PDA

View Full Version : Indian maiden

stirling
09-30-2007, 12:00 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
My first try at the female form,any good?
Best from mike.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-30-2007/117890_DSC00280.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Indian maiden
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
all

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
all

Dana Design
09-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually, it's quite good. You've done well with the shadow but you've left hard edges between her arms, body and the distant falls. Softening those, especially on the left side would give a more realistic sense to it (if in fact, that's what you're going for).

The water is very believable! Good work.

stirling
09-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for your comments and tips dana,i will take them on board.
Best from mike.

Slurps
09-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Only suggestion: Perhaps choose a title that's a bit less insensitive?

If I have to explain that, there's no point in doing so.

tony1
09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
This is beautifully done. The shadows are so well done, as is the Indian Maiden's form. The water in the pool is very well done. So here's my only criticism, and it's minor. This may be my monitor, but the falls look a bit icy, not watery. But again, this might be me.

Just an excellent piece.

allanom
09-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Your ''first try" at a ''Native American" female figure is credible -- although your title and subject could be judged patronizing and un-PC (I'm guessing you are not Native American). Just one comment about the butt crack: seems a bit hard and contrasty compared to the balance of the values of the piece. I would soften, lighten and diffuse in that area.

OzieRTgal
10-01-2007, 03:09 AM
I think this is a beautiful picture. to be more politically correct you could call it "woman bathing" but personally I do not feel it to be patronising and I am sure it was not intended to be....just someone appreciating genuine beauty. I am sure it is admiration not patronsation that inspired this painting.

stirling
10-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments and advice.
Sorry it didn,t even enter my mind that the title would be offensive.
Best from mike.

wenkat
10-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Good work! I agree with Tony1 that the waterfall needs to be bit more realsitic. I dont find any offense intended in the title.

Wenkat

Andi Rebirth
10-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Stirling, your work is well executed. I am "native american" and you did not offend me. All good cirtiques. Have you ever looked at Montgomery's native american work? Might give you some ideas.

stirling
10-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Thank you both for your kind remarks,very encouraging.
Best from mike.