PDA

View Full Version : Namaste_another attempt

kokopelli
09-28-2007, 05:11 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-28-2007/108721_Namaste_2nd_attempt_.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-28-2007/108721_Namaste.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Namaste_another attempt
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 9x12
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I wasn't happy with the purple background of my Namaste kid , gave it another try and came up with a completely different painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Which one do you like better and why? Critiques are very much welcome.

Corby
09-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi koko. It is rather difficult to make a choice because both pretty well even out in the totality of my likes and dislikes. I am not particularly fond of yellow and I like purples. Yet the yellow one seems to have strength in its subtlety. There is a softness yet firmness to the form. Very nice. The purple while more appealing in color is not as sophisticated in execution. There is not the surety of tone and there are hardnesses in comparison with the other. The jaw/neck/ear section for example....I like them both...sigh...and could afford neither.

Slurps
09-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Kokopelli, you know I'm a huge fan of your still life / nature paintings, so you might understand that I see more emotion and attraction in your pictures of berries. Maybe you've spoiled me with your other fascinating work, or maybe I just like berries more than humans! This is a well-crafted portrait, but really, is there much composition here? I don't think a facial expression is sufficient, there has to be a reason to care about the subject in a portrait, even if it's merely a product of being exposed to an exquisite depiction.

Okay, so this is a plea for more of your other work, I won't deny it. I'm shallow like that, I suppose. Still, I can appreciate the time and attention and thought you put into this; it seems that's typical of you, always giving of your best. Post more!

Thom Byrd
09-28-2007, 11:43 PM
:thumbsup: :clap: :wave: ... you were right ..and... successful

thomas w
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
I like the elegant simplicity of the first one, I see it as done in a more traditional style. I like the eye catching appeal of the second one, but the background seems to be lacking something. If its a sky then there should be objects behind him. Both are done extremely well, but I would have to choose number one.
Thomas W

tbezesky
09-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Well drawn and painted! I like the expressions! Interesting color.

Artmakr
09-29-2007, 11:21 PM
the first apinting you did seems more engadging. when i look at it, i get a sense of a panning to a close up of the face, the smile and the eyes are so engadging that i see nothing else.

in the new piece, it looks better as a picture, (your eyes can wonder around it and find interesthing things to look at)

but the first one to me is engaging.

if i were asked to title them.

the earlier piece you did would be called 'Namaste'

and the new piece would be called 'A Monk'

kokopelli
09-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! After reading them I realized that it was probably not just the background itself that I wasn't happy about, but something lacking on the background to make a good composition.

Well, I've never attended any art classes, so I have to learn through practice, some books and your precious comments:) It was fun painting both guys anyway:) Thanks again.