PDA

View Full Version : The Ink Well... September 30 - October 6, 2007

objectivistartist
09-30-2007, 05:23 AM
And another week to witness fertile progressions [and am not referring to the crop of yet-to-be babies :eek: ]:lol:[puppies] :lol:[was going to add florals, but is wrong season, huh] :lol: :rolleyes:

justsomedude86
09-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Lol seriously ;)

So how is everyone doing this week? I'm just putting the final touches on everything for my first solo art show, I'll be taking the artwork down to the coffee shop tomorrow to hang. Should honestly be a lot of fun when everything is completely finished and all this prep stuff is done :). Then I got the opening reception friday night, music is already set up for that and everything is good on that.

Also I'm still racking my head over prices for quite a bit of my artwork at the moment. I've asked opinions of several artists on prices and such, and I've gotten widely different answers (one suggested $550 for one piece when someone said $1200 for another o.O). If someone could PM and help me out I would greatly appriciate it!

Ranger Dan
09-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Good luck on the show, Erik! Wish I could help on the pricing, but I'm sure I have no clue. I put some things in the State Fair this year and priced them at what I would like to get for them. If they don't sell, no biggie to me. If they do sell, well then, I feel good about the sale. If I wanted/needed money and/or a sale, then I would need to come WAY down and take a lot less just to sell. Of course, then I'm getting next to nothing for my time & effort.

Oh, and for anyone interested in baseballl at all...GO DIAMONDBACKS!!! (Go Cubbies)

mudslinger
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
i'm taking my owl pic down to the art association tomorrow to enter it into the "black and white" show they're holding this month. it's my first juried show and i have no idea what to expect. i guess i'm a little curious to see how i do against established artists and just to get my name out there if i make it in will be worth the entry fee, i think.

kitty update: little dude is doing fine. (i call him little dude, mrs. mud wanted to call him "squiggy"...i said i don't think so...heh :rolleyes:) he's cutting teeth and he really chews the bottle nipple...i got a new respect for mama cat! :lol:

tvandeb
10-01-2007, 10:57 PM
Good luck on the show Erik!!!!!
Lenny: how fun; a baby kitty!!!! Good luck on the juried show!!!!
And Ranger Dan: I am an avid baseball fan. From Texas; but have been a cubbies fan since a kid. I am estastic that they made it this year!!! Also San Antonio Missions Fan; they are a AAA team, they make the playoffs every year and have a couple of division championships too.
I"m not much of a football fan, though.. I do like cricket or soccer too.

We are in the middle of a move right now, more s.w. Texas; its our first house, our own house. So I am a bit excited! I hate moving though, seems like you accumulate more each time you move.. lol. The nice thing about this house; there is enough room for a small studio to draw; right now I draw in the recliner; or in our kitchen; it works o.k. But we won't be totally moved till the mid to end of Oct. we are doing it right this time and not trying to do it in 2 weeks like last time. Still drawing in the wee hours of the morning
just not as much...
Have a good week all!!!! Take care....:wave:

PVHooper
10-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Much to celebrate, babies and shows, congrats Erick and Lenny. PROBLEM: I can no longer post pictures to Wetcanvas, keeps telling me it is full...any ideas anyone. Otherwise life is grand, off to go river rafting down some rapids this weekend, hopefully will get some nice resource material for some more drawings/paintings.

PVHooper
10-03-2007, 08:34 AM
It seems to have sorted itself out:D

objectivistartist
10-03-2007, 10:05 AM
It seems to have sorted itself outDumb things tend to do that....:lol::lol::lol:

MonicaB
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Yes, Paul, there was an issue with image uploading for a day or two, site-wide. Every once in a while, it will let one upload through. Here's a link to the announcement:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6096470#post6096470

Should be fixed soon, I hope!

mudslinger
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
hey, good news! the art association called and informed me that i have won an award with my owl piece. they wouldn't say what i won, exactly, so i'll find out at the opening ceremony on sunday afternoon. i hope it's something that pays money! :p

what a hoot! (sorry...:D)

objectivistartist
10-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Congrats!! :thumbsup:

MonicaB
10-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Very cool, Mud!

Ranger Dan
10-06-2007, 03:01 AM
Way to go Lenny!

Just found out I took 3rd in the State Fair with the Glory of Fall drawing (color drawing category). Nothing for the Christmas House Ruins (same cat). Received honorable mention for the feather drawing (illustration catagory). 3rd pays more than enough to cover the entrance fee, so I guess that's OK. I'm pretty interested in finding out what won, I don't think my work will get much better than what I put in this time. There is an artist reception at the Fair on Friday the 12th and I am planning on attending (for the first time in the 3 yrs they've been doing that-always falls on a work night).

Plus we're going to Southern California for a few days. That's always fun.

Plus I'm working on a piece right now. Nothing special or fancy ~ not even bothering to try a WIP on it. Not sure when I'll finish it, but I've been going pretty good on it.

valchina612
10-06-2007, 05:34 AM
WOW, what a week -- CONGRATULATIONS Erik, Lenny and Dan -- great news from all three of you, and well deserved. I've been on the sicklist this week, so have gotten nix done, but I'm hoping I can make Art Group on Monday so I can have a day out and start something new.
Happy moving Tammy. I'd hate to have to move from here -- I've accumulated SO MUCH stuff over the past 19 years.

Val. :wave:

mudslinger
10-06-2007, 06:49 AM
congrats, dan! but only 3rd place for that piece? personally i think you got gypped. that is about the most astounding color stipple i've seen. you should have taken home the blue ribbon on that baby IMHO! ;)

MonicaB
10-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I agree! Too bad we weren't the judges on that panel, huh? :D Let us know if you get to see the winner, and what you think of it.

Ranger Dan
10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks Lenny, Monica, If their were others like those in here, I could be happy with 3rd. I will take a picture of 1st & 2nd and post them here on next week's ink well

mudslinger
10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
good...i can't wait to do some C&C...;):lol:

justsomedude86
10-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Congrats Lenny on winning that prize, can't wait to hear what it is!

And only 3rd place for that cat stipple?!? Lol that's a first place entry right there Dan ;). Congrats on placing though :)

Just had my opening reception last night at the coffee shop, and wow it went extremely well! The owner said the shop had never been so packed; I think almost 100 people had attended the event at one moment :D. Though I didn't sell anything during the night, I did raffle off a painting of mine that I did specifically for the show for free, and the woman that recieved it was so estatic. So now I'm having high hopes for the rest of the month with ppl coming in and purchasing stuff.

PVHooper
10-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Nicely done Lenny and dude, good to hear that you guys are reaching success, you both deserve it, onwards and upwards is the only way forward, well done.

MonicaB
10-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Fantastic, Erik! Congrats.