PDA

View Full Version : Under the Tree

solonite
09-27-2007, 06:30 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-27-2007/114729_Taylor_(2).JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Under the Tree
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I worked from a small photo and am not sure about the dogs detail. He is just a big furball in real life!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I once knew a person who said "if it's tough you are growing" Help me grow please.

La_
09-27-2007, 11:12 AM
wow
when i first looked i thought it was a bad photo
turns out it's a great painting
comp is unusual, lovely standard poodle

sorry, don't know how to improve this one

la

kathrynlovespets
09-27-2007, 12:07 PM
it looks fabulous to me, i dont see anything that needs tweaking...great expression on her face---so happy

only thing id do maybe is make the pink squishy toy more of blue tones so it doesnt compete with her peachy face

Corby
09-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Beautifully done! It shows ability in matching color and texture, drawing skills and applying the paint. It also demonstrates the danger of slavishly copying the reference material, especially if it is a photo. Photo's lie to us and we accept it because they are photos. The first thing that the picture has need of is cropping. There is just so much stuff that is inessential to the story. If the tree is central to the story as the title indicates then it can be inserted in the darkened area top left, basically where it was anyway, but without the distracting white pillar.

The chair, top right background, should be softened, almost to losing identity. Especially edges and lines. It needs this so as to be pushed far into the background and not intrude on our foreground subject.

I had difficulty figuring the dog out...that hard straight white edge by the dogs ear/the toy...? In fact the whole toy is a distraction. It would in my opinion be better removed so we can see what the woman is actually doing. She is holding this exuberant dog down and pulling him in close. You show this by adding her hand on the dogs leg and then taking her rather misshapen hand resting on the floor and changing it into her elbow and forearm. It makes a coherent image this way. Take the square line out of the dogs chest area where it meets the floor. Eliminate the central flash dots in the pupils of the eyes. Soften some lines and harden others. This is the mark of a true artist, controlling the pictorial environment so as to create the best pictorial quallities. Our painterly abilities, whether we are a naturalist or an abstract impressionist or whatever, can then shine through.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/70790-poodle.jpg

solonite
09-27-2007, 04:00 PM
Thank you La, Kate (I miss living in TN) and Corby. I appreciate the imput Corvus. You have hit on areas that I am deficient. Some of the details that take so much time can be left out with actually better results! I have one coming up that I am going to try some of the very things you suggested. Til then.....

Eggy
09-27-2007, 08:40 PM
I thought it was a photo,too.

solonite
09-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Eggy as a learning artist I try to see if I can paint as they are presented to me. Maybe too much so. I now wonder if I should change that.

Slurps
10-01-2007, 02:10 AM
Great observations, Corby. Excellent reminders. If the picture isn't substantially re-worked, I'd at least consider adding the following tweaks:
Try to fix the arthritic knuckles.
Maybe see if you can tone down the forward angle on the teeth and reduce the white glare.
Do something about the jeans, particularly the belt. They almost seem to be on someone else's body, and the right hip looks displaced. The belt looks a bit chalky and flat.

Otherwise, the portrait really lovingly depicts someone who should be flattered by this picture. The sense of her sweet nature is really evident. I wish the dog looked like it was sensing that as well....

Dhuot
10-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I find the dog difficult to read, and you've had good tips above :)
Beautiful painting and model.
I admire your ability to paint teeh

:D