GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 35 cm x 50 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I played with the perspective and viewers angle over the length of the painting, but restrained that effect to the fence kind of thing and horizon. The trees, monkeys etc are painted with normal style.<br>As you see in the middle the white pole of the fence is longer and has a short shadow, to the sides poles get shorter and shadows get longer. In fact they are all the same but the angle of the viewer with the ground changes. To the sides the viewer looks from a higher point, thus overlooks the pole, and sees more of the shadow. Also as he is higher he can see more horizon. <br>I didnt spread the effect to all of the painting as I feared it would ruin the painting. I tried painting a table and it seemed so distorted that I changed my mind. <br>Oh I wrote too long here :) no one will read.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
composition, technique, and perspective game

billmahler
09-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Mozart and Stephen Sondheim meet in the Central Park Zoo!
There's a ballet underway here and I can hear Steve and Wolfie tapping their feet!
Not something I'd ordinarily like, but the title does it for me.
Nicely done.

La_
09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi toraman,

this looks like it could be a playful piece, but to me it's a bit creepy ...
playful in that the bottom standing monkey could be juggling the other ones, tho it looks like the one he's holding is dead, and a few of the other monkeys look dead and falling ... i really like the monkey leaping from farthest left tree - tho is she reaching to catch a baby monkey? or throwing it? the flatish one in the second tree looks dead, two more tumbling out of the tree with him look unwell, ... the white one accentuates this creepy feeling, as does the tangle of roap.

so, if it's meant to be kind of creepy - bravo, it worked, if not i would suggest making them more leaping and landing than falling and upside down, and i might also suggest the trees could all be large enough to leave the top of the canvas.

could you please translate the title for me, i think it has something to do with music, which means playful to me, but, perhaps it's melancholy music.

la

Dana Design
09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Charming, charming, charming! This sings and dances and play very well!

Well done!

toraman
09-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all comments.

billmahler Thank you. Its interesting how a title can change the whole feeling of a painting.

La Thank you. The monkey is not juggling others and he is not holding a dead one (just seems so in this picture), they can be rather thought as levitated in the air dancing, or raining. And none was intended to be dead. The picture is very poor so most details cannot be seen here. The painting is meant to be creepy, weird and playful. The "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" is a song by Mozart, better listen it yourself to decide how it is.

Dana Design's Thank you very much :)

Hey, no one has commented on my little perspective game, please say something about that.

Corby
09-28-2007, 09:32 PM
uh...when it comes to perspective I am one dead monkey...I could not figure it out. But the painting I like. Not recognizing the music I just thought of rthe singing of Howler Monkeys and I was reminded in painting style here of the works of Henri Rousseau. I like it.