PDA

View Full Version : New Assignment #3 STILL LIFE

arlene
05-30-2002, 12:53 PM
Ok for all of you who survived my egg project and the clear glass, here's a new one for you. First some caveats:

1. No outlining allowed at all. It seems to be a problem we all fall into...I myself do it still.

2. You must do a whole composition...that means you must have a background, a middle ground and a foreground planned out. My advice is always to start with your backgrounds and leave your forground objects to last.

3. You may work on colored paper this time if you so desire. Personally I find i get the richest, truest colors on white.

4. You must use colored pencils!

OK now for the assignment.

You will need these things...

1. A shiny metal object that reflects back at you...this should be the major object in the still life.

2. A patterned cloth...meaning it can't be a solid color, unless it's a jacquard with relief weaving on it.

3. An apple, (can be more than one), and two other fruits of your choosing(or more).

4. An object of your choosing that has meaning to you.

Now your job is to arrange them into a pleasing composition...remember that, it's so important. Composition!

Next set up a light source working from only one side. it can be front (not recommended), back (some interesting effects) or either the left or right side...you want to get good deep shadows and highlights.

You may post your work in this thread (preferred) or in the cp forum...

Oh and most important of all:

HAVE FUN!

TeAnne
05-30-2002, 07:05 PM
:eek: Have fun she says:eek: while cracking her whip *ugh* OMG
Yep, okay, not a problem....Will 3 years time do? :evil:

jinn
05-30-2002, 11:45 PM
Egads.

Uhm. Okay. Sign me up. I need to work on my CP techniques. :p Is there a "due" date for this?

TeAnne
06-03-2002, 06:14 PM
I bought a stainless steel plate @ work on the week-end and am gathering up objects. I just have to find a spot to set it up and work on it so I can leave it there. (Very hard to find a spot in the cramped dump :( ) I want to be sitting comfortably for this one and not be all cramped up sitting on top of it. I have great visions about this one lolol

arlene
06-03-2002, 06:20 PM
well folks? this is another great one to learn from!

TeAnne
06-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Arlene, will you make this a sticky please? :) It was almost lost on the 2nd page.

Elankat
06-03-2002, 07:59 PM
ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*pulls out hair*

And I still haven't even gotten around to doing the first ones.

No outlining? I don't think I can do that. Outlining with a cream or white and then a dark or mid-value is how I do highlights.

jinn
06-03-2002, 08:25 PM
I've gotten the objects ready, save for the shiny metal thing. I have a black hematite ball that I was thinking about using, but it's not really metal. It is very shiny and very reflective, though. Of course, it's going in there anyway as the object that means something to me.

I've been practicing with the outlining thing.. I don't know how I'm going to pull this one off. :p The best I've been able to do so far is get a general shape, then draw in an outline, color the base color to the edges of the outline, erase the outline, and go from there. lol probably not what you had in mind. :)

Elankat
06-03-2002, 09:49 PM
I tried to set something up and photograph it. I was doing just fine until I saw the bit about the light source.

I have now decided that Arlene is pure evil. EVIL, I SAY!!!!

sundiver
06-03-2002, 10:15 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by no outlining. Do you mean no dark outline around a light object?
I postcard project 3, 7 of my cards now posted are cp. I just went back and looked at them and don't know whether they are "outlined" or not. Could you clarify a little for an ignoramus like me?

sundiver
06-03-2002, 10:17 PM
...for example, are these guys outlined?

Elankat
06-03-2002, 11:50 PM
I'm sort of confused on this oulining issue too. :)

arlene
06-04-2002, 12:43 AM
what brought it to my attention was when i compared two of my little florals and then again on some of the works here...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2002/yellowroseminiature.jpg

this one i was never pleased with as it appears outlined.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2002/birdofparadiseminiature.jpg

i think i was more successful with this one...especially on the lower half...

sundiver yes that's fine...

teanne i had this as a sticky for a week and only u and jinn responded, which is why i put it in the main...i'll give it another couple of days and then move it to the stickys

arlene
06-04-2002, 12:46 AM
LeAnne i purposely asked you to find objects that you can keep up with the exception of the fruits...the reason being i'd like you all to draw it from rl and not a photo...photos flatten out perspective...

Elankat
06-04-2002, 01:15 AM
Well, I really don't have the ability to set up a still life, even if the fruits didn't go bad.

A 15 month old force of destruction lives in my house and I get MAYBE 2 hours of draw time per day. There really is no way that I can set up something in consistent lighting that he can't mess with. So, I'm afraid it's a photo for me or nothing at all. :)

Which is the reason why you haven't seen me do any still lifes.

darlingart
06-04-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Elankat
Well, I really don't have the ability to set up a still life, even if the fruits didn't go bad.

A 15 month old force of destruction lives in my house and I get MAYBE 2 hours of draw time per day. There really is no way that I can set up something in consistent lighting that he can't mess with. So, I'm afraid it's a photo for me or nothing at all. :)

ROFL - our kids must be twins:) I have a beautiful huge oak desk in my 'studio' (AKA formal dining room put to a better use). All my art stuff is piled about a foot high right at the back of the desk so that my little tornado dosn't destroy it all. So for the next few months at least, still lifes are off my list too.

Elankat
06-04-2002, 09:22 AM
My little "darling" has just learned figured out how to stack things to climb to high places. Now, I have to find a new place to store my pencils. I have a desk with hutch by my drawing table and it has some locked cabinets, but my caddy of pencils won't fit. So, I would put it on the back of the desk. They may have to get jammed into the closet now. He always tries to get them so that he can draw like his mommy (followed by throwing them).

Heck, this morning he broke a fairy statue...one of the outdoor kinds that is made out of a heavy plastic sort of material (just like the one in the Garden Fairy project). I thought those things were indestructible! My little hurricane. :)

Trying to do art or keep art supplies safe with a toddler around is definitely a challenge.

jinn
06-04-2002, 11:39 AM
Eeek. :p reminds me of babysitting my friends 3 kids. Those three could get into anything! I thought I'd have a heart attack when their mother and I was informed by the 4 year old that the 13 month old was standing on the railing of the porch. This wouldn't be such a big problem... but their house was situationed on "dead bunny hill". :p If she'd fallen in any direction other than the porch floor, she would've gone through a tree, fallen about 60 feet and then hit a pile of broken construction bricks from the construction going on below the house.

Anyway, those kids mother was an artist too. She took her pencils and brushes and things that wouldn't fit in the locked cabinets of her drawing table and put them in a big tote bag. The bag was then promptly hung from the ceiling.

Go figure. :)

jinn
06-04-2002, 11:59 AM
this one i was never pleased with as it appears outlined.

I see, I think, what you mean about appearing outlined. It has a darker edge than it seems it would have in real life. So, would a way around this be to make the outline in the color you are going to use for the item you're outlining? Or in white? I thought when you said no outlining to start, you meant at all. Ever. So I was trying to do the shape without any reference on the paper. This wasn't working AT ALL, lol.

kiwicockatoo
06-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Sorry Arlene, I photograped mine. If that disqualifies me, well, I'll just have a nice still life. I set up with a nice strong sidelight and turned my flash off - worked pretty good.

My kids would just destroy it, and at the rate I work the apple would be a whithered gnarled brown lump by the time I'm finished. Actually, I'm pretty amazed we actually still have fruit in the house!

I know, excuses......

arlene
06-04-2002, 04:12 PM
ok kiwi that's fine, but if some of the objects are still around, maybe u could set them up (minus the fruit) just to have a rl reference too...

hey i'm a mother...and like i said, it doesn't get better when they get older...lol

TeAnne
06-04-2002, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't say that Arlene's yellow rose is outlined really, it's just heavily higlighted on the edges. All it needs is the highlites blended more into the petals.

Sticky, when you're ready is great :D
Then we can do progress posts too. Maybe.
Still not found a spot to set up yet. :(
The lounge has no spot for me and the kitchen is so cold, and I have no kitchen table. :(

jinn
06-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Still not found a spot to set up yet.
The lounge has no spot for me and the kitchen is so cold, and I have no kitchen table.

I'm having that same problem. That coupled with the shiny metal object thing. I have several metal objects.. canisters, pencil tin, aluminum breifcase. Aluminum cosmetics case. Bright silver suitcase (I travel a lot, in cas you can't tell.) but none of them are *shiny*. They're all sorta dull and .. well. dull. :p I might use the canister anyway, as it's clear lid would give an interesting twist to drawing this.

sundiver
06-05-2002, 10:19 PM
I had to take a photograph, too, mostly because there's no place with good light and room to work. When I did the eggs I had to put the stuff away and get it back out...never could get it positioned right again. And I don't have time in daylight to work for hours.... life keeps intervening.
My shiny object is my stainless bowl, with the fruit in it. I already had the picture and have been looking at it wistfully, trying to work up courage to try it. I love your challenges, Arlene, because I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but with your encouragement I learn a lot, and without the challenges I would likely be too chicken to try.

arlene
06-05-2002, 10:34 PM
Sundiver i understand about the light and all, but remember we see differently (well most of us...i personally have no 3D vision) in real life than what the camera picks up...cameras distort images and flatten them out. They take away the perspective.

without the practice from rl, we can't discern the differences so that in the future when we do work from a photo, we know how to add to our drawings to make it appear more real.

Lulu
06-06-2002, 02:12 AM
Sounds a great challenge and I'd love to have a go, but I haven't even gotten to challenge 2 yet:rolleyes: I have so many things that I want to finish or even start and RL is getting in the way!

sundiver
06-06-2002, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arlene
[B]Sundiver i understand about the light and all, but remember we see differently (well most of us...i personally have no 3D vision) in real life than what the camera picks up...cameras distort images and flatten them out. They take away the perspective.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Maybe in the summer......
Meanwhile I have to make do. Can we post project pics? I'm ready for advice, including
IS the perspective distorted here?
What kind of cloth do you recommend? (that'll be done in rl, with the bowl in place)
I can never get black paper to scan properly, too grainy, too contrasty..the piece of masking tape helps a little, but anyway, what does it need? (besides someone else doing it!)

Lulu
06-06-2002, 11:08 PM
no use asking me about perspective, I always get it wrong lol:)
but - your rendering of the fruit and reflections in the bowl is fabulous! I feel like I want to pick one out and eat it.

jinn
06-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Wasn't there supposed to be a piece of cloth and an item that meant something to you in here too? Or is that what the blue reflection is?

sundiver
06-07-2002, 04:49 PM
Yes, the cloth's not there yet, I have to decide what to use. The bowl will be ON the cloth.
The blue spot is me, holding a camera!

arlene
06-07-2002, 05:08 PM
Looks great so far! those fruits look good enough to take a bite out of....the perspective looks right..whether it is or not doesn't matter as long as it looks ok.

be sure to check out tonight's FND too! :evil:

Hey you all may wind up hating me, but i'm doing it for your own good! (geeeeeeze, I've turned into my mother)

TeAnne
06-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by arlene
:evil:

but i'm doing it for your own good! (geeeeeeze, I've turned into my mother)
ROFLMAO :p :p

TeAnne
06-07-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
[QUOTE]Originally posted by arlene
[B]Sundiver i understand about the light and all, but remember we see differently (well most of us...i personally have no 3D vision) in real life than what the camera picks up...cameras distort images and flatten them out. They take away the perspective.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Maybe in the summer......
Meanwhile I have to make do. Can we post project pics? I'm ready for advice, including
IS the perspective distorted here?
What kind of cloth do you recommend? (that'll be done in rl, with the bowl in place)
I can never get black paper to scan properly, too grainy, too contrasty..the piece of masking tape helps a little, but anyway, what does it need? (besides someone else doing it!)

Holy bloody Hell, this is just so excellent. WOW, I really want to do mine. (Gotta work again today) :(
I love this lots. WOW

Rod
06-10-2002, 05:52 AM
I'll join in the fun, just give me a bit of time.

Colour pencils and not as fast as watercolours.

Are you joining in as well Arlene on this challenge. ???

Keep those comments and suggestions coming, we do appreciate your time ,

Rod.

arlene
06-10-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Rod
Are you joining in as well Arlene on this challenge. ???
Rod.

Um, uhhh....clears throat...

well not exactly but i am working on a still life.

Elankat
06-10-2002, 12:47 PM
It's better that she doesn't participate, Rod. If she did, we'd all just have to hang our heads in shame because I KNOW she'd show us all up with some brilliant piece. :)

TeAnne
06-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Elankat
It's better that she doesn't participate, Rod. If she did, we'd all just have to hang our heads in shame because I KNOW she'd show us all up with some brilliant piece. :)

I think she should do it as pennence :evil:

Rod
06-10-2002, 08:28 PM
Not at all, Elankat,
we all mix and share together at wetcanvas, :)

Its always nice to be able to see the results of the project leaders initial ideas and thoughts in their own painting ,

Rod.

Elankat
06-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Rod
Not at all, Elankat,
we all mix and share together at wetcanvas, :)

Its always nice to be able to see the results of the project leaders initial ideas and thoughts in their own painting ,

Rod.

Yes! What he said Arlene! You have to do it now. :evil: :evil: :p

arlene
06-11-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Rod
Not at all, Elankat,
we all mix and share together at wetcanvas,

Rod.

Yes! What he said Arlene! You have to do it now.

you can see my ideas in my drawing reflections, my drawing coal miner's memorial, and in bountiful...all three can be found on my still life page on my website.

while i didn't incorporate all the elements into one picture, i did use the idea of those elements in the different pictures. ;)

right now my time doesn't allow for me to do "projects" not with shows coming up, etc.

My art is my fulltime job and as such I need to concentrate on my marketing, arranging workshops and drawing for that. I do this practically 24/7 and still don't have enough time.

Normally these would be elements included into my workshop lessons.

If you'd all prefer I don't put together anymore projects because you want to see what the leader does, then I won't. But please don't give me a guilt trip over not doing them. Thank you.

Elankat
06-11-2002, 09:13 AM
But please don't give me a guilt trip over not doing them. Thank you.

Sheesh Arlene. I was just teasing you. :(

arlene
06-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Leanne,

I'm sorry if i sound peevish, but it seems that on every project that i've posted, plus every project that's even remotely related to colored pencils, i've been "asked" to join in.

It's funny the first time around, but by the 4th or 5th it gets to be a bit old.

I will shut up now...probably my lack of sleep and no coffee yet. :rolleyes:

Elankat
06-11-2002, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry. I didn't know that people had asked you in the past. :( Of course, I'm still pretty new here. I didn't mean to upset you. I was just joking and didn't really expect any projects. I never expect any of the professional artists on the site to be doing projects or challenges. I'm sorry if it came across wrong.

arlene
06-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Nah, i'm sorry.

...like i said, I shouldn't respond before morning coffee...i'm not what you'd call "pleasant" early in the morning (early being anything before 10AM!...and even that's stretching it...lol)

Elankat
06-11-2002, 12:21 PM
Hehe. You sound like my husband. He is a good natured guy, but is downright surly before his morning coffee. It's gotten to the point that I refuse to talk to him if he hasn't had morning coffee and it is anytime before noon. :)

jinn
06-11-2002, 12:26 PM
I think I'm going to have to drift Arlenes way on this project. I think I spoke too soon with the jumping in. :( I now have four commissions in progress and find myself with a significant lack of time for even tying my shoes. Thank gods for flip flops, lol.

So, if I never actually produce a final thing for this project, sorry Arlene. It's nothing personal. :)

orchidlover6
06-11-2002, 03:19 PM
...i'm not what you'd call "pleasant" early in the morning (early being anything before 10AM!...and even that's stretching it...lol)

i can now say I have something in common with arlene:D even if it's not my ability to use cps :D

I'm going to give this a shot.... but pleeeeease be gentle with me. after seeing sundivers grapes all I want to do it go stuff myself with them.

after all they do look so real

Charles Perera
06-11-2002, 05:29 PM
I just finished reading all the posts here. What a fun it was reading through. Lot of humour, talk back, show of anger, making peace, that was really interesting.

I will do the project... unfortunately at my own time. I am too new to CPs to do a large piece as this within a time frame. I think I will also have to photograph it (without the flash).... I agree the project leader should overseer it, without having to do the project herself... that itself is a very responsible job .....

Thanks everyone,

Charles

TeAnne
06-11-2002, 07:36 PM

right now my time doesn't allow for me to do "projects" not with shows coming up, etc. Sounds fair enough to me :)

My art is my fulltime job and as such I need to concentrate on my marketing, arranging workshops and drawing for that. I do this practically 24/7 and still don't have enough time.
I would kill to have this as my life. I hate my job.

please don't give me a guilt trip over not doing them. Thank you.

I didn't mean to make you feel this way. I was joining in the fun that I saw was pulling your legz. I only asked you to join the ONLINE card swap ONLY if you had time :D
I am very moody in the morn. too. Coffee and WC normally fix me up :D

BTW, I'm really trying to pshyce (sp) myself up for the Challenge.
ummmm Who were you in a past life? LOLOLOL

JustjoGA
06-11-2002, 08:19 PM
I see nothing to change at this point... the cloth will only enhance the overall concept... Looks great to me...

sundiver
06-11-2002, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by orchidlover6
[B]

I'm going to give this a shot.... but pleeeeease be gentle with me. after seeing sundivers grapes all I want to do it go stuff myself with them.

Too late! (They were good, too. :D )

orchidlover6
06-11-2002, 11:08 PM
earlier today i believe i might have had an out of mind experience. I think i committed myself to this little project of Arlene's!!! I mean I must have been out of my mind to even consider it let alone work on one.

now here i am threeeeeeee!!!! attempts just getting the composition down WITHOUT OUTLINING and my perportions are all messed up, i'm loosing my hair from ripping it out, if any family member let alone my dog comes anywhere need me i start growling and snapping my teeth at them.

Oh Arlene I HATE YOU and LOVE YOU ALL AT THE SAME TIME.
I hate you push us and I love you make me see and try new things. You little colored pencil vixen you :D

Vernon
06-12-2002, 12:26 AM
Here is my cp still life, ( partially done,) I think it has all the requirements.

I have two apples and two melons in front of a toaster on the kitchen counter. I almost forgot the cloth and I grabed the first towel in the drawer. It is almost too colorful.

I had to make a few changes. That is the problem with not drawing it all out in pencil beforehand! I need to darken the background and go over all of it yet. Just finished the first layer on most of it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2002/fruitcp1.jpg

Thought I would post it and ask if it satisfys all of the requirements.

Oh, yes! The knife is a Gin-su knife I bought 27 years ago at a craft show in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I had just be grousing about our, so called slicer when I had to cut a turkey or a ham and at this craft show, a huckster started calling out that he had a knife that would always stay sharp. He would sell it with 2 paring knives, a potatoe slicer, and a limon juicer for $20.00.

He was drawing quite a crowd and he changed his offer from 1 set to 2 sets and by the time I got up to buy one he was selling 3 sets for $20.00. We have hauled one of them all over from Iowa to Texas, to Alabama & North Carolina, Colorado, and now in New Mexico. We have 2 of them yet and our daughter has the 3rd one and they are still sharp!

jinn
06-12-2002, 12:35 AM
Wow Vernon. Nice!

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 01:33 AM
look closely - what do you see?

it's me saying I give up!!! what was I thinking. I do black and white charcoal and graphite. what am i doing wandering over here? some one hit me and wake me up. actually knock me out it's past midnight and i'm going bonkers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2002/still_life22.jpg

arlene
06-12-2002, 02:01 AM
Vernon it 's a beautiful drawing so far but the one requirement that needs work on is you have outlined some of your elements. The shadows, midtones and lights should define your objects and shapes so u don't need to draw a line around them.

btw: thats what i mean by outline...where a line is drawn around it.

of course u can do a graphite pencil outline to start!

Orchid, now tell me what the problem is? this is looking great but before u go one step further, get your background in!

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 10:18 AM

Orchid, before u go one step further, get your background in!

but the backgrounds aren't any fun mom! okay, actually I did lay the first layer of the background in before i left for work. I will not give up! i might commit mass murder in my family before this is through, but they don't say I'm persistent for nothing! this much has taken me 3 hours already! I'm suppose to be an instant gratification type person..... what's happening to me?!?!? :D

arlene
06-12-2002, 10:21 AM
you're learning to slow down. colored pencil by its nature is NOT an instant gratification way of doing art. It's a slow process.

Even my little 4" x 4" drawings take me anywhere from 8-12 hours total.

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Even my little 4" x 4" drawings take me anywhere from 8-12 hours total.

OMG!!!!!!!

Elankat
06-12-2002, 01:22 PM
lol

Orchidlover! I feel for ya, girlfriend. :)

Arlene, I will be trying to do this one. However, I still have a bit of "recovery" to do from your last still life project. I need to draw a few fairies or portraits to recharge. :)

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 03:32 PM
sundiver or anybody -

which colors did you use for your green grapes to make them so translucent looking?

TeAnne
06-12-2002, 05:24 PM
WOW Vernon and Orchid. Well done. :D

Here is mine. The first outline is down. I'm doing it on Bristol. 11x14. and it's going to take me ages. :(

TeAnne
06-12-2002, 05:54 PM
All of the page isn't showing. The scanner isn't big enough. Will have to use the digital on the final when finished.

sundiver
06-12-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by orchidlover6
sundiver or anybody -

which colors did you use for your green grapes to make them so translucent looking?

OMG that was last week, and I was improvising. Here's what I THINK I used: (it's close, anyway)
underpainted the lightest parts with white
went over the whole grape with limepeel
darks were olive green, dark purple, black grape
Highlights and frosty bits were #914(creamy color), maybe a little celadon green, and white

I think the first 2 steps were the key, and I probably left out something, maybe another layer of green. Guess I should have written it down so I can use it again!

sundiver
06-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Orchid, Vernon, and Teanne, just saw your progress pics and they are great!

I'm still fussing over what cloth to use, and what Meaningful Thing to include. That's my favourite bowl...does that count?:D

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 07:52 PM
here's another hour and 20 minutes of making little teeny tiny circles. :rolleyes: and look where's it's got me.... probably another 3 hours to get all the white covered up. AND THE STUPID SCANNER SHOWS THIS AS BLUE!!!! IT'S NOT BLUE IT'S PURPLE!!!!

and thanks sundiver for telling me what colors you used. of course by the time I get to the grapes I will have to render them rotten. What colors should I use for that?

arlene
06-12-2002, 08:02 PM
only 1 1/2 hours orchidlover? you're not taking enough time to do it. :evil:

and sundiver sorry, that doesnt count!

hey you guys are looking to improve, and i'm thinking up lessons to help u.

so far so good teanne

TeAnne
06-12-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks Arlene. This bugger ain't gunna beat me. grrrrrrrrrr :evil:

Vernon
06-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Well, this is how it turned out. When I got all done I noticed that my correction of the toaster confirmation drawing was inadiquate. I should have done more but it is an improvement over the original.:mad:

It was a lot of fun. And yes it certainly takes more time than watercolors! I am short on pencil colors so I used mostly prismacolors that I bought for this project, a couple Derwents and some Prang pencils. It is done on 9x12 Strothmore Brisstol vellum.

It has been a learning experience! :) :clap: :clap:

I can hardly wait to see the final versions of TeAnne's and orchidlover6's efforts. They look very good.

And we are all in suspense on what sundiver will come up with!

Arlene, please comment on what you like and what you don't. Also anyone else's comments will be appreciated. We also learn from our mistakes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2002/fruitcpfinals.jpg

TeAnne
06-12-2002, 09:29 PM
YUMMY ~ Lookin' real good.......... :D

NEWS FLASH
Aliens have kidnapped TeAnne
She is unable to finish her still life.

I wish. :( See, Arlene is sending me loopy... *Mumble,groan, b*tch*

All in fun peoples :evil:

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 11:56 PM
only 1 1/2 hours orchidlover? you're not taking enough time to do it. :evil:

but i'm not done yet arlene!!!! seee! an update. another hour on the background and i still have lots of itty bitty teeny tiny circles to do. I has getting dizzy from all those little circles so I had to distract myself and start on the good part, my orchid. now don't get mad... put that hammer down arlene please! :D duck everybody... run hide. she's after me , yyyyaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

that's me in the plate hiding from arlene. is she gone yet?

orchidlover6
06-12-2002, 11:58 PM

so far so good teanne

oh now TeAnne's the teacher's pet. humpf! :D

gnu
06-13-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by TeAnne
All of the page isn't showing. The scanner isn't big enough. Will have to use the digital on the final when finished.
Hey Good for you, you started!!!!:clap: :clap: Lookin great!!!

TeAnne
06-13-2002, 05:55 PM
WOW Orchid Looking good :D
OMG this is work is so tedious. Hey Orchid why didn't we do these postcard size? lolol

Here is another 2hours. I havn't scanned my latest two hours yet.

TeAnne
06-13-2002, 07:40 PM
Total of 10 hours work, so far. I'm wasting a lot of the reds by sharpening, cos when I do they are breaking eveytime. grrrrrrr

orchidlover6
06-13-2002, 08:30 PM
hours 5 - 12 AND THE BAD NEWS IS i'm actually starting to enjoy making teeny tiny iddy biddy circles.... what's happening to me? :eek:

Hey Orchid why didn't we do these postcard size? lolol

teanne - i tried but it wouldn't fit! :D

btw teanne, your cloth is starting to look really good. velvety looking.

orchidlover6
06-13-2002, 11:07 PM
14 1/2 hours and I have got to give my hand a break. my carpal tunnel is killing me.

adjusted the colors a bit in adobe photoshop because the background still isn't scanning correctly and neither is the dark reds of the apple.'

NOW I HAVE A DILEMNA....

I scanned a bit of the table runner I was planning on using for the patterned piece but now it looks to similar to the colors in the orchid blossoms and apple. Should I go ahead and use that pattern, or change it now before I get started on it. and yes Arlene I'm starting it next.

If I don't use this pattern, what would be a good color contrast for what I have so far. Remember the background is more an eggplant purple than is shown here.

Thanks for you help... anyone, everyone....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2002/still_life22.jpg14 1/2 hour update. my hand hurts...

:crying:

Vernon
06-13-2002, 11:57 PM
Great picture TeAnne. Red must be your favorite color. BTW are you missing some fruit? I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

orchidlover6, I like what you are doing. I like the runner but then you have seen the towel I pulled out of the drawer for my cloth! I keep checking twice a day to see what progress you have made.

TeAnne
06-14-2002, 02:56 AM
Thanks Vernon, yes, I do love red :D

Orchid, the runner has all of your colours in it. The complementry to purple is yellow and yellow/orange. How about a pale green to compliment your stem?
I love your plate, VERY much. :D :clap:

Mine wouldn't fit on post card either. :(

orchidlover6
06-14-2002, 09:33 AM
How about a pale green to compliment your stem?
:(

but the grapes are light green and then so is the lime... they would blend into the runner and I'd end up having the same problem as the apple.

hummmm, where'd Arlene go?

and thank you vernon for watching me bungle through this.

arlene
06-14-2002, 10:57 AM
do the cloth just make it a bit cooler and grayer. let it sit more in the background. play up the green in it. remember we should never be a slave to what's in front of us...it's our job to edit as we go.

orchidlover6
06-14-2002, 11:36 AM
remember we should never be a slave to what's in front of us...it's our job to edit as we go.

I'm so glad you said that, because for some reason my reflection has come out more youthful than it appears in real life :D

and the orchid blossoms are from my imagination alone. Would you believe that with close to 60 orchid plants I don't have a single blooming one in bloom at the moment. So I've combined the best parts of them all and made my own creation :D

TeAnne
06-14-2002, 07:23 PM
Another 1 hours work when I should have been in bed. I might crop the bottom off this. YES.......NO..........?

orchidlover6
06-14-2002, 08:33 PM
I might crop the bottom off this. YES.......NO..........?

how much?
right below the apples?
or below the doily thingie?

orchidlover6
06-14-2002, 08:50 PM
first couple of layers of the lime and table runner in. a bit more work on the apple. about 19+ hours now and I've just discovered I have made a major mistake!!!! My composition appears to be sliding off the table now that I have my plaid in the runner.

oops!!! can this be fixed? Do I crop some of the runner below the lime? will that correct it? ohhhhhh

:eek:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2002/wip_3_stilllife.jpg

orchidlover6
06-15-2002, 01:29 AM
about 23 hours and still going and going and going.... to bed that is :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2002/wip_4_stilllife.jpg

arlene
06-15-2002, 02:08 AM
i don't mind the angle...find it interesting...but where's your light source coming from?

teanne leave it, don't crop

Vernon
06-15-2002, 02:56 AM
orchidlover6, I would say your time has been well spent! It is beautiful.

TeAnne, you are doing great! Leave it all and finish it. I gets more impressive with each new post!

orchidlover6
06-15-2002, 11:05 AM
but where's your light source coming from?

from the left but there is also a large mirror on the wall behind me that is throwing light from the overhead light and the kitchen area..... :confused:

arlene
06-15-2002, 11:21 AM
emphasize the shadows more orchid.

Charles Perera
06-15-2002, 12:45 PM
Here I am posting my modest contribution to Arlene's assignment.

I have a long way to go and really don't know how long it will take to be completed. It is ofcourse in CP on ArchesHP. The light source is not directly over it but, above at about 80. I had a light falling on it from front, but I am trying to mask it. The big pot is brass.(it needs a polish !) I have the two fruits(more). The cloth has a very light grey design and is white. The object of my choice is the earthen pot- a simple pot ...! I did not want to make it too elaborate.

I post it to indicate my presence for the project.

Tanne, Orchidlover your contributions are simply marvellous.

Charles

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2002/project2.jpg

Charles Perera
06-15-2002, 12:55 PM
Sundiver and Vernon,

Your contributions are very beautiful.

Charles

arlene
06-15-2002, 02:19 PM
what a good start charles.

orchidlover6
06-15-2002, 06:35 PM
i've lost track of time.... literally. my husband has to come and shock me everynow and then :D

working on the shadows. But I've noticed they change drastically from morning to evening.

AND I have to move my still life!!! I have it set up in the dining room which we hardly every use and I forgot tomorrow is Father's Day here in the USA and my kids are coming home for dinner..... I think I can get it back the way it was but the wrinkles in the runner might be a problem since I am just starting to emphesis the wrinkles in it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2002/wip_5_stillife.jpg

arlene
06-16-2002, 01:44 PM
orchid aren't you proud of what you've done? you should be.

TeAnne
06-16-2002, 05:59 PM

I agree.
Orchid, your dedication on this work has paid off. It is gorgeous.

Charles, you have made a great start :D

Okay Arlene, I wont crop it. It's just that I lost the plot with the doily but I think I can save it.

Thanks all for your comments :D

Ran out of time, but here is what I did on Sat.night. (I don't work on it in daylight hours because of the light, it throws it out too much)

orchidlover6
06-16-2002, 11:26 PM

does this mean I'm done? I was going to add some more layers to the background... but it won't kill me if I don't....

and yes arlene. I am pleasantly pleased that I did something that wasn't instant gratification. My friends and family are utterly amazed. Thanks for your encouragement and being such a good sport about me kidding you. I really do appreciate it.

TeAnne that kitty is going to look stunning when it's done. Can't wait to see more.

oh, and the paper I used ended up having all kinds of pits in it that I didn't see before hand. It was a bristol vellum. Should have used something else maybe.

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:37 AM
bristol is horrible if you want to do lots of layers. stick to stonehenge or a hot press watercolor paper at least 140 lb weight.

no you're not done orchid...look at the fruits and how they still need dimension and the pot and orchids

also last step should be to add in highlights to really make it pop...and a few really dark darks.

arlene
06-17-2002, 01:38 AM
bristol is horrible if you want to do lots of layers. stick to stonehenge or a hot press watercolor paper at least 140 lb weight.

no you're not done orchid...look at the fruits and how they still need dimension and the pot and orchids

also last step should be to add in highlights to really make it pop...and a few really dark darks.

teanne it's coming along great...how about a few more steps on your reds to really give the cloth dimension...right now it's looking like the shadows are outlines on the cloth...not true shadows...same on the orange...orange's aren't smooth...take a look at the one i did for some help.

orchidlover6
06-17-2002, 02:21 PM

I'm groaning here. Yes you are right it needs some more work. However in my defense :D the scanner is not picking up all the colors. For example I can't get it to pick up the dark reds on the apple so they are coming out oranger than in rl. But I will presist. What else do I have to do anyway... to bad I can't bring my cp's to work with me, but that might be pushing it a bit too far.

arlene
06-17-2002, 03:14 PM
highlights!

orchidlover6
06-17-2002, 03:17 PM
highlights!

any hints on how to achieve them? color wise that is,,,, and placement.

Oh shucks Arlene, why don't you fly down here and help me out in person? :D

sundiver
06-17-2002, 05:51 PM
I think I may have ruined mine :( .
I was so pleased with the fruit and bowl, you'd think I could do a stupid piece of cloth.
I'll try some more before I scan it and beg for advice.

TeAnne
06-17-2002, 07:38 PM
Thanks Arlene
I'm on the last leg of this long journey.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2002/stillprac9.jpg

sundiver
06-17-2002, 10:49 PM
Have I ruined it? Should I cut out the bowl and glue it on another background? Is there anything I can do to make it better?
It's a piece of handwoven cloth I got in Nigeria in the 70's. I wanted to show its roughness and unevenness but it just looks like a bad drawing(which it is).
This scan is even worse than the first one. Love that black paper but it's so hard to scan.
I'm already planning another one using most of the same requirements. Frustrating as it is, I want to keep trying (read stubborn here!).

sundiver
06-17-2002, 10:51 PM
oops, forgot to upload!

TeAnne
06-17-2002, 10:56 PM
I think it's gorgeous. Love that apple too.
Does this help?

sundiver
06-17-2002, 11:08 PM
Thanks, Te!
"The truth is out there", somewhere between your version and mine.
BTW yours is coming along very nicely.

TeAnne
06-17-2002, 11:29 PM
I just used the tonal adjustment in my scanner program. I just find you need to punch 'em up a tiny bit when you scan blk paper. :D
P.S. Thank you. I'll be glad when it's finished so I can move onto other stuff.

gnu
06-18-2002, 12:00 AM
'K .....started....A4 size...
I am fixing the left side of cup... this is still life of pewter goblet, pottery cat artificial carnation. ...terry towel.(which is going to end up green..ha ha... :D
Have heaps of questions...
first does all the painting have to have solid colour? or can coverage be varied?
2nd..when I get to the cup, do I do the dark colours first or the light..
3rd, how do you stop the rest of the painting being smeared with the other colours? (keeping things clean..)
THanks for imput..
Gill

TeAnne
06-18-2002, 12:07 AM
I'm going light to dark then trying to highlight where I have forgotten the highlights. The boss will be along to help ya. :D HUGZZZZZZZZZZZZ

orchidlover6
06-18-2002, 12:20 AM
sundiver - to quote a famous colored pencilist we all love.... what???? is the problem????

your apples look good enough to eat. So do the grapes. In fact I think I remember you saying you did just that. I like it.

gnu - great start. Is that I kitty cat I see lurking in your compostion? great!

teanne - you cloth is so smooth looking. And your tomatos look fresh enough to slice. Good work so far.

TeAnne
06-18-2002, 12:24 AM

teanne - you cloth is so smooth looking. And your tomatos look fresh enough to slice. Good work so far.
I knew they looked like tomatoes when I scanned them *ugh* lololol Oh boy Back to the drawing board. lolol

orchidlover6
06-18-2002, 12:35 AM

I knew they looked like tomatoes when I scanned them *ugh* lololol Oh boy Back to the drawing board. lolol

OOPS!!! i meant apples. Wonderfully delicious ared apples.
:D ;)

You did know that some believe tomatos are a fruit?

gnu
06-18-2002, 01:40 AM

OOPS!!! i meant apples. Wonderfully delicious ared apples.
:D ;)

You did know that some believe tomatos are a fruit?
Scientifically they are!
thanks you guys for the comments, TeAnne, your still life is WOW!!!!! awesome work!!
Orchid...your card will be arriving any day, your CP is fantastic also...
Funny, ididn't realise CPs were wzxy, I've never coloured solidly with them before...what a surprise..

arlene
06-18-2002, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by gnu
'K .....started....A4 size...
I am fixing the left side of cup... this is still life of pewter goblet, pottery cat artificial carnation. ...terry towel.(which is going to end up green..ha ha... :D
Have heaps of questions...
first does all the painting have to have solid colour? or can coverage be varied?
2nd..when I get to the cup, do I do the dark colours first or the light..
3rd, how do you stop the rest of the painting being smeared with the other colours? (keeping things clean..)
THanks for imput..
Gill

first of all gnu don't finish any area before getting all your darks and lights blocked in...there are lots of good lessons in the links at the top of the forum...

i'd ask that before you do another thing, you please read through them then come back and ask any questions you still might have. k?

so many of your questions will be answered there....also go to
http://www.cpchallenge.com and read through the lessons they have there too! again some great info and advice.

then i'll gladly answer your questions, and i have a sneaking suspicion your questions will change ;)

arlene
06-18-2002, 02:24 AM
teanne throw some greens into the shadow areas of the red cloth and shade it out a bit more...remember think compliments!

arlene
06-18-2002, 02:25 AM
sundiver you heard what orchidlover said...so what's the problem?

sign the darn thing and frame it and quitcherbeechin!

gnu
06-18-2002, 03:33 AM

first of all gnu don't finish any area before getting all your darks and lights blocked in...there are lots of good lessons in the links at the top of the forum...

i'd ask that before you do another thing, you please read through them then come back and ask any questions you still might have. k?

so many of your questions will be answered there....also go to
http://www.cpchallenge.com and read through the lessons they have there too! again some great info and advice.

then i'll gladly answer your questions, and i have a sneaking suspicion your questions will change ;)
Thanks Arlene, I'll have fun doing that, sure need some basics, now I've started, LOL, I'll be back!!!

Charles Perera
06-18-2002, 05:09 AM
Sundiver,

It is beautiful. I wonder how you got those grapes to be so real. I have problems with mine.

Charles

Lenore
06-18-2002, 06:34 AM
Arlene I have been watching this forum for weeks now but can't seem to stay caught up with everyone. I haven't been able to post a single thing. I do have one that ended up looking like a cartoon that I am going to post to get help on which brings me to what I was going to say in the first place. I do understand about your time constraints and just wanted to say I love the projects you have posted and really appreciate your comments and critiques on posted pieces. That helps as much if not more than seeing one of your finished projects -- HOWEVER, :D some more progress shots of pieces you are working on would really be great. Maybe while having your coffee, you could snap a shot! Thanks for all you do. Now I have to get busy so I can post my first one.

JustjoGA
06-18-2002, 07:48 AM
TeAnne, as a noncat person, I am captivated by the blue cat!! I think I asked way back, but is there a story behind it? ... she looks so much at home in the middle of your setup...

TeAnne
06-18-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JustjoGA
TeAnne, as a noncat person, I am captivated by the blue cat!! I think I asked way back, but is there a story behind it? ... she looks so much at home in the middle of your setup...

And I did reply :D

Gotcha Arlene :D Having a rest from it right now. Thanks :)

arlene
06-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Lenore
-- HOWEVER, :D some more progress shots of pieces you are working on would really be great. Maybe while having your coffee, you could snap a shot! Thanks for all you do. Now I have to get busy so I can post my first one.

Well Lenore I used to post all my progress pics. And explain how I did the work too.

that was until one day someone asked if they could post the iris they did from my postings. They had copied it exactly and wanted to post it. She was a newbie and not familiar with copyrights...once she and i chatted about it, she understood and went on to do her own drawing.

That would have been the end of the discussion and I would have continued to post progress pics, but when I mentioned it in chat that night, several people felt that if I posted my steps then it was blatant permission to copy if they wanted.

