PDA

View Full Version : Rose and Vase

billmahler
09-27-2007, 01:47 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-27-2007/111636_roseandvase4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rose and Vase
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11C14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This began as something a lot more complicated and was simplified down to what you see.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is it too centered?<br>Comments?<br>Suggestions?<br><br>

Slurps
09-27-2007, 01:52 AM
That might be one of the most elegant flowerpieces I've seen in a long, long time. No crits on this, just flat out admiration for a gorgeous and moving picture. Wonderful, beautiful, absolutely stunning. I could go on, but even I would get sick of hearing me.

Did I mention how nice this is?

Corby
09-27-2007, 03:24 AM
How could I possibly say more? :-)

TScottDove
09-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Anything BUT centered would have been a mistake with this.
Your treatment is just as delicate as the flower itself. Beautiful

solonite
09-27-2007, 06:40 AM
I love it
Sometimes something of beauty should take center stage!

tony1
09-27-2007, 08:11 AM
wow great job!

ejtupi
09-27-2007, 11:44 AM
This is the unique, special kind of painting that custody battles are fought over. It's the kind you wake up in the middle of the night just to go check and see if it's okay. It's the kind that makes you understand poetry.

It's just that beautiful.

oesdad
09-27-2007, 12:19 PM
I love this! It feels like a dream. Maybe a deeper shadow?

Thanks for sharing! -Brian

Spyderbabe
09-27-2007, 01:07 PM
This began as something a lot more complicated and was simplified down to what you see.

You just had to get rid of what wasnt suppose to be there.
Beautiful painting.

gousalya
09-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I love it. It is beautifully done, the painting looks enticing. The only problem I see with this is that when the stem of the rose goes into the vase, the difference in the way light penetrates the glass medium should show. I hope I am making sense....here it is showing a perfect straight line of the stem...shouldn't it be crooked?

JimmyM
09-27-2007, 08:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-27-2007/111636_roseandvase4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rose and Vase
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11C14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This began as something a lot more complicated and was simplified down to what you see.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is it too centered?<br>Comments?<br>Suggestions?<br><br>
Very nice. I was surprised to see it as an acrylic as it looks from the photo -- like an oil. I'm wondering if youi darkend the backgroud what it would look like.

Nice job.

Dhuot
09-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Bill, exquisite work :clap:
I am a big fan of those simple faded colour and simlified composition.
No crit from me except that I see the green a little too dark.
It also reminds me of the work by a singular , prolific and very interesting artist.
Peter Dreher
He has been painting the same glass nearly one hundred times a year for the past 30 years......
He's worth checking out :)
http://artnews.info/gallery.php?i=108&exi=4891

billmahler
09-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Slurps, Corby, Scott, Solonite, Tony, Ejtupi, Kathleen, Gousalya, Jimmy M, Brian, Daniel:

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I thought I had a painting I especially liked and your encouragement and support is reassuring.

I had two inspirations in mind for this painting.
- I saw several old Chinese floral paintings which were starkly simple and yet they told a complete story of the context of the flower in the world around it.
- The Last Flowers of Manet. Simple but eloquent floral paintings by the master at the end of his life - often with a single bloom in a glass vase.

Jimmy M.. In order to accentuate the rose I started it with a much darker background but couldn't get the serene effect I wanted, so I kept lightening till I had the feeling I wanted.
The photo is actually a couple of values darker than the original.

Brian. Yes, the shadows I actually saw were much deeper and I painted them to begin with but kept lightening them till I had the effect I wanted.

Gousalya.. you are entirely correct. There should be a prismatic effect on the stem and there is none. Again, I began with that but I found there was too much motion and complexity created by it, so I violated Sir Isaac's Newton's theory of the movement of light in the interest of simplicity.

Daniel
Yes the green could be lighter and a bit warmer. I'll try that. Merci bien. Thanks also for referring me to Peter Dreher. I like what I see.

Thom Byrd
09-28-2007, 12:02 AM
:thumbsup: :clap: :wave:

Bevahlee
09-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Excellent fine tuning of values and intensities. Anything different (more contrast, more texture) would ruin the delicacy of this.