PDA

View Full Version : 4th Pennsylvania Battalion rifleman

garyjd
09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-30-2007/87070_4thpa_done-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-30-2007/87070_4thpa_crop-1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: 4th Pennsylvania Battalion rifleman
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wanted to do more work on historical figure studies in a landscaped setting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any and all feedback.

Ronni
09-30-2007, 07:47 PM
I like this painting. It contains lots of desissions, and looks personal. The riffle compared to the trees, and the man as the combining between them. The leaves and the far light grey view, the serious expression, a lot unknown to us....(the arm looks too short to me). everything is so clean and well done.
Ronni

billmahler
09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Thats a good idea for a series of painting and this is a good entry.

A couple of points:

I agree with Ronni about the arm. Make it match the hands in size and you'll be fine. The hands are first rate.

I assume that he is standing in leaves since the trees are bare. That's not clear to me. Maybe some color variation in the leaves would drive that home more clearly.

Is he barefoot?

Thanks for posting this

thomas w
10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
There are a lot of good things about this. The feeling I get from this is of a soldier out in the woods in the middle of fall, the air is still and cool and he's waiting for directions from some unseen officer. The background is very well done, the atmospheric perspective adds to the isolation of the soldier. The skin tones just seem like they could be toned down and blended a little better. I agree the hands look very good, but the face and legs should be reworked. Great job overall.
Thomas W

garyjd
10-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Ronni, Thank you. I'm taking note that the arm is a bit short and will be mindful of such things on future paintings.

Bill, Thanks. I agree that a little color variation would have made not only made it clearer that he was standing in leaves, but interesting as well. Yes, the figure is suppose to be barefoot.

Thomas, Thank you for your comments. I agree that the fleshy parts could have been done better. This piece was done months ago so hopefully newer work will show improvements.~Gary

GavinD
10-02-2007, 10:33 AM
I'll second what's been said about the anatomical errors, but I disagree that the face needs changing. I like the expression and the style it's painted in, which is consistent with the illustrative style throughout the whole painting. The colours work well, varied but subdued, and create a melancholy, autumnal feel which compliments the subject matter.

Great work!

Gavin

TScottDove
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
the landscape is beautifully sylized. do you ever just do landscapes?

garyjd
10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Gavin, Thank you. That darned arm rears it's ugly head again!lol
I do wish that the face was a little softer in terms of shading, if that makes any sense.

Scott, Thanks. Actually this is only the second time I've done a painting with a landscape in it. I have another older piece I'll be posting soon that is more landscape if anything.~Gary