PDA

View Full Version : Reflections Near Portage

mobius49
09-24-2007, 06:59 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-24-2007/82256_Reflections_Near_Portage_2007.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Reflections Near Portage
Year Created: 2007
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11 x 15
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
all critique welcome.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am looking for feedback in area....I'm thinking of entering this in an upcoming show. Thank you.

mellymel
09-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Love the Fireweed and the Mountains. :clap: The only thing I would change would be the reflection of the trees in the water. The reflection of the sky is perfect, but the tree reflections just seem unnatural in the bottom right corner somehow. Overall I think its a beautiful painting.

Spyderbabe
09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Theres some hardedges in the mountain on the right that could be smoothed out. The seem to make upside down V shapes.
Consider bringing the dark blue to the foreground water. And maybe a touch of pure color to the foreground flowers?

kathrynlovespets
09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
beautiful..it's a postcard...looks like one...i love the blue in the mountain

Corby
09-25-2007, 12:24 AM
There is so much visual weight on the right that it needs a balance established on the left. There is nothing there that can reflect in the water, so I would darken the edges of the land as it meets the water along those places. Then the small clump of trees on the left hand horizon could be made just slightly larger and slightly darker. Then moving to the foreground, left front, mass those flowers and the dark vegetation and shadow. That might be enough to give it needed balance. It will also give it a greater sense of depth.

hward
09-25-2007, 12:30 PM
You have a nice painting here. Sometimes watercolorists amaze me with what they can do with a medium which thoroughly frustrates me. Good color and texture, original composition (despite the millions of lake and mountain pictures). The plants are pleasant to look at, and the overall perspective is fairly good (maybe a bit shaky at the left edge of the lake).

Crits:
The trees are too dark -- this is especially bad because the reflected trees contain highlights while the real trees don't. Some of the clouds look a bit like snow-covered mountains. Some of the ground to the left could use more texture. The whites reflected in the water are brighter than the original whites which are being reflected, which, I think, is not physically possible.

I'd add a bit of story, say a house in the distance or smoke from a campfire.