GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Firle Beacon and Hay Bales
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another Sussex landscape, this one looking across the Cuckmere Valley towards Firle Beacon.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything!

toraman
09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
You are quite a good painter, another great painting.
One point is that the clouds are not as realistic as the ground.
Instead of painting from photos, I hope you will be more creative in the future.

eyecandy2
09-26-2007, 05:26 PM
This is a pretty scene, but I would soften the edges of the clouds. They look like cut-outs pasted onto the canvas. I would also glaze over the blue of the sky with magenta and do a pale translucent wash over the clouds to soften them using zinc white with a little lavander. The purples in the back in front of the mountains should be toned down with a little of that zinc white and lavander as well to put some air between it and the forground. Maybe even over the mountains to create depth to the painting.

Corby
09-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Gavin! Another beautiful panorama. Two things I find especially pleasing about this is that you have very nicely portrayed the shadow pattern of the clouds on the ground. Neat! Also I like how the gold and brown of the mown fields actually repeats and pulls us back into the painting. It leaves us with that green "oasis" in the center. Looking forward to seeing more!

La_
09-26-2007, 07:21 PM
wow

i'm thinking if i knew this place, i would recognize it imediately

la

GavinD
09-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks a million, folks. Some good advice Toraman and Eyecandy and a lovely compliment, La. Corvus, yeah, I'm glad you mentioned the way the foreground field pulls the eye into the picture. That was the intention, so I did something right. Hooray! The reference photos for this were taken a few weeks back whilst I was on an epic walk. I was cautiously strolling along a narrow country road when I saw this view emerge through the trees. I must have shot about 100 photos that day, but I knew this would be the first one I attacked because everything about it was so well composed; The clouds, the contours of the fields, the lines of trees and those scattered round bales with the sunlight shining on them. Sometimes places just seem to be begging to be painted, don't they.

Cheers!

Gavin

Spyderbabe
09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Beautiful landscape Gavin. It makes me think I can feel the breezes.
I find the dark cloud across the top a bit opressive - like I should duck my head a bit.

psychotron62
09-28-2007, 01:48 AM
I really like this. It is very realistic, however you could improve the clouds,I had this problem before and now I am practicing with this step by step i found on the net, have fun! http://williampowell-artist.com ...And...if it was your intention to make the clouds look like that I apologize, again I really like your style.