PDA

View Full Version : BOY with HORSES.

pix
09-26-2007, 08:34 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-26-2007/98144_98144-finish.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: BOY with HORSES.
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Painted with a reference photograph taken by myself.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
i stopped painting here, and to me its finished. i want to know if it is really finished. what you think?

Slurps
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
The human is a distraction. If you want to leave him in, I'd rather see him focusing on the horse, not the viewer.
I don't know if the thing sticking up out of the horse's shoulder is natural, but I'm not crazy about how sharp it is.
Not sure what's going on in the foreground, but I'd clean up the drips. It looks a bit sloppy that way.
The horse on the right seems to be shoving his snout through the side of the water barrel.
Horse on left looks like his head was flattened from the sides.

Despite my minor nitpickings, I think this is very close to being an attention-getting picture. I'm not sure about the value range, but it sure has a warm feeling to it. Something about the colors really appeals to me, and the horse on the left is getting my attention. That's a good thing, in this case.

bushma'am
09-27-2007, 02:11 AM
I have to agree with Slurps that the picture would be better sans the boy.

The bodies and legs of the horses are in good proportion. The head of the horse on the right is far too narrow and too long; if the top of his head was at the top of the star it would be about the right size.. The head of the horse on the left (drinking) tapers in a little to quick and the nose could be a tiney bit longer. The pasterns of both horses and especially the one drinking do not have enough slope; and yes the wither is too high and too sharp,
The setting of the picture is good; warm comfortable colors.
If you are looking at a photo, a horse, or any animal with a long body should never be photographed from anywhere in front as the head will always be enlarged out of proportion.

pix
09-27-2007, 05:54 AM
thanks a lot Slurps and bushmama for your critics and time.
that was very helpful great suggestions. however i think it will be useful if i give you the link for reference picture as it might be more helpful.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447028
thanks.

solonite
09-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Hi-
As someone in you original posting of the photo said-this was a tough one. After looking at the original photo one comment I have is the blue of the water tub was pretty-why change it for the painting? Just a thought

D.W. Flint
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I checked out the ref photo which leaves a lot of room for your artistic style. In other words you don't have to slavishly copy a photo. One thing I noticed right away was the lack of light direction. If you placed some shadows under the horses and then indtrduced some highlights on the light source side it would really spark up this painting.
All in all you have a good possiblity here and your ability to make a good painting is quite evident. Keep it up...