PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia

PERUGINA
09-27-2007, 10:07 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2007/112510-compressed.JPG

Here is a start on another Magnolia painting a few days ago... with the GOOD PAPER... and the GOOD PAINTS... you would know what I mean if you have read... "Rough Time In Class"

Arches Cold Pressed 300gsm and Art Spectrum Artist Quality paints... on a quarter sheet...

I've used Burnt Sienna... Raw Sienna...Sepia...Raw Umber and Indigo Blue... for the background.

Same for the leaves... adding Viridian ...obviously in lighter intensity...

I'm hoping for an overall sepia tone in look for this work... I have never painted an intense background as this before... so it was a bit of a challenge for me getting an even colouring with darks...

I don't like what's happened to the background at the top... my eyes seem to gravitate to that blemished part in the painting... You know when something niggles at you... well this is it... and there's no rescuing it! Yuk!
As everything is a learning experience... will persevere... Maybe I can rub that part back and stick another leaf there?

See you for the next installment.

wtrclrgrl
09-28-2007, 01:11 AM
What a neat idea!!! Cant wait to see it....

faunaphile13
09-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Perugina, I really love this! There is a beautiful depth to your background; the area I think you want to "niggle" at seems to add a nice bit of interest
to compliment that soft velvety depth. But I know what you mean when you get that urge to re-work something. Love your choice of colors too, very nice!

painterbear
09-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Hi Perugina,

Your drawing and composition look very good. The background doesn't look bad at all, I like how you gradated the tone from light to dark beneath the flowers.

Did you wet the background first with clear water before putting on the colored washes? When you are painting a large expanse like this it is nice to use a flat brush and have your paper damp. Then the paint seems to go on more smoothly.

This will be interesting to see as you finish it with the sepia tones.

Sylvia

nes7827
09-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi PG :wave: It looks as though a shadow was cast when you took the pic (?), which makes it hard to see. Looks good to me so far...can't see the "blemish"...my advice would be to vary the edges to meld the flower and leaves in to the background in places, maybe something you were going to do anyway. Didn't know you were posting here, will check back...I'll bet something has happened with it in the past two days, right? ;)

PERUGINA
09-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for your encouraging replies...wtrclgrl, as far as a good idea,well let's see when I'm done...

faunaphile13, I love the colour too...and as I have never attempted such a dark background in watercolour it was pretty scary when the colour went on and that answers your question painterbear... NO...i didn't wet the paper first,something that I don't do very often...I find the colour just spreads like "wildfire" on the page and I don't like being "out of control" :lol: I am a "control freak" in that regard... :lol: perhaps that's why some of my art work is cartoon like? :confused: Ummmm...maybe should re evaluate my strategy!

Ah...Nick (not Gene) :p ... thanks for your reply... yes, what a perceptive little critter you are :lol: my ogre like frame cast a dreadful shadow over my art work as I snapped it whilst on the floor, darn! Trust you to notice! :lol: I will try to take in your advice by melding the edges of the flowers into the background... great in theory...as for putting it into practice...a whole different "kettle of fish"... and as for posting here... I'm a little everywhere... here lurking in the halls of WC... like I say... "I do a little of everything...and a whole lot of nothing!"

As far as something happening the last couple of days... I will show you later ;) !

olliewood0702
10-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Watching where you take this from here. Waiting.....

PERUGINA
10-04-2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.jpeg-optimizer.com/uploaded_images_final/DSCF3375__1191496898_58.172.124.94.jpg

http://www.jpeg-optimizer.com/uploaded_images_final/DSCF3378__1191496922_58.172.124.94.jpg

Here is the watercolour completed... you all may have some suggestions for improvements... all welcome to advise...

As you can see... I tried to rub back the background where it was bugging me... and I've put in a leaf there... it isn't exactly the way I planned it!
However... I am happy with the results... could always improve on it.

Thanking you all for your words of encouragement.
Look forward to replies... :wave:

PERUGINA
10-06-2007, 02:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/112510-comp2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2007/112510-comp4.JPG

Hi there all... here are the pictures again... there was some technical problems with the uploader...

Anyway... any comments would be appreciated... let me know if you think my magnolias would benefit from some tweeking!

Looking forward to replies... :wave:

popart
10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Your blossom colours are lovely and good job modeling the shapes of the petals. The original background did not bother me. I find the new leaf adds depth because it is darker than the others and looks therefore to be further away.

I find the foliage in general intriguing. The leaves put me in mind of old silver, and they make a nice foil for the blossoms.

Poppy

Netty
10-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Stunning Patricia, you really have captured an old worldy feel with the gorgeous sepia tones. I really love this very much!!!!

Such beautiful depth in the BG which pushes these magnolias forwards..
a good friend of mine has a massive magnolia tree at his house, Last season when it bloomed I managed to snap some great shots!!! and even picked some of these large beauties to adorn my bedroom :D .... If I could put them in the post I would send some down your way :)

Annie:)

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Hi Poppy... thanks for your reply...
I'm glad that you find the new leaf adds depth because it is darker than the others and looks therefore to be further away...
I was hoping for that to be the outcome... although it does look lonely back there... and perhaps I should darken another slightly to match it...

Any comments...

Annie... appreciate your reply... and good to talk to you finally...(you know what I mean)... hope that I inspired you this afternoon during the hail storm and that you are OK :lol:

Anyway... I'm sure the "blooms" looked gorgeous in your bedroom... they would go very well with all your "vintage things" I'm sure! :lol:
Catch you soon! :wave:

PS... What was that about it also matching your room! :lol:

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 06:40 AM
PS... Notice the colour co-ordinated reply! :lol:

painterbear
10-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Lovely work, Perugina. I like the revisions you made and your color-coordinated replies. :D

Sylvia

PERUGINA
10-09-2007, 07:52 AM
Thanks Sylvia... appreciate you taking another look now that it is finished.

It's kinda fun... mucking about with the options! :lol: