PDA

View Full Version : Single Leaf

JanJones
09-29-2007, 10:14 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-29-2007/15484_226-1_painting.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Single Leaf
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wanted to capture the autumn colors in<br>a single leaf, I added the branch as I <br>thought it would need a little something.<br>This was painted on rough. My first experience<br>with this type of watercolor paper and I<br>liked it.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I think I am done with this but I would like<br>to know what you think?

D.W. Flint
09-29-2007, 10:40 PM
This is absolutely beautiful. I don't know how you water colorists do it. I tried it once and had to stay with my oils.
Great job!!! Let's see some more...:thumbsup:

Slurps
09-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Exquisite. The simple lines, the nuanced colors, the subtle suggestion of form: a gorgeous, lyrical piece of art in every sense.

Only critique: I sooooooooo wish you could have put your signature in a less conspicuous place. I understand you are rightfully proud of this picture, but boy, is that intrusive. I almost feel like it's a violation. Sorry, I'm stepping big time on an artist's prerogative here, but that's just the way it hits me. (It doesn't diminish my love for your picture.... I hate feeling like the glass house dweller whose hobby is rock-tossing...)

Dana Design
09-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Simple and beautiful. Very good composition. It truly stands alone as a lovely painting.

JanJones
09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Thank you for your comments. I loved the simplicity of this but I just
wondered if you would think having one lonely leaf was o.k or did I need
to add more to this painting. I am sorry I put my signature where I did now but too late to fix. Next time I will know better.

Corby
09-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Your expertise in what you do is quite amazing and the result is beautiful! Having the one leaf is quite effective, it need have nothing more except in one aspect. (Some are going to, maybe yourself included, disagree very much with what I say)

The leaf as is, is a beautiful image that need have nothing more added to it except for the fact that presented in that singular botanical style, it should be botanically identifiable As it is it is a style that would be usable in murals and representational works. It is more of a beautifully done symbol rather than the real thing. I cannot for example think of a type of leaf that has that alternate veining. Plants will be alternately branched and alternately leaved, but the veins usually emerge as pairs from the central line at the same spot. Some leaves such as Lilacs where the side veins are forked will some times alternate somewhat. Beautiful leaf, beautiful work, but I haven't a clue in filling my desire to know.