GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Safe Sun
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I've been posting my paintings from magazines. As the days go by I'm taking more of a liberal aproach to the pictures I paint. Still I feel I've captured the essence of the scene. Which is what I always strive for, the rest they say, are distractions.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
If you kind of get what i'm trying to do with this piece, please a comment on how i might have been able to make it better. (in context)<br><br>Thanks alot guys!

_emily_
09-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I really like this! Very nice!
In answer to your question, I think what you could have done better is to have given less definition to her right arm and hand, which to me stand out from the rest of the painting as being more refined, so my attention is drawn there. I also can't tell where the elbow is sitting in space front to back, so the position of the arm looks a little awkward to me.
Overall, I think it is lovely and think you have done a really nice job with the rest of the figure, especially the head and hair, as well as the background, and captured the essence as you say.

Bevahlee
09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree with Emily. I like all the loose application and the color and the light but the left (her left) arm looks just un-attended to. Also the paint seems very thin and the texture of the canvasboard is distracting. Just needs a bit more paint IMHO

eyecandy2
09-26-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't do this kind of art. To me, this is the underpainting or a lazy artist's work. Of course, I paint representational art, but I can appreciate some of the other forms.

Corby
09-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Ming, I see what you are doing here and understand the coming up to white. But I notice it primarily, not because it doesn't work here but because I personally have a problem with bringing everything I paint up to white. I think bringing it in this case up to yellow (Titanium White with just a touch of Cad Yellow) does the same and keeps it from looking chalky. I love the brushwork in this it is so reflective of the Impressionist School.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2007/70790-113685_safe_sun.jpg

Artmakr
09-27-2007, 04:56 AM
eyecandy, Lazy, well I have laboured on pieces before and not got as much satisfaction. Sometimes we have fine dining, and sometimes a sandwich just hits the spot.

there is this thing about representational artist and how the view all other art, and all other artist (based on your quote not plucked from the air)

Thank you Corby, will try it.

ps: anyone already offended at this point please don't read on.

I make representational art too, with my camera phone.

toraman
09-27-2007, 08:43 AM
Beautiful painting, I would like a bit more contrast but still very good work.

And very good statement:

I make representational art too, with my camera phone.

:):rolleyes::D

Artmakr
09-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks toraman

thomas w
09-28-2007, 09:09 AM
I like the composition and light coloring on this one. Corby's improvements work a lot better too. Was this from a magazine ad or from your cell phone camera?
Thomas W

Artmakr
09-28-2007, 11:10 PM
it was from a magazine, but i gave it quite a different treatment.

Slurps
09-28-2007, 11:38 PM
The funny thing is that 150 or so years ago, when cameras were first coming into full functionality, many thought that they would supplant painting and render it nugatory, vestigial, an anachronism. Far from it. Photography might have been one of the driving forces in the expansion of the expressiveness of painting.
Some of the most achingly beautiful paintings are "representational", because the artist is able to infuse his or her interpretation of a scene. To say "I make art with my camera phone" is just short of an insult to those working in realism.
By the same token, artmakr has a good point: this isn't a "lazy" picture. It's an interpretation of an image he confronted. Whether it's academically or technically something that qualifies as art is irrelevant; what matters is that he feels he put enough of the scene into this painting to make his point. We are the ones who are challenged to understand it.
Heck, I see more elegance and effort in a photograph by Maplethorpe than I do in hundreds of paintings, and that is the beauty of art, it allows us to see how the artist interprets the world about him or her. That is the first and most important role of the artist: to translate the environment of the physical and mental things into something that speaks of their nature. Certainly there are myriad artists who are commercially driven, knowing what they can get away with, measuring their works' merits in terms of sales. So be it. They serve a function, that of decorating walls, perhaps.
But to demean another genre or style in favor of your own only lessens you in your claim to being an artist. There is no illegitimate interpretation of the world around you. Have you never dreamed?