PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar xp

Holley
09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
(xposted in Animal forum)
Here's another one from the reference library.
I loved the crop and it's been a while since I've painted a big kitty.
He was fun, 8x10 inch with pastel pencils on canson.
Might try and take another photo of him tomorrow when I have better light.
Hope to share something new again soon :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/28375-Jaguar_SP2.jpg

HarvestMoon
09-27-2007, 09:11 AM
OH MY- you gotta be kidding.... this looks like I need to FEED HIM or something- he looks so real- ABSOLUTELY STUNNING....

CJMonty
09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
WOW Holley, this is sooo amazing.

Could you do a detailed WIP someday of a simple kitty for those of us who are amatuers. :o Your work is so totally amazing, sometimes I have to look twice just to make sure it isn't a ref pic.

Keep posting, I find your work so inspirational. Pity I wasn't able to catch up with you back in June when we were passing through Mount Gambier.

Take Care and have a great day.
Love Carolynn xxx :) :heart:

paul444
09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Holley

A truly stunning piece of work.
He's magnificent, so life like.

Diana_pastels
09-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Beautiful! Love the intense eyes.
Diana

water girl
09-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I cannot believe this is a painting! Stunning. Yes, please do a WIP for us!

Paula Ford
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
:eek: I'm speechless! This is......WOWZER!!!

Paula

Tracer
09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
So real looking yet even beyond that...STUNNING...I love this. I would also love to see a WIP. Please Please Please.

Tracer

Holley
09-28-2007, 03:55 AM
Wow thanks everyone for your replies! I would love to do a WIP again one day, it has been a while since I've done one, stay tuned, hopefully soon! I haven't decided on my next piece yet, I am waiting for something to jump out and grab me, thats how I pick my pieces.

Carolynn - I wish we could have met when you came through, I don't really know many other artists as such. Perhaps next time?

Ceci
09-28-2007, 04:02 AM
beautiful work. PLEASE do think about a wip for us
ceci

artdreamz
09-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi All!

I've been a member for many years, but have never had a frequent opportunity to post due to working full-time.

I saw this beautiful Jaguar in the Animal/Wildlife forum and was amazed! Great work, Holly. You have pastels mastered!

Which leads me to my question....I have been grappling with soft pastels for a few years, getting a little better but not where I'd like to be, and I am always curious how an artist, like Holly, can get such detail with pastels. I have browsed this forum looking for tutorials or detailed information about techniques, but can't find anything that has turned on the light bulb (:wink2: ). Of course, that may be my oversight not looking for the right thread. Anyway, can anyone point me in the right direction of where in WC I can find some good, solid info about working with pastels. I have two main issues; 1) how do you get such detail, and 2) how do you prevent the pastels from smearing or blending too much in your work?

I have worked with pastel sticks and pastel pencils and still have the same two problems. I have read many books on pastels and still can't seem to grasp the technique. I'm an equine artist and would really love to use pastels because of their beautiful soft quality and richness it can bring to a piece. I also work in graphite, colored pencil, watercolor and charcoal and feel that I didn't have near the learning curve with those mediums as I have with pastels.

I know from all the threads and discussions anywhere in this group that everyone here is super supportive and generous with help, so can anyone lend me some advice? Feel free to email me directly if you prefer. you can leave me a private message here or my home email: [email protected]

Thank you in advance for any and all responses.

BTW-I have recently quit my full-time job to devote most of my time to developinig my art career, so in time I will have some work to post, although mainly in the Animal/Wildlife forum. Any pastel work I do going forward, I will be sure to post here for critiques and guidance. :wave:

artdreamz
09-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Oops....just realized I spelled Holley's name incorrectly. I'm so sorry, didn't see the "e".

:eek:

Diana_pastels
09-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Tammy, just saw your post on this thread and I understand your questions and desire to learn more. I am fairly new with soft pastels, started with them in March. I am often amazed at the work produced by the talented artists here on WC. What helped me learn right off the bat was a tutorial over in Drawing and Sketching by Dianna Ponting. I don't know how to do links or I would post it for you. I also have a book by Lesley Harrison who does amazing work in pastels of animals. Very detailed and life-like. I am still learning, but I think the paper makes a big difference and the types of pastels you are using.
Maybe if you repost your questions in the Pastel Talk section others will see it and give you more information.
Diana

artdreamz
09-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Thanks Diana. I have the same book by Lesley Harrison, "Painting Animals that touch the heart", and I am a huge fan of her work, too. Her horse paintings are incredible! :clap: She does illustrate her painting techniques well in that book, but even with that I'm still having trouble.

I will repost to the Pastels Talk forum and see what responses I get back. What kind of paper have you used? Have you tried velour? That seems to be an interesting surface, just not sure how well it grabs the pastel.

Diana_pastels
09-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Diana. I have the same book by Lesley Harrison, "Painting Animals that touch the heart", and I am a huge fan of her work, too. Her horse paintings are incredible! :clap: She does illustrate her painting techniques well in that book, but even with that I'm still having trouble.

I will repost to the Pastels Talk forum and see what responses I get back. What kind of paper have you used? Have you tried velour? That seems to be an interesting surface, just not sure how well it grabs the pastel.

Hi again Tammy. Here is a link to the on-line workshop by Dianna Ponting (hope it works) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405403. It helped me tremendously.
As far as papers, I have tried Canson (couldn't do a thing on it) and some of the sanded papers - Wallis, Colourfix, and Le Carte. I like all of them, but I prefer the Wallis. I seem to be able to get alot of detail on that. I just recently tried some velour. It definitely is different than any other paper! The pastel pretty much sticks to it, creating little to no dust. But I could not use my softer pastels on it (Sennelier), only my Rembrandts and NuPastel. I also could not erase or make too many changes; where you put the pastel is where it stays. I like the softness the velour produces and see why it is great for animals. But it seemed to me that the colors were not quite so vibrant as they are on sanded papers. I will use it again, but so far I prefer the sanded papers.
Hope that helps some,
Diana

Orchidacea
09-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow!!!

just_DaR
09-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Speechless.
I can say only "SPECTACULAR"!

Holley
09-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks Ceci, Tammy, Diana, Orchidacea and just_DaR for your comments :D

Tammy - To create the detail I use pastel pencils, in fact they are all I use. I do have some sticks but I prefer to use them for larger work. As I am only painting small pieces currently the pastel pencils are better for smaller coverage. I have basically taught myself how to do what I do and it's only been from trial and error. I do read some things but I generally don't have the time, any free time I do get I just want to paint so I have learnt the most by doing. What works for me is to rub in my first layers - just like blocking in the area and work the detail over the top. I generally don't rub in my top layers and I tend to work areas until they look like the reference. The best thing to do is to experiment and find what works for you! Best of luck and most importantly, have fun :wave:

Merethe T
09-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Holley, outstanding work again! (I feel like I keep repeting myself everytime I comment on your work, but it is just outstanding...)

I did give Canson another go, had to try when I see what you do with it, but it just don't work for me.....don't know how you do it! Impressive.

dbjs
09-30-2007, 03:47 PM
wow wow wow!!!! That is...that's just amazing!!

Holley
10-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Thanks so much Merethe and Dorte :)
Merethe - Seems to be that not many people like canson, but yes I love the stuff, thanx!