PDA

View Full Version : First post, White Kitten

SBWilson
09-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi everyone, my name is Sue, from Ontario, Canada. This is my first time posting. I have no formal art training so this site is proving to be a blessing.

I'd like to share this piece I've been working on. I can't remember for sure, but I believe I got the original photo from the RIL, my apologies for not paying more attention to who it was that submitted the photo, but thank you, he's been a blast. Windsor & Newton on 12" x 9", 140lb coldpressed Cotman Water Colour Block.

The photo reduces the depth of the colour in the piece in front of me, bad lighting. Comments, critiques and insights are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks, Sue.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2007/115887-cat2.JPG
The Original photo

.........aaaand, what I got from it ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2007/115887-white_kitten.jpg
...I'll see if I can't get a better pic of it tomorrow :)

painterbear
09-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Hi Sue,
Welcome to the Watercolor Forum and congratulations on your first painting post.

Your little kitten is so sweet. I like the way you've cropped the photo and painted the kitty. I think he looks better than in the photo.

The only suggestion I would make is to carry some of the purple in the background over to the right side but much lighter.

I like how you have his paws sticking out around the frame of the background. That's different and clever.

Sylvia

mgiedd
09-25-2007, 06:40 AM
He is so adorable. I really commend u for your painting. In white, no less. Good job!

Doug Gulley
09-25-2007, 07:55 AM
Nice I look forward to seeing your next posting.

Doug

Yorky
09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Nice composition Sue, welcome to the forum. Check out the links in my signature for classes, demos and information.

Doug

SBWilson
09-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Thank you everyone, for your support. He was definitely a lot of fun. Perhaps I will carry some of the purple over into the right ...maybe in a few days. For now, I just need to set him away, and reevaluate fresh.
Doug, I will definitely check out your links, thanks!

wtrclrgrl
09-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Wow, great pic, adorable!!! Welcome!!!

EYN
09-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Hi Sue,

I love it! waiting to see more of your work..

Eyn.

CharM
09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Welcome to another Ontarian!!! Hi Sue! :clap: WHERE in Ontario (it's such a BIG province)?????

I love your kitten and the composition you designed from the reference photo... It's clear that you've been painting for awhile... Tell us a little about yourself!!!

bluegenes
09-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Aww! What a sweet little kitty! Congrats on your first post. (Hopefully first of many!)

I'm curious too to find out what part of the province you are from!

Patty

olliewood0702
09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
GREAT job Sue and WELCOME! That kitten is so cute....is he yours? You did a great job on rendering him. Wonderful first post and keep on painting and posting!

SBWilson
09-26-2007, 10:38 PM
I am from Kitchener, Ontario... born and raised ;)

I've been painting for a few years, but really only about one worthwhile project (at least where I'm satisfied in the end) per year. About a year ago, I began playing with watercolours. Some of the paintings I was happy with, some not so much. That's how I came across this site, through searching for techniques and info. Not just for watercolour, but also for oils and acrylics. As a child, my Dad encouraged my love for drawing but we didn't really touch on any of the technical stuff... colour, composition, light & shadow...etc etc. This site is definitely filling in a lot of the gaps, but I have a long way to go. Discipline being one of my biggest issues. When I'm feeling all inspired, it's almost too easy for me to over do whatever it is that I'm doing, rather than taking my time toward a more significant outcome. Delayed gratification, if I don't delay it, I usually do not achieve it.

Anyway, thank you all for welcoming me aboard, I look forward to further postings, and hope that one day I may be able to help someone else as well.

bluegenes
09-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, you're not too far away from a lot of us! Keep an eye open for our annual get together in June! We always have a lot of fun! :)

Patty