PDA

View Full Version : i'm sorry

mel-o
05-29-2002, 06:44 PM
was not intending to come off as mean-spirited when i replied to the post New Here. In haste, I did not pay attention to the time of the post or the day of the week, only the number of views compared to the lack of response. I have found myself becoming frustrated, especially in another forum, with the difference between the two numbers. At times, it seems that only certain people get a generous number of responses. If I would have taken a deep breath, I would have seen the time frame and the fact that this forum isn't cliquey and is very helpful. I do apologize and will try to take my own name's advice.

mel

Elankat
05-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the apology, Mel. :)

TeAnne
05-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Good onya Mel :D
We all make mistakes
Thanks * I accept your apology :D
Now, will you be joing us the the ONLINE PostCard Project? :D

arlene
05-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks Mel-o,

You'll see, like i said that everyone here tries to help one another.
Welcome aboard!

mel-o
05-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Thanks you all. I'm glad you couldn't see me blush when the replies came in :eek: Hopefully, I'll show myself not to be a total moron in the future. I'm off to check out the postcard project.

mel

ArtWench
05-31-2002, 11:27 AM
Mel, you aren't the only one feeling this way. The first (and only) piece I've posted has 106 views and five responses, one of which was my own. I went back to check and yes, you were one of the responses (for which I am grateful :D ).

But I did feel alienated... Like I have walked naked into a room full of Quakers or something. And it makes a newbie feel as if their work is just so awful that no-one wants to bother to post comments or that they have done something really terrible which has ticked off the other members.

On the other hand, there are people in this forum who have gone out of their way to be friendly and helpful. TeAnne, LeAnne, Wingnut, and you jump immediately to mind (though there are others... I just can't remember their names right off hand). And I do have to say that this forum is far friendlier than the Portraiture forum (in which I've received 29 views and NO responses).

So, what I have been doing is seeking out the posts which have few responses (although TeAnne usually beats me out there). And I have figured out that it usually has nothing to do with the talent of the artist or the personality of the artist. Wish I knew what it was!

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!

Elankat
05-31-2002, 01:00 PM
Gotcha beat there! My latest post in portraiture has 126 views and 2 replies.

Really, I think it has to do with not always knowing what to say. A lot of times, I go back to something several times before replying. It may be something that I don't know much about or perhaps the style is different than what I like, even though it is done well. Sometimes I have a nitpicky little criticism and don't know whether to post it or not. Sometimes I just miss the post.

I really don't think there is too much clique-ish about it. I know that I have looked at one of Mel's pieces over on the sketching forum several times and never replied because I don't know exactly what I want to say about it. I can't remember if I replied to Cathexis's post or not.

We all try though to do what we can though :)

ArtWench
05-31-2002, 01:56 PM
I understand about not knowing what to say. I usually try to find at least one thing that I like about the piece and comment on it because encouragement is so valuable to us sensitive arty types.

And perhaps you aren't sure what to say; but, your recent post regarding my portrait was terrific. So, sometimes what you think may not matter really does.

I'm sorry to hear about your post in Portraiture. I kinda quit hanging out over there 'cuz I felt like a nonentity! Now I'll have to go check out your post! :)

Ivyleaf
06-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Thanks Mel for the apology.

Yes, there are a number of reasons each of us have for posting or not posting.

I too usually look at a piece several times before deciding what to say. I like to think about things then comment.

The past year, I've also had a myriad of health problems keeping me away from posting as much as I'd like to. However, I'm always available by PM and more than willing to look/comment/help on anything anyone draws my attention to!

:) :) :)
Ivy

arlene
06-01-2002, 01:22 AM
if i don't have more than great job or something like that to say, i'll post immediately...otherwise it can take me up to a week...or more...but i do try to get to everyone.

no one that i see here is including or excluding certain members in their replies...i'm not following u cathexis...you singled out four of our terrific members on this forum, but left off all the other great members.

remember half the people looking may not even be registered members of wc...if they're not, they can't post!

ArtWench
06-01-2002, 03:25 PM
no one that i see here is including or excluding certain members in their replies...i'm not following u cathexis...you singled out four of our terrific members on this forum, but left off all the other great members.

remember half the people looking may not even be registered members of wc...if they're not, they can't post! [/B]

Arlene, if you will notice I wrote that the four that I mentioned were the ones who came to mind when I was writing the post. I also mentioned that there were others who are helpful and I just was unable to remember their names.

There are some terrific people here which is why I chose to stay. And I have learned quite a lot in the brief time I have been here. Please don't get me wrong, WetCanvas is a terrific forum to be a part of.

Mel and I both; however, have felt passed over and we are just sharing these feelings. Isn't it better that we tell the forum than to go off and sulk? My intention was to let Mel know that she is not alone in her feelings, not to accuse. I know that everyone has time constraints and nobody is perfect. I am definitely not perfect and am not judging. I am just sharing my perspective.

And you raise a very valid point about the viewers who are not registered. I hadn't thought about that aspect of the situation until now. Do you have any way of knowing how many people subsribe to the colored pencil forum?

arlene
06-01-2002, 03:52 PM
You'll notice that the number of replies vs. the number of viewers is a tiny proportion. There are some threads that get 300+ hits, yet only 12-15 replies.

There are many factors for this.
1. The artist asked for feedback and particularly was asking for help on a section of the art, etc. These usually get more replies.

2. Someone might post something positive, like me with my getting accepted to the cpsa, and we all want to acknowledge our own.

3. There might be usefull information being given out about a new technique, etc.

But even on these threads you'll see that while there might be 20 or 30 replies, you'll see 300+ views.

As for feeling left out, I apologize you've been made to feel that way. This is still a relatively quiet forum...so we take our time here knowing that the thread will still be on the first page a few day's later.

I would ask on what thread did you particularly feel passed over? I dislike that anyone would feel that...

oops gotta go look at minivans...i'm such a suburban mom...sigh.

ArtWench
06-01-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by arlene

As for feeling left out, I apologize you've been made to feel that way. This is still a relatively quiet forum...so we take our time here knowing that the thread will still be on the first page a few day's later.

I would ask on what thread did you particularly feel passed over? I dislike that anyone would feel that...

oops gotta go look at minivans...i'm such a suburban mom...sigh.

Thanks Arlene. Now I know... I'll post "HELP!" when I want everyone to look... LOL! Just being facetious.

Actually, after I griped here I got a lot more comments in my thread (each of which has been thoroughly appreciated). It is the thread entitled " WIP: Ally CD cover".

Perhaps I should post that I am looking for comments, critique, etc.?

Know what you mean about the suburban mom thing. A couple of weeks ago, my husband pointed out that I had become a soccer mom.... Sure enough, I have that magnetic soccer ball on the back of my SUV! Sheesh! I used to be such a rebel!

Rose Queen
06-02-2002, 12:02 AM
Just call up all new posts some time and look at the ratio of views to responses. There are always vastly more views than responses in every forum for each and every poster. This is obviously a place most people come to look rather than participate, so please don't take a low number of responses personally.

Carrie
06-04-2002, 10:14 AM
remember half the people looking may not even be registered members of wc...if they're not, they can't post!

I was looking at this site and peoples art for a couple months before I registered. There are links to wet canvas on a lot of art sites and if you use the dick blick catalog........well there it is!
This post deffineately gives me something to think about.

I personally like the smaller forums!!

Carrie:cat:

arlene
06-04-2002, 01:31 PM
welcome carrie...hope to see some of your cp work soon?

psumom122
06-04-2002, 01:48 PM
I guess I'll throw in my two cents. I just happened to stumble onto this site and I have been "browsing" for awhile now and really not saying much. I characterize myself as someone who is dipping their toe into the shallow end of the pool, so I don't really feel I have the expertise to critique anything. However, my most common reaction to the art that is posted here is "WOW!" I am just "blown away" by the talent. :) So as I continue to absorb (hopefully) all that is offered here, maybe one day I will be able to offer something as well.

Linda

ArtWench
06-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Linda, when in the role of viewer your response is always valid! And I would venture to guess that every artist, no matter how long they have been drawing, will always appreciate a WOW!

Art is a means of visual communication. The artist talks through his or her medium and the viewer responds. When the viewer does not respond, the artist feels like his/her message is not being "heard". So please, do respond viscerally... You will validate the artist's message. :)

psumom122
06-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Angela, point well taken. As a viewer, I do have an opinion and I don't really need to make some kind of profound comment. Sometimes a "WOW" says it all! :)

Linda

Wingnut
06-04-2002, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents here - so look out!! :D

I wish Scott would eliminate the "number of views" box entirely! Mostly because I think it gives people the wrong impression, like I think it has here. :( I (for one) view everything I can, but only comment when I have time, if I think my input is helpful, to ask a question, or if something really catches my attention, and a bunch of other reasons I can't think of at the moment.. Sometimes I'll not comment because I've already talked to the person in the chat room and don't feel the need to repeat myself (although I do realize the value of having the comments available in the thread for others to read). However, that's not my point.. what is my point is that what some people don't realize is the "view" number isn't just counting new views - its also counting every time someone comes back to view the post again - maybe to see who else has commented, or see if a question has been asked/answered, or just come back because they they like to look at the pretty picture!

Its always great when someone takes the time to comment on posts, but one of the reasons I write "thanks for looking" is to thank those lurkers (registered and unregistered) who just take a quick peek too!

okay I'm done - back to your regularly schedualed program! :p

Elankat
06-04-2002, 05:09 PM
I characterize myself as someone who is dipping their toe into the shallow end of the pool, so I don't really feel I have the expertise to critique anything.

That never stops me. :)

mel-o
06-04-2002, 05:11 PM
Wow this thread really grew. I've been away and hadn't had a chance to see until now where it went. After feeling resentful and hurt when I first started posting on this site, I had a perspective fixer. I realized that looking at the views and other people's number of responses was just making me feel like crap...and it was my own fault. Then I thought about why I do art...to relax...to experiment...to have fun. Worrying about what ppl said or didn't say was taking that away from me. I realized then, that it's not who or how many that respond, or even if anyone does. Its that I did the piece. And, I was taught in the drawing forum that it's not quantity, it's all about quality. I got a small number of responses to a picture, but they were so amazingly helpful. I mean, these people took a lot of time to really help me out. I was blown away by that. That's what I need to focus on. Not the responses or lack of, but the art itself and the wonderful people that have helped me along the way. I never should have blown up on that post a few weeks ago, but it has sparked interesting discussion to be sure. Oh, one more thing, now I make myself not look at my posts for a few days. I have learned that ppl are not sitting around waiting to reply LOL. They have lives and it takes time to review and respond. And as indicated above, some people really like to think out their responses, which I appreciate as well. Okay, didn't mean to be that long-winded. Now I'm done.

mel

p.s. Cathexis, thanks for trying to let me know that others were feeling the same frustration. I appreciate that gesture very much.

strawberry
06-05-2002, 01:23 PM
That was a really mature attitude to take, Mel-O.

I don't comment as much as I'd like to on peoples' work. It seems trite to me to just say something like "oh, wow!" even though that's often my first reaction around here. On the other hand, I'm a rank novice and completely untrained in art. I could critique an essay for you, but put a picture in front of me and I go almost speechless.

I wish I could contribute more, because people here have given me so much useful feedback. But I just don't know what to say most of the time.

So that's why I read a lot more than I write here.