So I don't post the steps anymore and won't. Sorry that a few had to ruin it for the rest of you. YOu'll also notice my copyright notice at the bottom of everything I post here. That was added at the same time as this incident.

I am trying to put together a schedule to teach workshops where I will actually show my techniques. And there are the past lessons still up in the links.

TeAnne
06-18-2002, 06:42 PM
I'm getting so tired of this thing. The trash can is looking very inviting.

arlene
06-18-2002, 07:06 PM
I'm getting so tired of this thing. The trash can is looking very inviting.

and that would be a big mistake

TeAnne
06-18-2002, 07:16 PM

and that would be a big mistake
Now I know why you hate Bristol:evil:

orchidlover6
06-18-2002, 08:42 PM
teAnne! this is looking good.
I'm taking a break on mine until I can figure out how to properly do my highlights. I'll work on it a few minutes each night but not for HOURS ON END until it's done.

your apple is beginning to emerge quite nicely.
don't trash it.
and I wish I remembered how much I didn't like bristol when I did a itty bitty butterfly for your online cp card exchange.
Must have had a brain bubble or something.
keep at it girl!!!!

TeAnne
06-18-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks Orchid, what would I do without you and Arlene?

I'll maybe do some more tonight. Can't do it in the day as the light is all wrong. :(

sundiver
06-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Well, I'm a sucker for punishment I guess. I've started another one, this time on white paper. I have a more difficult time with white paper. Will post a progress pic as soon as there is some progress to post.
Arlene. I'm so glad you "made" me try glass and metal, because otherwise I might never have had the nerve to try on my own.

orchidlover6
06-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanks Orchid, what would I do without you and Arlene?

:(

have a life outside cps maybe :D

orchidlover6
06-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Well, I'm a sucker for punishment I guess.

don't forget the colorless marker/blender thing someone forgot to tell me about earlier :D

gnu
06-19-2002, 01:27 AM
Te, don't you DARE trash it girl!!! I'm learning how you do stuff....now you don't want to stop me learning do you!!!??:D
Now I like the little upside down reflection of you working, great stuff!!! I want to see this completed.......Thanks!!!:cat: :cat:

Charles Perera
06-19-2002, 05:09 AM
Teanne,

It is comming out well. It is already a beautiful piece. Not the 'Bin' any way !!!

Charles

Fleur
06-19-2002, 07:58 AM
Hello All you talented people!
I haen't picked up my pencils since the portrait I attempted of my daughter which I had such trouble posting. I think though that I will give this a go..... quite how far I will get is anybody's guess, and of course work gets in the way!!! groan groan!
Still, I look forward to this (?)
Take care all
Fleur

TeAnne
06-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Well, thats all I'm doing anyway. Chucked into a draw and not even signed. *ugh* Hate the paper too. Do you know how many times poor Daryl got his head bit off? :evil: lolol
Nup, no more on this. finished. Kaput!

orchidlover6
06-19-2002, 10:43 AM
this is phenomenal TeAnne! I love it. It's so... vibrant!!! Sign the sucker.

Do you know how many times poor Daryl got his head bit off?

I don't have a Daryl but my poor husband certainly has his share of bites!

I'm having a real hard time getting me dark reds on my apple to scan. What colors are you using to make your's look so deep?

orchidlover6
06-19-2002, 10:45 AM

any hints on how to achieve highlights? color wise that is,,,, and placement.

Oh shucks Arlene, why don't you fly down here and help me out in person? :D

so how come no one wants to tell me what to do for my highlights????

help me somebody.......... please!!!!!
I'm loosing my perspective................. :confused:

arlene
06-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Teanne sign and frame the sucker! It happens to be one of your best pieces to date...bad paper or not! Congrats...bet you can't wait for my next assignment! :evil:

Orchid, I can't tell you where to put the highlights cause I'm not looking at your reference. Basically the highlights go in the lightest areas...what you do is "overemphasize" them. That helps give the depth and dimension along with your shadows.

orchidlover6
06-19-2002, 12:31 PM
what you do is "overemphasize" them.

overemphasize??? gotcha! shouldn't be too big a problem for me :D

Elankat
06-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Well, thats all I'm doing anyway. Chucked into a draw and not even signed. *ugh* Hate the paper too. Do you know how many times poor Daryl got his head bit off? :evil: lolol

Te, you are a nut! This is gorgeous. If you don't want it, then sign it and put it in the mail to me when you send those pencils. :p :D

Btw, I have your reds and they should be on their way today or tomorrow. :)

psumom122
06-19-2002, 03:17 PM
well, I love it too!

gnu
06-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Me three!!! I'm sitting here sick at home and your pick gave me a real lift Te, I could gaze at it all day, so rich, so vibrant...!!!!
I love it!!! Awesome colour choices... You'll change your mind after a little while and like it again...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :cat:

TeAnne
06-19-2002, 05:24 PM
OMG! (I had all my replies written out and lost them all)

Thank you Arlene :) Bring on the next challenge :evil:
I lost interest in this when the doily stuffed up :( I lack the skill and eyesite to do it in detail. On a positive side, I'm happy with how the cat and garlic shaped up.

Thank you Orchid. :) For the apple I used Tuscan red, Scarlet lake, Crimson red, Poppy Red a touch of yellow and the darkest green.

Thank you LeAnne, see PM :D

Thanks psumom122

Actually I prefer the negative look :D

TeAnne
06-19-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by gnu
Me three!!! I'm sitting here sick at home and your pick gave me a real lift Te, I could gaze at it all day, so rich, so vibrant...!!!!
I love it!!! Awesome colour choices... You'll change your mind after a little while and like it again...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :cat:
Thanks Gnu :) You could be right. @ the moment I've just had enough of it. After a sleep, I can see there are areas that could do with a few touch ups. But thats another day, maybe.

orchidlover6
06-19-2002, 05:47 PM
For the apple I used Tuscan red, Scarlet lake, Crimson red, Poppy Red a touch of yellow and the darkest green.
uhhhmmm no wonder i can't get my apple dark enough. I only have two of your colors and the closest real art store is almost an hour away...

Actually I prefer the negative look
i like the negative look to te but your's is fab!

Elankat
06-19-2002, 06:04 PM
uhhhmmm no wonder i can't get my apple dark enough. I only have two of your colors and the closest real art store is almost an hour away...

Order from Dick Blick. They have open stock for 99 cents each. That's a pretty good price and you don't have to drive. :)

orchidlover6
06-19-2002, 06:30 PM
the bristol won't hold another layer is starting to streak and take the color off.
I have gone from estacy of discovery to nausea per projecta.
This will have to do.
The blinking scanner still won't pick up the purple background. But all the other colors seem pretty close to the real thing.
It's been fun...
I think anyway :D
now where's my beloved Charcoal sticks?

oops almost forgot the finished product.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2002/finished_stilllife.jpg

a little history about the silver plate. Twenty five years ago my husband and I gave this plate to his paternal grandparents for their 50th anniversary. It was given back to us last year after the last one died. 2 months shy of their 75th anniversary! It's old, tarnished and loved.

and elankat... thanks but I've been trying to stay away from dickblick. it's breaking my budget since I discovered this site.
so many forums to choose from
so many new toys to buy :D

TeAnne
06-19-2002, 06:36 PM
the bristol won't hold another layer is starting to streak and take the color off.
I have gone from estacy of discovery to nausea per projecta.
This will have to do.
The blinking scanner still won't pick up the purple background. But all the other colors seem pretty close to the real thing.
It's been fun...
I think anyway :D
now where's my beloved Charcoal sticks?

oops almost forgot the finished product.

and elankat... thanks but I've been trying to stay away from dickblick. it's breaking my budget since I discovered this site.
so many forums to choose from
so many new toys to buy :D
Your apple looks fine :clap: Looks very finished and I love it. Very awesome :clap: :clap: That plate blows me away :D Mine had way too many reflections in it.

sundiver
06-19-2002, 07:44 PM
Wooooow-eeeee, orchid! Awesome!
You must be very pleased. :)

sundiver
06-19-2002, 07:49 PM

As was said to me, quit your grumbling and frame it! It's really good.
Maybe grumbling is an important factor in the success of a cp drawing; we've all certainly done enough of it!
I'm grumbling my way through a new one....mostly complaining about the white paper.

Elankat
06-19-2002, 07:54 PM
Beautiful work, Orchidlover! :clap: :clap:

Oh, and I can understand about the budget...but HOW IN THE WORLD can you live without Tuscan Red!?!?! I think I'd have a seizure if I ran out of that, Henna, Jasmine, Black Grape, or Indigo Blue. :)

sundiver
06-19-2002, 08:10 PM
You know what I hate??
When I write a post, and upload and everything, and click "submit", and it tells me to log in again, and I do, and then it says"No thread specified" and "post not cached" and I have to do it all over again. That's what I hate!
You know what else I hate??
Plaid cloth. Drawing it. Much effort and rulers and plotting and even bad language, and it's still all crooked.
Deep, slow breath.
OK
Here's my progress on the new one...a long way to go still.

orchidlover6
06-19-2002, 08:54 PM
sundiver - this is going to be stunning. is that a nectarine I see? yummy.

as for plaid, you should have made a few wrinkles in it, then you don't have to use a ruler just free hand it, but then there's the darn wrinkles to shade. oh well...

elankat, i'll place an order tomorrow. everyone keeps mentioning black grape so i better get one of those too :D oh plus the colorless blender and marker, and some good stonehenge paper. c what happens when you visit a place you like? the order grows and grows and grows, cause there is also the oil pastels i want and the acrylic set..... :D

TeAnne
06-19-2002, 09:10 PM
You know what I hate??
When I write a post, and upload and everything, and click "submit", and it tells me to log in again, and I do, and then it says"No thread specified" and "post not cached" and I have to do it all over again. That's what I hate!
You know what else I hate??
Plaid cloth. Drawing it. Much effort and rulers and plotting and even bad language, and it's still all crooked.
Deep, slow breath.
OK
Here's my progress on the new one...a long way to go still.

Thank you Sundiver :D
Hey, this is coming along beautifully :D Love them apples and are you doing this outside?
I wanna do one on black paper. :D I shoulda done it that way the first time. lolol

Lulu
06-19-2002, 09:56 PM
TeAnne, all I can say about your piece is ...............Wow! Now don't you dare leave it in the drawer! Love the composition and the colour - Very vibrant.

Orchid, I really like yours too - the reflection in the plate and the story of the plate does it for me. Well done.

Haven't time at the moment to look at anyone else's but I'll be back!:)

TeAnne
06-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Thanks Lulu :D Thanks for the PM too :D

Vernon
06-20-2002, 06:48 AM
TeAnne!

What a beartiful picture!:) Love that blue cat, and that clothe looks like velvet. How do you do that? And the reflection. This one definitely should be framed! LOL :D

Vernon
06-20-2002, 06:53 AM
Orchidlover6

A beautiful piece. I like the way the flower frames the reflection in the plate. Very well done.

Vernon
06-20-2002, 06:57 AM
Sundiver.

I like your tablecloth! And your apples look good enought to eat. I like it all!:clap: :clap:

Charles Perera
06-20-2002, 12:10 PM
This is my submission for Arlene's Assignment:

I think I have finished. What do you think ?

Charles

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2002/projectfinal2.jpg

orchidlover6
06-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Charles I love your brass urn. it looks pretty good.

Charles Perera
06-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Gnu,

Your project looks very promising.

Charles

Charles Perera
06-20-2002, 12:43 PM
TeAnne,

Well done ! It is really beautiful. Your setup is exceptional.

Charles

Charles Perera
06-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Orchidlover.

Your orchids are pretty against the silver plate, which is ofcourse the ' piece de resistance'.

Charles

sundiver
06-20-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Charles Perera

Charles

I like how the plain ceramic piece contrasts with the elaborate brass urn.

TeAnne
06-20-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Vernon
TeAnne!

What a beartiful picture!:) Love that blue cat, and that clothe looks like velvet. How do you do that? And the reflection. This one definitely should be framed! LOL :D

Thanks Vernon :D
Maybe the scan has made it look velvety, in real life the whole pic is shiny.

TeAnne
06-20-2002, 06:34 PM

Charles

This is awesome Charles. You've done a great job on this one. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the comment on mine :D

sundiver
06-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Well, I'm obsessed. Again.
Here's a progress update. I think it takes longer on white paper.
Teanne, it's indoors; my cottage kitchen is green (bottom half).
Orchidlover6, it's not a nectarine, it's an apple, unless I can't get it to LOOK like an apple, in which case it will be a nectarine!

Vernon
06-21-2002, 12:01 AM
sundiver

Both pictures look great! It appears that all you have to finish on the second is the chair back and inside lip of the pitcher.:D

Charles Perera
06-21-2002, 02:28 AM
Your painting is taking shape. The apples are real. I could not get the roundness of the apple on mine. The fruit in the very front looks a peach, at least the color....! may be it is my PC screen !I like the reflections of the apples on the pitcher and the table cloth. You must have taken lots of time over it ?

Charles

orchidlover6
06-21-2002, 10:24 AM
sundiver - your pitcher is right on. it looks like metal. good job!

arlene
06-21-2002, 10:32 AM
sun so far it's looking excellent. the only comment i'd have is to tone the chair down so it almost completely blends into the background...it's really almost not necessary.

the composition on the table is so strong, i'd rather just look there!

arlene
06-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Charles this looks great. Only thing is the perspective on the jug is off.

arlene
06-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Sundiver, I did one to show u the chair eliminated. I find it an even stronger comp without the chair, as your eye is now focused only on the very strong composition. I particularly love the perspective.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2002/jug_prog_2.jpg

kiwicockatoo
06-21-2002, 11:23 AM
I guess I'm compositionally challenged. I liked the chair, but I don't know why! Perhaps it gave me a very strong sense that the picture was about a "kitchen". I like your version, but now the green wall is just space, where before to me it felt like a room. I guess what I'm trying to say is the first version told me a story, now it's just an arrangement of things. I do agree however that the composition is better without the chair, but I like the picture better with it - does this make any sense???

orchidlover6
06-21-2002, 12:33 PM

:D

ARLENE I DON'T KNOW IF YOU NOTICED....
BUT I'M FINISHED!!!!!!!

orchidlover6
06-21-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kiwicockatoo
I do agree however that the composition is better without the chair, but I like the picture better with it - does this make any sense???

i'm with you kiwicockatoo... i like the chair.

sundiver
06-21-2002, 04:12 PM
Thank you for your comments. The chair is the required Meaningful Thing. I grew up with those chairs, they were painted many different colors over the years, and I restored them when I inherited my parents' cottage. It won't be very prominent when the color is added. I probably should have moved it over to one side. But we'll see.
The jug is fun. I like the way it has an upside-down reflection as well as rightside-up. I made a lot of kool-aid in that jug when I was a kid.

TeAnne
06-21-2002, 06:10 PM
Well, I'm obsessed. Again.
Here's a progress update. I think it takes longer on white paper.
Teanne, it's indoors; my cottage kitchen is green (bottom half).
Orchidlover6, it's not a nectarine, it's an apple, unless I can't get it to LOOK like an apple, in which case it will be a nectarine!
The Jug is totally awesome. It looks so real. (My plate was supposed to look like that.)
I like the chair in there too. It just needs to fade a bit to push it back more as in tonal comparison to the apples. Apple dark and chair very soft, perspective wise. Very nice work. :D

sundiver
06-24-2002, 08:13 PM
Is it finished?
Does the chair fade into the bkgrnd enough?
Does that apple look like an apple now or still like a peach?
What else does it need?
I'm starting to get sick of it.

Charles Perera
06-25-2002, 02:59 AM
I would not like to be the first to comment, but nevertheless, I must say that your apples are apples, the jug is a fine metal jug, patterned cloth is immaculate, chair has faded into to the background. All in all, it is a great colorpencil painting....

