PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia

MyraRenee
09-26-2007, 08:29 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-26-2007/97698_Myra_Renee_6736.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Magnolia
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18 X 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Please view this and make suggestions. I posted it a few weeks ago and I could not post the new picture there again. The suggestions on shading were wonderful and helped so much. I like the background.<br><br>

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My customer is wanting it this weekend and I just finished the center of the flower. <br><br>Do I need to seal the painting with anything? I mostly paint in watercolors.<br><br>Not sure what my style is and it does not look as realistic as most of magnolias that I have seen. Your suggestions are appreciated!

Corby
09-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi MyraRenee! Glad you brought the painting to a conclusion in time to get it too your customer. It is traditional and wise to seal an oil painting with varnish so as to protect it from oils and dirt and in time when needed it can be properly cleaned. This cannot be done for a year or six months at the very least. Oil paint does not dry , it oxidizes and turns to being like leather. To varnish too soon can cause cracking and other issues. If it is dry to the touch a light (spray can) application of retouch (damar) varnish will serve to even out any dull blotches or excessively shiny spots.

MyraRenee
09-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Thank you so much, you have been very helpful. Any other suggestions??