PDA

View Full Version : Plants from San Diego CA

debsn2paintn
09-24-2007, 11:15 PM
I just got back from a mini weekend vacation to San Diego. I saw these plants there, don't know what they are called but they were just so interesting.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/debsn2paintin/photos056sm.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r141/debsn2paintin/photos054sm.jpg

Fozbot
09-24-2007, 11:39 PM
i'm pretty sure they're ferns, Deb.:) btw, great photos!

debsn2paintn
09-25-2007, 12:19 AM
We don't have many ferns here where I live. I did figure it was a fern, but really didn't know what kind :o I really like the little spirals to them.

Thanks for the info Billie :)

Artist_by_Accident
09-25-2007, 06:46 AM
Are they Fiddleheads? I've never seen a Fiddlehead in person but some friends from Maine talk about them a lot & these appear to have the same characteristics.

These are very interesting plants and great photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.

ABA

chaffee
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Nice pics, Deb!

Yeah, these look like ferns to me.
It looks as though you got a snap of one of the "leaves" unfurling.

A Fiddlehead is actually the name given to the immature sprouts of the fern. Up my way they grow in the woods and riverbanks. In the Spring you can find patches of them...little green things sticking out of the ground with spiral tops. They are very cool looking, indeed, with the spirals, not to mention delicious when sauteed with olive oil and garlic! I have a fairly current (last week) post over in the Pen & Ink forum entitled "Funky Fiddleheads +" which depicts fiddleheads in a kind of abstract way. They do make a fascinating subject for artwork.

Tim

midcoast
09-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Lovely! Wow, so crisp, and artistic with the composition :) Nice!

Nancy

Margaret 59
09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
Debs., our national airline uses the koru (the curly bit of the opening fern) as its insignia and as ferns are very common here our sports teams also use them - the Silver Ferns, the Black Ferns etc.
I'm very fond of ferns too. :lol:

ticktock01
09-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Deb,
Very nice shots.
I particularly like the first shot. Terrific Bokeh in that one. Nice and sharp and great color too.

Charlie's Mum
09-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Lovely pics Deb - I grow ferns in the garden ... they take over! - but as I said to Terry, I can't photo them like this! Lovely!

Now - if they're for use, will you link them in the 'Snag' thread please? - that's a very 'pretty please' :D :angel:

debsn2paintn
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Lovely pics Deb - I grow ferns in the garden ... they take over! - but as I said to Terry, I can't photo them like this! Lovely!

Now - if they're for use, will you link them in the 'Snag' thread please? - that's a very 'pretty please' :D :angel:

:D Okay it done :)

:wave: Terry! The first one is my favorite too.

Thanks for commenting Margaret, Nancy, and ABA.

Tim thanks for all the fern info :)

jeanvrb
09-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Deb, that is a very unusual plant. At the end of the plant in the first picture, it looks exactly like a tomato worm. I know it can't be, because it is connected, but I have seen tomato worms actually pose as a stem on the tomato stalk. It sticks it's body out into the air at the same angle as a stem.

Jeanette

Laura D
09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Deb, it looks like an immature frond (fiddlehead) of the leatherleaf fern. Lovely photos.

debsn2paintn
09-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Jeanette- Yeah I can see that too :)

Hi Laura, thanks for the comment, how are you feeling these days?

Laura D
09-29-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey ya Deb. Still waitin' for a good day. Pout. Hope you are well and happy.

ranunkel
09-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice shots!

This is definitely fern, they grow all over my garden I as weed, I have to dig them up or they will take over my garden LOL.