PDA

View Full Version : eBay Sales??

RottweilerMom
05-29-2002, 08:35 PM
I was just wondering if eBay has picked up again. I had some great beginner's luck and the last two auctions I listed didn't sell. I saw some posts over here saying that eBay had been quite slow this past month.

How has business been for you guys?? I stopped listing these past couple of weeks and wanted to get a feel for what is going on over there.

Thanks!!

CarlyHardy
05-29-2002, 09:13 PM
Things have slowed down for me too. Last week was better but overall my viewers are way down. I hear it's usually slow around the 1st of the month and picks up by the 15th....I don't know if that's a trend or what!
carly

arlene
05-29-2002, 09:14 PM
Horrible...can't give it away! I wasn't even getting bids on my $2.00 miniatures...well some yes.

Sumafra
05-30-2002, 01:03 AM
I've found it slow for the past while. Last year, after several unsuccessful attempts, I started selling in July and sold regularly after that. So maybe things will pick up again this summer.

kjsspot
05-30-2002, 01:26 AM
It's still slow, but not nearly as dead as it was in April. It seems to be picking up gradually.

Shai
05-30-2002, 04:09 AM
I just stared selling at eBay about three weeks ago (mostly simple, small paintings) and I'm now on my fourth week.

The first week, I sold one out of two.

The next week, I relisted the one that didn't sold and it ended up with 6 bids (and doubled the starting bid!) and the same winner bought another new painting (also for around 3 bids). I sold another one with multiple bids as well, and one painting didn't get a bid at all. Definitely my best week by far.

Third week, I listed four new paintings and sold three (only one with multiple bids).

This week, I have no bids yet (with 4 new paintings & 1 relisted item from Week 3). VERY LOW number of lookers as well, compared to Weeks 1-3. :(

I don't see a trend yet, so we'll just see how it goes... But I do find pleasure when a buyer buys/bids on two (or more) of my paintings. :)

dk_art
05-30-2002, 04:34 AM
Shai .... I have been selling my chinese ink and watercolour drawings on ebay for a couple months now (I had sold some more expensive ones over the last couple years but not very consistantly). It's become quite consistant in that I sell 75% - 80% of my items and some get more than one bid. But this week I only have 2 bids out of 18 items and they end in about 19 hours ( http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=dk-art&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1&include=0&page=1&rows=25 ). I'm a little worried and I'm baffled as to why there's a difference this week. Of course people might be waiting until the last moment. I will see ... if it's really bad it may be because of the holiday weekend last weekend in the US and Canada. I figure after having a good weekend and also spending more , maybe people will be just a bit more reluctant to buy for a week or so afterwards.

cagathoc
05-30-2002, 07:52 AM
but last week I sold 7 paintings on eBay! :D

I still have 3 up right now - one has 4 bids.

For me, it's picked back up this past week...

RottweilerMom
05-30-2002, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone,

Maybe I'll start relisting one or two just to see what happens. I am getting some new material made into prints. Maybe I just need to put some new stuff up there.

Thanks again!

Sumafra
05-30-2002, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Shai
The first week, I sold one out of two.

The next week, I relisted the one that didn't sold and it ended up with 6 bids (and doubled the starting bid!) and the same winner bought another new painting (also for around 3 bids). I sold another one with multiple bids as well, and one painting didn't get a bid at all. Definitely my best week by far.

Third week, I listed four new paintings and sold three (only one with multiple bids).

Shai, congratulations, you are doing very well. Way to go.

Shai
06-01-2002, 03:49 AM
dk_art , I think you might be right about that Memorial Day weekend slump. The stats for those days seem unusually low for a weekend.

Anyway, I finally got bids yesterday. 2 out of the 4 new paintings I posted last week has one bid each. Both are CAT paintings. ;) The relisted painting has still no bid. Oh well... I'm quite happy anyway, since I'm still new at this. :D

BTW, your chinese watercolours look fun!!

Shai
06-01-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Sumafra
Shai, congratulations, you are doing very well. Way to go.

Oh wow! Thanks, Sumafra! I don't really know how to gauge 'success' at this since I'm new. But, I'm enjoying the whole process anyway. It's a fun, learning and growing experience. :)

dk_art
06-01-2002, 05:31 AM
That's great shai ... I myself mainly paint cats with the ones I put on ebay. Maybe you should test it out and paint a few more cats (that is if you'd like to ). I find a lot of people like cat images or even dogs so if you like painting those then try some more (my opinion ... might not work I suppose).

Actually it turned out that mine started getting bids the last day (ended a coiuple days ago) and ended up being pretty good. I sold a bit fewer but a handful went up quite a bit in price. The lot that sold was split between 2 bidders who were having a battle over a few ... hehe :D . Now I have 16 more up there again ... hehe

I was looking at your paintings and they are nice but I noticed that they are all listed under "self-representing artist" catagory. I wonder if you might get more people browsing if you put some in different catagories. This time I put all of mine in the paintings/ contemporary / american which I feel is the one that I get the most looks from but I usually put some in different painting catagories or under drawings (works in my case) or self-representing. Have you tried putting some in different catagories and seeing what the counters say.

Oh by the way ... this one's really great (IMHO)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=879446925

Shai
06-01-2002, 11:04 PM
First of all, CONGRATS on getting those sales in the end, dk_art! Isn't it fun when customers start a bidding war? It's the only kind of war I like. :)

About these:

Originally posted by dk_art
I was looking at your paintings and they are nice but I noticed that they are all listed under "self-representing artist" catagory. I wonder if you might get more people browsing if you put some in different catagories.[/url]

Thanks for the tip! I really appreciate it. I guess I'm just a bit uncertain about where to put my stuff in terms of categories. But, I think you're right. I should experiment using different categories, as it might help people find my stuff more.

Originally posted by dk_art
Oh by the way ... this one's really great (IMHO)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=879446925

Wow! Thanks. I just posted it yesterday, and it is getting the most hits out of the four new ones I posted. I hope that it goes WAY up in price. :D

dk_art
06-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Shai - Thanks and you're welcome

The bidder who bought 7 items has yet to reply to my email while the person who bought 4 items has paid by paypal. I can't stand people who don't reply within a few days of auction end.

tammy
06-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Its the Summer slump acomin! ekk.
I had 2 aucitons end at only pennies by 2 0 fb buyers and haven't heard a word from them. Bout right!

kjsspot
06-02-2002, 11:28 PM
GEEZ!!! Tammy that's terrible!!

tammy
06-03-2002, 12:32 AM
I agree KJ. Beware of user ID with a name and a bunch of numbers after it with 0 fb and shades.! And they bid on low bids.

tammy
06-03-2002, 12:38 AM
oops I forgot to throw a rock at Cindy before I leave this thread! LOL! 0>

Shai
06-03-2002, 12:45 AM
That's terrible, Tammy!

Is it possible to cancel bids by these type of bidders before the auction ends and then ban them?

cagathoc
06-03-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by tammy
oops I forgot to throw a rock at Cindy before I leave this thread! LOL! 0>

OUCH! ;)

tammy
06-03-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Shai
That's terrible, Tammy!

Is it possible to cancel bids by these type of bidders before the auction ends and then ban them?

Unfortunately No. All I can do is go throught the NBP routine with eBay and then maybe get my listing fees back and then I can put them on my block list. The auction already ended before I knew they were going to be Non paying.

tammy
06-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by cagathoc

OUCH! ;)
Darn, Cindy. I meant to throw my marshmellow rock. Sorry bout that.