PDA

View Full Version : Tulip drawing

ranunkel
09-30-2007, 08:53 AM
I had my last botanical art assignment retuned from my tutor, and was told to improve my shading with pencils.

The first flower I have attached is a drawing of a dahlia I sent to my tutor. The tulip was done after I had critic of my drawings.

I used a more smooth paper for the tulip. I started the drawing with a 6B pencil, and then I went over the tulip with a 2B, HB and finely a 4H.

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2007, 03:57 PM
You seem to have handled the shading well Marianne - I think you could increase the contrast though - lighter lights and darker darks ........ what do you think, bearing in mind your teacher's comments about the dahlia?

Fozbot
10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
great detail and form.:) i agree, push those darks!

billmahler
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Really good progress here, Marianne.
I might leave this one alone and do another with lighter lights, and the same darks you have here.
Your edges are looking good!

ranunkel
10-06-2007, 08:31 AM
Thanks all for you comments!
I puched the darks.

Lady Carol
10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
The tulip is wonderful. I could pick it right off the page.

debsn2paintn
10-06-2007, 10:37 AM
They look very beautiful! And I like the one you punch up the dark on.

ranunkel
10-06-2007, 06:00 PM
One step darker:lol:

fawnridge-art
10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Now you're talking!!! :clap:

Fozbot
10-06-2007, 08:18 PM
One step darker:lol:

push HARDER!!!:clap: :lol:

ranunkel
10-08-2007, 07:21 AM
I went over the tulip one more time with a 2B, Hb and 4H pencil.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/18189-tulip-darker3-500.jpg

Charlie's Mum
10-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Well done!
Your handling of the tones and the pencils is paying dividends Marianne.

I have one tiny crit and it's the left hand petal - that dark curve around the top and downwards tends to make the petal look thick - I think I'd be inclined to use a 'lost' edge for the top where it's bending and catching the light and keep the darker tone for showing the inside against the lighter outer part.

Fozbot
10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
very nice!:thumbsup:

kmb_art
10-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Great looking and very well done!

ranunkel
10-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Maureen.
I have one tiny crit and it's the left hand petal - that dark curve around the top and downwards tends to make the petal look thick - I think I'd be inclined to use a 'lost' edge for the top where it's bending and catching the light and keep the darker tone for showing the inside against the lighter outer part.
I think you are right, I struggled with that peta,l because the flower on the photo I used, had a cast shadow from another flower. I should have done it your way, and I will when I turn it in to a water colour.
I some times find it confusing to do the botanical illustrations, because I am told not to leave any kind of details out. The optimal would have been a photo of a flower with out any kind of cast shadows from other plants.

artinthebush
10-12-2007, 11:49 AM
I think that you must experiment. Your tutor has his own ideas. You don't want to become your tutor, you want to become you; a dynamic, creative and imaginative artist. Push the boundaries. Listen to what others have to say. Use what you consider relavant and carry on regardless until you see work that says to you, 'wow'. I did that and it's fantastic.
That's what I think anyway.
Bob

ranunkel
10-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I think that you must experiment. Your tutor has his own ideas. You don't want to become your tutor, you want to become you;

The class I am taking is a class where I learn how to do scientific botanical illustrations, so I have to be very careful with the details when I do the studies. I actually have to measure the different leaves and flowers with a ruler and a divider.

I have a great deal of respect for my tutor she is an great artist, and she is able to push me that one step further, so I will improve. So please don't misunderstand me I am happy with my class and tutor!

When I do my more artistic drawings, and paintings I don't care what my tutor think:lol:

Most of my art is fantasy art so no rulers there.
The reason I decided to take this class was to get better at drawing details, I have some ideas in my head that I can't get down on paper, and I realised I had to get better at drawing values, and drawing the finer details in plants to get my ideas down on paper. That is why I keep trying, and trying, I want to get better no matter how many pencils I am going to wear out. :evil:

Dewi
10-17-2007, 06:06 AM
Your tulip is beautiful, and I like the way you pushed it darker and darker, good advice for learning here.