GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Maggie
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 12 x 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I want to enter this into competition so if there is something that really kills this piece please give me your opinion.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything

Corby
09-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Is the floor Paynes Gray? It is just sort of domineering and dull...the child of course is another matter. You do your girls well!

There is a slight hint of green playing through that back wall, could just the barest hint of a cool green be glazed over the gray, not be so lifeless and make that red shirt really sing?

Grunge
09-25-2007, 12:00 AM
the ground is asphalt. rather a tar like a road, driveway, etc. I forget the exact mix but it was indigo and something else. I have it written down and will let you know. I think the green in the wall is coming from a mix of indigo and quin gold. (there was a third colour in there to make a dirty yellow, but i', sure the green is from the yellow/blue mix.)

Thanks Corby!

Slurps
09-25-2007, 12:26 AM
You really are talented with figures. All of your paintings seem to point to a great gift for that. I think the shading on her left arm is a bit rough, but then I get to her left hand and think "wow, sweet job on that hand". Lots of great things in this picture, from the pose, the expression on her face, the wonderful job on the hair. I'd like to see more texture in the asphalt, to take away the chalkboard appearance, and a bit less of the harsh light look when it comes to the sharply delineated shadows. Particularly where the shadows of the leg and feet are concerned, if this is a brightly lit day you'd expect reflected light to mute the shadows' edges. I'd also like to see the edge where the wall meets the pavement furred out a bit. Asphalt is rarely so crisply formed. She seems pretty close to the wall, so I query whether the blocks / bricks would be as unfocused.

Good luck on the competition!

La_
09-25-2007, 01:51 AM
wow

hard to pick at anything, you do have a way with people 'n watercolors

the pavement above her right foot is trying to float

uhhhh, hmmm, nope, can't pick at anything else

should be a winner, and if not, they're just stoopid

lol

good luck : )

la

Ronni
09-25-2007, 04:10 AM
I love it. Get the feel of the girl's character. Need a bit more color in the face's and legs' skin, and Corvus is right about the floor. I know you can't reduce watercolors tones though.
A lovely painting!
Ronni

s2jones
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Maggie, Nice work! However, the big toe sticking up like you have it doesn't make sense to me and actually takes away from the picture at least for me. I also would like to see more of a shadow on the skate board behind the girl as if the sun is in the direction you have it coming from one would expect the shadow from the girls body. I think that is what makes her appear to be floating on the skateboard. The face and hair is well done. I think once you address the above you will have a winner. :thumbsup:

gousalya
09-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Very nice, the girl seems relaxed and comfortable. Colors are soothing. I too have a problem with the big toe....

Dhuot
09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
You are very good and clever with that medium T.
The composition is very good, and the little girls glasses are way too cool :D
The dividing line between the bricks and the asphalt could use an extra push
Great work :)

Grunge
09-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone!! I think I can play with the asphalt a bit. perhaps some light coloured splatter, softer edges at the the meeting with the brick..but the toe has got to stay..it's too late to do anything with it...and I think it's kind of charming... well anyway...her is the reference photo. I think her shadow is downed out by the reflected light...a big white garage door to the right side of the photo...you just can't see it. also, clouds were playing with the light and shadows around her.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2007/60457-1.1.jpg

pix
09-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Her glasses need some reflections, will add some drama there.

RACHEL52
09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
hi, i love this painting and it reminds me of my grandaughter , the toe is great. it is so natural .rachel