together in our gallery/classroom setting. Enjoyed everyone's pieces:

Dewi- Your effect almost has a plastic look- a glow to it. How did you ever achieve that in acrylic? Wow!

Terry- 1st one- love the swirl bg and your lilies look great! 2nd one shows a lot of emotion/movement. Love it!

Celeste- Love the secondary color theme you used! The signature is great!

Marion- WOW- 2 of them! Like the colors and style of the 1st one. Am drawn more to the second one. Don't really know why.

Elizabeth- I love the colors and textures you achieved. The grass is great, also. Great painting!

Tess- WOW and with cp no less! I wasn't that brave. Love how it turned out- flower is really bright in front of your great bg!

Beth- for a 'greenie' you captured a great look!

Maureen- good color choices. That is the comp I was going to do but didn't get to- from VG's sunflower vase! Bravo for your piece and using several of the ref flowers! Like your sketch piece also.

Chaosia- very soft look you achieved. VG but also a soft feel to it.

Polygon- Love the look of your flowers- I lol at the description of being from the 1980's- funny, funny!

Marianne- very interesting bg with water soluble crayon. Are they similar to work with as watercolor cp? Love the 2nd one- I know how involved digital painting can be- love the look you created.

Shari- I really love the textures you achieved! very nice. Yeah- It probably won't be dry for a long time!

Jackie- Very interesting! I love your comp and choice of colors. The painting is great!

Terry J- This is very soft- and the bg is just great! Love the look.

Thank you everyone that commented on mine. This was a fun exercise! Thanks Maureen!

ranunkel
10-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Marianne- very interesting bg with water soluble crayon. Are they similar to work with as watercolor cp? Love the 2nd one- I know how involved digital painting can be- love the look you created.

The water soluble crayon I use are from Caran Dáche, called Neocolor II.
you can draw with them on dry or wet paper. You can use them as water colour if you brush them out, or you can do a drawing and then spray it with water, to make the colours more bright.
You can also draw ligth colors over dark, to make them shine.
In my poppi drawing I used them on dry fine water colour paper.
I brushed the colors with water some places.

Selahs art
10-28-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi,
everyone nice works.

I did start and then scrapped.
Might finish one.
I had so much interference of a lot of things happening.

Retha

Retha

TessDB
10-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Tess - it's OK, you won't have to do this again :evil: - but I expect you to join in next month's!!! :lol: Different guts needed! :lol:

:eek: run away run away!!!

Marianne-- thanks for the info about how you did the digital lily. I want painting digitally to be easier for me than it is. Would be a *wonderful* way to do my Celtic stuff, but just haven't developed the knack for it yet... :cool: And I just don't seem to have the patience for it.

Soooo... any hints about next month's Maureen?

Tess

Charlie's Mum
10-28-2007, 05:50 PM
:eek: run away run away!!!

Soooo... any hints about next month's Maureen?

Tess

Ha! My lips are sealed! :evil:

Charlie's Mum
10-28-2007, 06:26 PM
The Gallery:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2007/30494-Gallery_comp.jpg

edtree
10-28-2007, 07:34 PM
What a great display! Thanks for putting these together in a gallery, Maureen! :clap:

Elizabeth

ANGHWAR
10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Gosh there are some magnificent pieces in that gallery this month.

Am I too late to post my entry.

I have been so busy with the window art nouveau that it slipped my mind to post, however the window is done even if it took me most part of a month.

Here is my digital art of the Tigerlily, not sure if it falls in the Van Gogh category though, I tried to do those swirly things in the sky but had to scrap that idea, it just would not look like he did it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2007/109760-tigerlily.jpg

ANGHWAR
10-28-2007, 09:22 PM
Dewi Exquisite lily love the bg

Ticktock Both of yours are outstanding.

Celeste I can see a lot of thinking went into this well done - love the signature.

Marion I like your style specially the bg

Elizabeth Bg sure is nice but the lily is excellent.

Tess I love you lily the bud is so gentle and the sky for sure is Van Goghish

Beth I love you bg the style in the lilys are great

Maureen clever combining the refs I love how the bg points to the vibrant flowers.

Becky I love your daylily wish I had the patience to do OPS

Poly Your lilys are gorgeous

Marianne your poppys have a nice Van Gogh sky and the digi is superb.

Shari I can see the brushstrokes nicely done.

Jackie I love your composition

Kathy Your lily has a surreal quality, I love the vibrant color.

Terry I love the way you swirled the bg (had a hard time doing that on mine)

Wow what great art this month it was certainly a great trip.

Anghwar

C_Line
10-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Very nice Anghwar, such great textures you've achieved.

Maureen, thanks for assembling the collage - very well done.

marionh
10-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the collage Maureen, it's always interesting to see them all assembled. What a wonderful lot of paintings they are, I think we all deserve a good clap
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sorry I've been so slow in commenting, here are the ones I missed:
Elizabeth - I just love your flower. Very delicate and beautifully painted. Although you feel it's not very van goghy, it is a great painting.
Tess - another beautiful flower and I like the different background. Verrrry brave to do this in CP but you have pulled it off.
Beth - Lovely. I would never guess you are new to flower painting.

Maureen - An imaginative take on the project. It looks lively and full of colour. I like your blues. It's interesting to see your sketch too. In some ways this appeals to me more.

Becky - Great painting and I like the colours in your background.

Polygon - Especially like your background, it makes the flowers stand out. (I think I still have a skirt like your background!)
Ranunkel - I like the sky in your poppy painting but I think your digi painting is superb.

Shari another unusual treatment and what a great effect. like the way you have swirled the background.

Jackie I like your crop on this and your brushstrokes really enhance the effect.
Kathy - Your colour combinations are lovely. The flower pops right out of the screen.
Terry - I liked your first one but your second is gorgeous.

Terry J - The colours and treatment of your background is superb. Altogether very van goghy.

Anghwar - This looks very 3D and tactile. Lovely.

Thank you all for your kind comments on my paintings.
I look forward to seeing what Maureen has in store for us on Thursday.:D

fawnridge-art
10-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Anghwar- I love the textures you achieved on this digital and the 3d effect. You sure got the sunlight bouncing off of it.

Charlie's Mum
10-29-2007, 01:43 PM
Angwhar - that's was a popular image and you've done a lovley, sunny, digi from it - thanks for taking part :) ..... don't know if I'll have time to do another Gallery though, but will if I can manage it :D

Now, where's that 'Thinking Cap'? I know I put it somewhere .........

ANGHWAR
10-29-2007, 01:55 PM
Celeste, Marion, Kathy and Maureen, thank you for your comments, I started with heavy pressure on the buds and eased off as my wrist was taking a beating hence the difference in texture, not sure if I will do a lot in digi it is hard on old bones :lol: .

Maureen you don't have to add me to the gallery it will just take up space, thank you for offering though. Looking forward to next month.

edtree
10-29-2007, 05:42 PM
:wave: Wonderful entry, Anghwar! I too love the textures, which are so distinct they have shadows, lol! I also like the way you did the main part of the flower in the shade and had just a few pedal tops highlighted...very striking that way! Great job all the way around! :D

Thanks too for the comment on my painting! (and you as well, Marion!) :)

Elizabeth

ANGHWAR
10-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Thank you so much Elizabeth

Selahs art
10-30-2007, 12:49 AM
Anghwar, Very nice.
Very busy month, so I did mine digitally,
also posted in the classical forums project.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2007/94287-1481daylily__1.jpg

Retha:wave:

ANGHWAR
10-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Nice one Retha

C_Line
10-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Very lovely indeed Retha.

ticktock01
10-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.

jeanvrb
10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Hope one more late one is accepted. I looked at lots of Van Gogh's works. He had one with yellow flowers and blue stippled background. I was impressed with that, so used the WC reference Lily photos in a similar idea. I am happy with the fact that I completed this one in one day from start to finish - have never done that before. I see many things I can tweak, but wated to go ahead and post before the month is out. I wasn't able to do with the vase, what he did. I should, as he only painted for a few years, but he is a quicker learner than me. From what I read about him, he had no formal art education.

This has been very enjoyable to me. I normally would not use watercolor in this heavy application of paint. A couple of days ago I had tried it with pastels, and the stippled BG was real easy with pastels, but couldn't keep it clean enough to do a good job on the Lillies. I was about to give it up, but got up this morning and decided to try it in watercolors. Van Gogh apparently does not care for soft, faded look, and I was about to go crazy trying to avoid a soft look. When I was almost finished, I couldn't help myself. Had to fade out a little bit, so faded a couple edges of the flowers. I don't think Van Gogh will ever know. :lol: It was a good experience for me, as I have been trying to loosen up, and I think I went a little over the edge on that.

