PDA

View Full Version : REDO of I'm Stuck...

lyn lynch
09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Using John's lighter version of the reference, I have this work in progress. I can see a few things, like more definition to the darker bits of hair, and removal of the harsh line on his cheek. I changed the b/g color, as suggested, and used masque on the hair which is a bit harsh--I don't know how to fix that either. One eye needs work, I can see that it is larger. It was suggested that I have him looking at the viewer so I've corrected that as well. Appreciate any advice or time you are willing to give me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/16729-PGBH_Comparison.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/16729-Pres_Hinckley_2_CROP.jpg

CWood
09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I know you said thats its WIP but I like it alot!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carl

painterbear
09-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Fookie,
What a wonderful portrait. You've made the changes and the painting looks so much more like him. WOW!

The only thing I would suggest is to perhaps darken his lips a wee tad. I love how he is looking at us as we look at him now.

You get my Merit point today for persistence!

Sylvia

Yorky
09-27-2007, 04:46 PM
This is wonderful Fookie, I would soften his neck a little.

Doug

Emme2
09-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Fookie, he looks great!!:clap: I think what may be bothering you is there isn't a strong value pattern in the photo or the painting. Maybe if you darkened to the left of his nose and under his chin a bit it would help to make the painting more dimensional. . . .

I attached it in greyscale. Maybe this will help you to see what I'm seeing.

Either way, excellent work! A true Fookie Folk!:clap:

Emme

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/109612-16729-PGBH_Comparison_grey.jpg

lyn lynch
09-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I got this wonderful note from our dear friend Ellen in Ontario:

"Hi again fookie,
I just saw your latest portrait and I love the skin tones you have! I think what is causing you to get a little stuck is the multiple light sources (at least that is what it looks like there is). The brightest one seems to be from our left, but there also seems to be one straight on. Maybe shading the shadowed side might be what it needs but I would hesitate to go over what you have already. I tried fiddling with it in photoshop to see what I could come up with. I hope you don't mind. All I did was darken it overall to increase the contrast. I also darkened the background to make his hair stand out. A couple of little things in the eyes... I added a darker inner corner and fold line above them. I also added a lighter line for the lower lid below."
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/16729-46258-16729-Pres_Hinckley_1.jpg

Ellen is correct, the 2 light sources are nuts for me. I'm going to try to follow her suggestions and see if I can make this painting work.

Thank you, Carl, you're great.

PB, thank you, this one is very important to me; if he works out I want to display it at the church fall festivo November 9.

Doug, That went right by me, but you are right the neck folds are too intense. He is 97 years old and I need to keep the fragility look.

Emme, thank you for the gray scale, so much to do and I can use all the help I can get.

seedy
09-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Fookie,
An impressive change from the 1st......Don't sweat the small stuff....
What I noticed about the photo was that one eyebrow is above the frame and the other behind it.....now you've put them the same.....;-)
Well done....

Carrie
09-30-2007, 12:57 AM
I think you have pulled the shapes around now to give a much better resmblance. keep working on the contrast as ellen suggested but keep the skin natural with cer. b. and yellow. I love what you have gotten on paper so far. You do the best blue eyes.
Carrie

lyn lynch
09-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Brian. I finally fixed the eyebrow--never thought that I would be trying to follow the reference but here I am doing it!

Carrie, thank you.

I've done as much as I can working alone. I've followed as Ellen said and here's the result. I see he still needs more shading on our right....sigh... but, frankly, at this juncture I think this is the best that I can do. I don't like the look of the mask for the hair, either. With your help it is considerably better, but not good enough to show. I need much exposure, and practice. . Thank you, everyone for your help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2007/16729-GPH_Final.jpg

seedy
09-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Fooks
It's just fine....you've been looking at it too long.....take a break.....and on to the next one.....I'm sure you've learned a ton with this ....
Well done......

LyndaN
09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Fookie, what a wonderful painting of President Hinckley - you should be proud!

painterbear
09-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Fooks
It's just fine....you've been looking at it too long.....take a break.....and on to the next one.....I'm sure you've learned a ton with this ....
Well done......

Yes, Fookie, Brian is right. Take a little break from it and come back in a week or so to see it with fresh eyes.

It looks very, very good. I think the gentleman would be proud to see this lovely portrait of himself.

Sylvia

Violetta
10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Fookie - I'm in awe of your portrait painting abilities. I agree that maybe you have looked at this too long. Let it rest and come back to it. I'll bet it will look better to you.

About the masking in the hair. If you're referring to those single strands right in front, maybe you could soften them a bit with some light scrubbing to just soften the edges and make them stand out a little less. They are more sharp edged than the rest of his hair. But this is such a little niggle when compared to the great job you have done on the rest of the painting.:thumbsup: