PDA

View Full Version : Forest

NativeAmericanArt
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes, it's another landscape. What do you think of it? Comments and honest critique appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2007/111670-DSC01817.JPG

Thanks for looking....

Lois

Bill_E
09-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Lois, I can see that you're thinking about the perspective issue :) Nice job.

The composition has a strong focal point. I do like the strong blue / orange complements. If anything I would have played it up a little by shifting the reds on the foreground to more of an orange with red and yellow highlights. I do like the way you broke up the yellow reflections with horizontal sky reflections. I'm not quite sure where the shadow are coming from, partly because I'm not sure where the light is coming from. All that said, your paintings keep getting better. I can see that your enjoying the journey. Keep painting :)

NativeAmericanArt
09-26-2007, 11:20 PM
Thank you, Bill, for your nice comments. I do plan to keep painting. It is something I enjoy very much.

Lois

dreamz
09-27-2007, 12:44 AM
great piece Lois !

arsuonp
09-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Good job! Let me share simple rules that I have just learned myself:

1) Sky is lighter than ground and vertical objects (trees)
2) Ground is lighter than vertical objects

Of course there are special cases where this rule does not apply, but I think you get the point.

In your case, you have the trees lighter than the ground. This can be possible only if the trees have really light local color (which they usually don't) and if the sun is almost at the horizon. Usually the scene is lighted from the top by the sky and the sun, making the ground gather the most amount of light. In addition, the sky should be the lightest as it's a light source.

LavenderFrost
09-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Nice colours. This one has more of a surreal feel to it.

NativeAmericanArt
09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Doc and Michelle, thank you for the compliments on this painting....I wasn't sure about it since it is different than most of my other landscapes. I used looser brush strokes, and it is not as detailed. I guess surreal does describe it, Michelle.

Thanks, Ari, for your tips, which I will keep in mind for future landscapes.

Lois

alija1001
09-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Lovely picture. Love the perspective of this picture.

NativeAmericanArt
09-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Thank you, Gill, for your positive comments. I appreciate critique, but I love compliments!

Lois