Now I can look at the other entries at last.

Jeanette

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2007/80796-Lillies_for_WC.jpg

Charlie's Mum
10-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Retha - glad you managed to produce a piece after all the angst!
Nice digi :)

Jeanette - so glad you got in!
This is really lovely, soft edges included!
Sometimes the sub-conscious just needs the time to assimilate things don't you think? I found the same as you with the pastel version - but yours has led to this beautiful piece in w/c. Thank you!

Charlie's Mum
10-30-2007, 06:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2007/30494-Gall_2.jpg

I like this size better - if I can find time, I'll re-do the others like this! :)

Signchick
10-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Terry, How floaty!!! Very pretty!!

Anghwar, Your digi lily almost looks embroidered! I really had to double check!! Very Nice!!

Reetha, Wow! Beautiful didi!! Great texture and light!

Janette, Wonderful! I have the same problem with softness. I can't help but go there. You did an awsome job with the watercolors!!

Maureen, Thanks for the gallery! It's wonderful to see them together!!

ANGHWAR
10-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Jeanette, I love the color contrast you have going there.

Maureen thank you so much for making a special gallery for us late comers.

Beth I really appreciate your comments.

jeanvrb
10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Maureen
Did you, as I did, find it hard not to stray into your own way/style/methods?
It's bound to happen I think, especially as we don't make a habit of copying others' work!

Yes, I found it hard to attempt to do this in VG style. Your challenge, as I understood it, was to paint something we would not normally paint. Thanks very much, Maureen, for challenging us. It made me study up on art I really enjoyed, like Art Nouveau, and then Van Gogh. I see problems in my entry, but feel that I learned a lot in attempting it. I never, ever, would have attempted a stippled BG in watercolor, but after testing several methods, I was relieved to find the stipple technique gave me what I was striving for. I'm very unhappy with my vase - VG's was beautiful, and I may try it again.

I went back about 5 pages to be able to view all entries. While I did not comment individually on them, (I was late getting mine in), let me just say from me to all of you
............YOU DONE GOOD KIDS

Jeanette

panny_mouse
11-02-2007, 12:46 AM
WOW, these are all just wonderful! Next monthly project I'm getting in.....so much to learn from all this.

Jeanette, that's amazing you could get a stippled effect with the watercolors. I love your painting and I can tell you put a lot of thought into this. I can imagine it was very difficult to not fade and bleed the colors that's what makes watercolors fun, right?! I think it's very pretty!

Retha and Anghwar both of yours are really vibrant and intense like VG would have done!! What programs did you use and were they manipulated photos or actual paintings in the program? (please forgive me if I've insulted you with this question. It's just so hard to tell)

ANGHWAR
11-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Peggy

Thank you for your comments. Not offended by your question at all, I know exactly what you mean, sometimes it is hard to tell.

I only got my tablet recently and am not even comfortable with it yet. I use Painter X and have in fact painted each and every stroke, it was very difficult. I started with the buds and used quite a lot of pen pressure, you can see the different texture on it, even though I used the same brush. Once the bud was done my wrist was already giving in and I released pressure a lot.

I don't think my future lies in digital art as I found it too tedious and I could not find my personal style in it. Like you, I couldn't see a difference of all the hard work that went into it.

Anghwar

Selahs art
11-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Retha - glad you managed to produce a piece after all the angst!
Nice digi :)

Thank you!

Yes It was just a manipulated photo, next time maybe I will have more time. As My brother always says Life is what happens after you planned it.
Thank you

Retha:wave:

Selahs art
11-02-2007, 02:26 AM
Peggy

This time it was an manipulated photo, with Photoshop.

Retha

Charlie's Mum
11-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Angwhar - I recently bought a tablet and stylus too - I'm finding the same... tedious and not the 'personal' result I'd like ....... not the finesse of painting with real brush and paint!
Daren't tell my hubby that of course! He's waiting to see little miracles on the screen! :lol: :lol:

Selahs art
11-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Charlies Mum

Just practice long enough, it does take time.

Retha