Charles

TeAnne
06-25-2002, 05:12 AM
Sign it and frame it. Everything is what it is. Yayyyyyyyyyyy:clap: :clap: I just love that jug. Which greys did you use? I'm so envious. WOWOWOWOWO

sundiver
06-25-2002, 07:15 AM
Thank you, Charles and TeAnne! :)
TeAnne, I didn't use a lot of grey, mostly the colos that reflected, plus French grey 70%, warm grey 30%, black grape, and goldenrod I think. Maybe greyed lavender. I should pay more attention.
This was my first time using bristol vellum. I wasn't crazy about it. Like Arlene says, it doesn't take enough layers.

TeAnne
06-25-2002, 07:49 AM
I love how your reflections came out. I hate mine and I think I used the same greys.
Well done girl. I love it.

Lenore
06-25-2002, 08:07 AM
sundiver this is really good. Each element of the painting works for me. Nothing competes, your eye goes where it should, I love the composition and the colors are great. Yep this is a good one!

orchidlover6
06-25-2002, 10:15 AM
sign my name to it and I'll put your name on mine :D

your pitcher is fantastic!!! I think it's done.

arlene
06-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Hey I hate to be the one dissenting voice but...I think a dark green glaze on the chair will do the trick. Otherwise it's wonderful. Great Job!

gnu
06-25-2002, 03:32 PM
that jug is just SO delicious I could eat it!!!(yes, I know I know, the apples are for eating!) ..but I LOVE that jug...'sigh' ...
wonderful composition, love it all....:clap: :clap:

sundiver
06-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Hey I hate to be the one dissenting voice but...I think a dark green glaze on the chair will do the trick. Otherwise it's wonderful. Great Job!

Did it, like it, thank you!

Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I had no idea I could do something like this until Arlene "made" me. I have learned SO much from those challenges she keeps throwing at us.
Keep 'em comin' Arlene, and ignore our whining! :D

Charles Perera
06-26-2002, 03:06 AM
Your painting is really fine.

We all owe a lot to Arlene.

Charles

Rod
07-04-2002, 08:11 PM
A bit late but I eventually got there :)

Derwent C/p's on Farbiano 5 smooth paper 6 by 8 inches,

All comments and critique welcome,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jul-2002/arlenestilllife6.jpg

Rod.

gnu
07-04-2002, 08:40 PM
Everything looks very real here Rod, interesting comp. I just love shiny CD disc, the colours are fascinating!
The brush seems to me to be focal, it's very real, my eyes keep coming back to it...was this your intention?
Gill

TeAnne
07-05-2002, 01:58 AM
Excellent Rod, I love the CD :D
It might be my glasses or this screen (at work) or me. I don't know but all the objects seem to be floating on the cloth :( especially the grapes.

gnu
07-05-2002, 05:28 AM
So far, had to stop owing to hand strain!!!
surprisingly pleased with cat, not with flower, got confusing.
had to do at night, no opportunity in daylight, hence more than one light source....
Not perfect or even close, but learning lots!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2002/cp_still_life_stage_2_adjusted.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jul-2002/cp_still_life_stage_2_adjusted_closeup_and_crop.jpg

orchidlover6
07-05-2002, 09:35 AM
Excellent Rod, I don't know but all the objects seem to be floating on the cloth :( especially the grapes.

i agree. this is an excellent comp, love the brush but the fruit doesn't seem anchored enough.

TeAnne
07-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Well, I love your goblet, it looks so real. You've done very well GNU. :clap: :clap:

gnu
07-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Thanks Te, not finished yet... How's work going???
Do you work only weekends?? Thinking of you..
Gill

TeAnne
07-05-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by gnu
Thanks Te, not finished yet... How's work going???
Do you work only weekends?? Thinking of you..
Gill

Yep, Fri-Sat & Sun. grrrrrrrrrrr It sux, and I hate it. :crying: :crying: Thanks for caring :)

gnu
07-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Oh I really know how you feel, My prev job I worked all week including Thurs evening, then most Saturdays too...
It's neat how we start caring about each other here isn't it ?
Hugz....:cat: :cat:

TeAnne
07-05-2002, 07:45 PM
I second that Gnu :) There are so many nice peeps here to care about too. :D Thanks gf. What do you do now?

gnu
07-05-2002, 09:24 PM
Research nurse. 8 hour days, weekends off, work out my own schedule!!! Cool , eh??

Charles Perera
07-06-2002, 04:24 AM
Rod,

It is a very nice presen tation. All that seems difficult to do ! You have done it beautifully.

You are an all rounder, arn't you Rod ?

Charles

Charles Perera
07-06-2002, 04:28 AM
Gnu,

Yours is very good too. If you are learning you seem to be learning fast.

Well done !

Charles

gnu
07-06-2002, 04:46 AM
Gnu,

Yours is very good too. If you are learning you seem to be learning fast.

Well done !

Charles
Thanks Charles, when I started this, I had never done coloured pencil before, (apart from colouring-in , I must say, fairly creatively!!, as a child etc...)
since starting this I have done 2 animal pieces, and nearly completed a third...then I picked up this again..I never knew CP could be used like this!! I love it, no easels or brushes needed! and relaxing..

Rod
07-06-2002, 06:32 AM
It's looking great Gill, love the goblet and your cat , neat job you have too :)

Rod.

Rod
07-06-2002, 06:40 AM
Thanks for all of your comments. Its good to have other artists look at your work. They often see things missed by myself.

I have added more shadows to anchor the fruit and paint box,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2002/arlenestilllife2.jpg

Thanks,
Rod.

Rod
07-06-2002, 06:43 AM
I too sit back in my armchair when I use Coloured pencils.
It is very soothing and relaxing , a steady pace that doesn't give any tension .

At the end you're left with a painting and a dish full of wooden pencil shavings , :)

Rod

orchidlover6
07-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Rod - nice adjustments. The fruit is now anchored (or probably ate by now :D )

TeAnne
07-06-2002, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Rod
Thanks for all of your comments. Its good to have other artists look at your work. They often see things missed by myself.

I have added more shadows to anchor the fruit and paint box,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2002/arlenestilllife2.jpg

Thanks,
Rod.

Ahhhhhhhhhh Rod, muchus betterus. Excellent work matey. :D

gnu
07-07-2002, 01:43 AM
How surprising! shadows make such a difference !!
Thanks for the comments Rod, When I went back to look at it, I was surprised how 'silver' the goblet looked, even with all the colours reflected in it...
Yeah.... cruisy job!!:D :D

ArtWench
07-07-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi all... Sorry I disappeared for awhile. I had a bad case of bronchitis and have been laying around on the couch coughing up a lung all week. Anyway, I did manage to work a little bit on my still life (not much... didn't have the energy). After a month, this is my progress:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2002/WIP_Still_Life2.JPG

My husband and daughter are getting sick of seeing the settup and I'm afraid the apple might go bad, so I'm going to actually try to finish this in the next few days. Sigh.

TeAnne
07-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Glad you're getting better :) Bronchitis sure can take the stuffin out of you.
Your still life is looking good. I love the candle and holder so far. :D

ArtWench
07-08-2002, 12:32 AM
Glad you're getting better :) Bronchitis sure can take the stuffin out of you.
Your still life is looking good. I love the candle and holder so far. :D

Thanks TeAnne! Yeah, I have become a real couch potato. Unfortunately, I have chronic asthmatic bronchitis which means that every so often I'm down for the count. Sigh.

But I am feeling well enough to draw for brief spurts of time!

arlene
07-08-2002, 09:00 PM
rod I've been swamped and then i was away at a show...but i must say the advice you received was the same i would have given...i had looked at this briefly while i was away but just to post a message with ao hell is 10 minutes...so i figured i'd wait till i was home...

great job!

gnu, yours is coming along nicely...keep up the good work.

cathexis this is coming along nicely but just check the ellipses on the pitcher. also remember you don't need to outline glass to get it to look like glass...draw exactly what you see.

and feel better soon...i know what a drain that can be.

marilyn h
07-08-2002, 09:40 PM
This has been an experience in moaning, groaning and griping. I think you all have done exceptionally wonderful. You noticed that I didn't join this challenge. I would have hogged the whole forum on my inabilities of achieving perfection. Someday I might quitely try this. You have all learned so very much. You all need to stand and be aplauded. Hurray!!!!! Look what you have learned. I have learned just browsing. Thank you!