PDA

View Full Version : Magnolia- x-post in color pencil

fawnridge-art
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Here is the Magnolia flower. Reference photo by raboyd. This was supposed to be in the cp August challenge, but I just got the papers in.

9 x 12" on green 'ivy' Mi-teintes, prismacolor pencils

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2007/42592-magnolia_web.jpg

and the reference photo by raboyd:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2007/42592-magnolia_by_raboyd_web.jpg

fawnridge-art
09-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I reworked the values, thanks to ams and tessDB 's help.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/42592-magnolia_1_web.jpg

jeanvrb
09-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Good job on the rework. The leaves look very realistic. Magnolia leaves do definitely have that shine that you have captured. Magnolia is my state flower and magnolia painting is a popular thing here. Interesting note about magnolias - they can have from 7 to 15 petals, all the same on one tree of course. I have one tree with 10 and another within 50 feet has 15 petals. Some trees are pyramid shape (branches almost to the ground), and others that have their branches way up high on the trunk. Hurricane Katrina in this area caused a lot of the magnolia trees to lose their top, but they always strive to recover and come up with 2 trunks where the top was lost.

I have pastel pencils and watercolor pencils, but have not tried just colored pencils. I usually work in transparent watercolor or oil paint. Might have to get me some Prismacolor pencils like yours. Since you x-post in colored pencils, maybe you can tell me which forum to post pastel pencil work. Would it be in colored pencil, or pastel forum?

Jeanette

fawnridge-art
09-27-2007, 08:51 PM
maybe both? I'm not sure.
And thanks Jeanette for the comments. Also thanks about the flower info. It's nice to get info like that from those who live in the local area of the flowers when you don't have the flower in front of you.
I want to experiment with other types of pencils. Have wc ones, but haven't done much with them yet. Would like to try pastels also. Which do you like better, the chalky type (sorry I don't know the name) or the oil base ones?

Too many things to try, so little time and money.....or something like that. :)

jeanvrb
09-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Post by fawnridge-art
I want to experiment with other types of pencils. Have wc ones, but haven't done much with them yet. Would like to try pastels also. Which do you like better, the chalky type (sorry I don't know the name) or the oil base ones?
I have used the chalky pencils and also soft pastel sticks, but do have some of the oil base, I think. I think they are more like a cross between pencils and crayons. I like to use the sticks for large areas like background. When first using pastel, the chalky feel really bothered me, but got used to it. I haven't posted in pastel or pencil forum yet.

Jeanette

Artist_by_Accident
09-28-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm another Southern Magnolia lover and also feel that you've really captured the leaves! They are so thick & leathery but such a wonderful shiny green and you've nailed them.

So much pink in the petals bothers me a bit because there's usually only creamy yellows with a lot of reflected green from the leaves with maybe some blue-green reflected from the sky and leaves together.

Also, the petals are usually cup shaped. You've left off the shadow on that bottom petal which makes it look convex instead of concave.

Neither the color or the petal shape are fatal flaws and this really looks charming as is but just not a realistic magnolia bloom imho if you're going for strict realism. If you weren't going for strict realism, it's really very pretty & I love how you've highlighted the petal edges & given the whole flower it's own personality.

Jeanette, I think pastel is posted in the pastel forum and colored pencil work is posted in the cp forum.

ABA

fawnridge-art
09-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Thank you ABA- I am trying for realism, but can't go any further with this one, paper is done! I tried to stay away from the violet (in pink), but as pointed out in cp forum, flower shadows, my first one, came forward, not back. And IRL the shadow is there on the petal, just didn't come forth in the scan. I think the scan did make it a little more rosy pink than irl also. Next time, I guess, but thanks for the heads up on color. Maybe if I used the blues instead of the violets for the shadows??? What do you think?

Charlie's Mum
09-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Kathy - I agree with the comments above about the shadows - but understand when the paper's had enough! :lol:
I think green over the pink would grey those shadows down to a better 'dark cream' version - it's a very cool colour isn't it, and I can't quite see warm shadows in this flower!
Lovely leaves - those dark, glossy, tough leaves!
Gorgeous flower - for us they're only pot plants - I'd love to grow them!

loralee55
10-01-2007, 12:41 AM
Your flower is wonderful!
loralee

fawnridge-art
10-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Thank you Maureen and Loralee.

To the color controversy: I had a chance to chat with a teacher at the university in the art department and brought up the violet/pink issue. She said that the eye will fool you to see only the white when out in the nature, but in early morning or late evening, violet is a very predominant color in white flowers. It is the complementary color of yellow, and if yellow is present, violet is the shadow color.
So, let's pretend it is very early morning and the violet is just shadow, not part of the flower color. :lol:

PERUGINA
10-05-2007, 09:40 AM
I love magnolias...have done a few of them myself... I love the simplicity of this one... very nice...:clap:

Lady Carol
10-05-2007, 10:25 PM
The reworked version is lovely. I think white is terribly hard to pull off effectively and you did a terrific job of it. Well done.

fawnridge-art
10-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Thanks a lot, Perugina and Carol. I really love all the colors one can use to make white! :smug: