PDA

View Full Version : Lavender Triangle

BitsOfNature
09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Here's one of may latest scanography pics. For those of you not familiar with the technique it involves scanning flowers and leaves on an open flatbed scanner in a darkened room. Subsequent Photoshop editing is done to paint black all around the background and just remove any dust or pollen -- otherwise it is just as the flowers were arranged on the scanner. (Sounds easy, but because of the hi res of the initial pic and tiny petals this one took about 15-18 hours!)

Enjoy!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2007/102085-Lavender_Triangle_II_-_72bpi_24bc_WebPic.jpg

Charlie's Mum
09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
I do like these Dale - I'm sure the colours and the lighting are not easily achieved!
It's good for us to see different ways of making floral art too :thumbsup:

If you ever feel like doing a WIP or Demo thread for us ............... :angel:

fawnridge-art
09-28-2007, 04:57 PM
WOW Dale, this is great. I really love how you arranged the flowers. :thumbsup: I can believe it took you that long. :rolleyes: I work in ps all the time. I have done a lot of scanning, but not as much success with the open lid format. Darkened room is a problem with all my windows. Now the scanner sits back in the desk's shelf. Maybe a curtain hung just right......... hmmmmmmmmmm.
Thanks for the inspiration. Hope we can see more of your creations. :clap: :clap:

kmb_art
09-28-2007, 04:58 PM
This is lovely. It's a very interesting technique.

BitsOfNature
09-28-2007, 05:30 PM
Darkened room is a problem with all my windows. Now the scanner sits back in the desk's shelf. Maybe a curtain hung just right......... hmmmmmmmmmm.

Even though I have all the lights off and do the scans at night I still usually have a card table over the scanner that I drape with black fabric. This makes the background dark, but not black -- that's where the PS editing comes in, going around the edges with a 9-12 pixel brush (I usually scan at 1200 dpi, so this is going at about 1/100 of an inch editing level. That's where the time comes in on the editing!

Thanks for the comments!

debsn2paintn
09-28-2007, 06:05 PM
I am so glad you are continuing to post your scans here because I really enjoy seeing these amazing photos. The light is just absolutely perfect. Also the composition and colors look so beautiful. :)

gaykir
09-28-2007, 08:03 PM
Pretty amazing!

ranunkel
09-30-2007, 11:01 AM
This is very beautiful, I am sure it must take time to arrange the flowers just right.

If I should try this I will have to move my scanner into the basement to find a total dark room.

BitsOfNature
09-30-2007, 01:40 PM
This is very beautiful, I am sure it must take time to arrange the flowers just right.

If I should try this I will have to move my scanner into the basement to find a total dark room.

It does require a few "takes" to find an arrangement that works. Some days it does, some it doesn't, but I suspect that's true with most art.

What I also do to provide dark for the scanner is place it on the floor underneath a card table and cover that with black fabric draping down on all sides. Works pretty well.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Regards,

jeanvrb
09-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Dale,
That is an absolutely beautiful arrangement you have scanned. When I first joined WC, I had scanned a live yellow rose, just experimenting. I had a scanner with a lid that could be removed from the hinges and held by hand over a book or anything thick. I was surprised at how dark the background turned out even though there was light in the room. But your technique with the card table is a much better idea.

I remember visiting your website in the past. All of your works are beautiful, but this one may well be your masterpiece.

Jeanette

BitsOfNature
09-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Jeanette, I don't see a smiley for blushing so I'll have to go with a verbal blush instead! <blush=on>

Regards,
Dale

Sandy1
10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Stunning work, I really love your site.