PDA

View Full Version : WIP Magnolia

PERUGINA
09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2007/112510-compressed.JPG

Here is a start on another Magnolia painting a few days ago... with the GOOD PAPER... and the GOOD PAINTS... you would know what I mean if you have read... "Rough Time In Class"

Arches Cold Pressed 300gsm and Art Spectrum Artist Quality paints... on a quarter sheet...

I've used Burnt Sienna... Raw Sienna...Sepia...Raw Umber and Indigo Blue... for the background.

Same for the leaves... adding Viridian ...obviously in lighter intensity...

I'm hoping for an overall sepia tone in look for this work... I have never painted an intense background as this before... so it was a bit of a challenge for me getting an even colouring with darks...

I don't like what's happened to the background at the top... my eyes seem to gravitate to that blemished part in the painting... You know when something niggles at you... well this is it... and there's no rescuing it! Yuk!
As everything is a learning experience... will persevere... Maybe I can rub that part back and stick another leaf there?

See you for the next installment.

jeanvrb
09-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi Perugina,

I'n not sure I see the blemish you mentioned. Maybe the lighter colored area near left top and center top? I can almost see a leaf shape there. Probably if you wipe it back a little like you said, it could easily become another leaf.

I did read your "rough time in class", and had to laugh. Some senior ladies do feel very possessive of things they don't possess. I'm a senior lady, but haven't quite reached that stage.

By Perugina As everything is a learning experience... will persevere... Maybe I can rub that part back and stick another leaf there
I sometimes worry that I should not start over so much, but then an artist friend, (with a degree in art and I'm mostly self-taught) told me to think of starting over as a learning experience. I felt better about it then. But it does run the price of paper up. I have started using just mostly colors that are transparent non-staining and they can be wiped back and lifted up pretty well. Burnt Sienna, Cobalt Blue, and Quinacrodone Red are colors that lift easily to make possible some corrections. Sometimes I just turn the paper to the other side if it is something I am not planning on selling. I do like Arches paper, 140 lb. and 300 lb.

Your sketch of the magnolia looks very authentic. I like that you have one fully opened and the other half open. Magnolia is my state flower and I have 2 of the trees in my yard, both a different species.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Jeanette

PERUGINA
09-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanking you for your reply Jeanette... I am mainly self taught as well...I still have to explore the transparent and non transparent colours... I'm a bit like "A bull at a gate" at the moment with watercolour... I just want to get stuck in... that probably accounts for all the frustration I'm encountering...Quinacrodone Red - never heard of this colour before... and haven't seen it on the racks of the watercolour tubes either...

I absolutely love Magnolias... my favorite...they have just finished flowering here in my part of the world...heavenly!

Does the paper behave differently on the other side?

debsn2paintn
09-28-2007, 06:12 PM
It's looking really good :)

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2007, 04:07 PM
The 'blemish' (if such it is!) just looks like variations in the w/colour to me!
Let w/colour work for you, it's one of its attractions! :D
Looking very nice so far.

PERUGINA
10-04-2007, 07:24 AM
http://www.jpeg-optimizer.com/uploaded_images_final/DSCF3375__1191496898_58.172.124.94.jpg

http://www.jpeg-optimizer.com/uploaded_images_final/DSCF3378__1191496922_58.172.124.94.jpg

Here is the watercolour completed... you all may have some suggestions for improvements... all welcome to advise...

As you can see... I tried to rub back the background where it was bugging me... and I've put in a leaf there... it isn't exactly the way I planned it! However... I am happy with the results... could always improve on it.

Thanking you all for your words of encouragement.
Look forward to replies... :wave:

ticktock01
10-05-2007, 06:20 AM
This came out very nice. I like the colors.

PERUGINA
10-05-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't know what has happened to my pictures here... perhaps I will try later to rectify this... beats me! :confused:

Lady Carol
10-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Uploader is working again. There was an issue with an old server that was really out of date and couldn't cope with the activity anymore. This has been replaced today, so my suggestion is....Try to load it again :D

PERUGINA
10-06-2007, 01:40 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/112510-comp2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/112510-comp5.JPG

Here are the pictures again...I'm sure glad the glich wasn't at my end...
Anyway...these are finished... any suggestions are welcome if there is anyone out there that can see where my work could benefit from some more tweeking!

Looking forward to replies... :wave:

fawnridge-art
10-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Perugina- I really like the comp on this one. Reminds me something from the 1940's in the colors you used. Very nice. :clap:

faunaphile13
10-06-2007, 02:00 AM
This takes me back to when I was little and was allowed to look at my great grandmother's broaches and things...reminds me of a very delicate bone china ornament of flowers. This painting is beautiful.

ranunkel
10-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I like the soft background against the more sharp flowers. It's make them stand out from the background very nicely:clap:

Lady Carol
10-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Beautiful magnolias. I like the background but I am wondering if the whole painting wouldn't benefit from a complimentary colour in some places in the background. The entire painting is warm and IMHO I feel that cooling at least part of the background would help to show case the magnolia blossom better.

debsn2paintn
10-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Oh I really like all the brown tones :) Very pretty.

PERUGINA
10-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi there all...

fawnridge-art...now that you mention the 1940's...yes it does... I didn't think of that...but it does have a nostalgic look about it ...thanks!

Kim & ranunkel... thanks for you comments...

Hi there Carol...what is IMHO?

debsn2paintin... one of my favorite colours "brown" not many people really paint in these tones... in the class I attend anyway!
Goes with any neutral decor! :lol: