PDA

View Full Version : An Evening Out

midcoast
09-24-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm not sure how the title of this came to me...."An Evening Out" oil on linen, 10"x12". Sorry for the glare speckles...I really need to get a polarizing filter for my camera!

I took a slightly different approach on this one to get the intense color in the drapery. I used a grisaille, then layered various reds over that once it was dry. The first layer of red was transparent using a traditional glazing medium, then I gradually added slightly thicker paint to get that texture.

The rose took me a couple of tries. It was actually an orangish rose (David Austin's Tamora), but the orange didn't go well with the red background. I decided to make the rose pink/red instead so it works better as a painting.

Cheers!

Nancy

Terry Wynn
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Hi, Nancy,

I love the way you've painted the fabric. The rose is, of course, beautifully done also.

Very nice.

Terry

Fozbot
09-24-2007, 10:44 PM
the light on this is spectacular! i love all the reds, too. you've succeeded in setting the mood with this one, Nancy.:)

birdhs
09-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Even with the faulty photo, this is a charming painting...I see why you titled it...I guess it could either represent before the evening out or after...simplicity worked in this case, less was more (or moire!)...sorry about that...thanks for posting...it pleaseth thine eyes

debsn2paintn
09-25-2007, 12:21 AM
I like the way you made the red rose stand out with so much red around it...nice job. :) The glass looks wonderful too.

rmc
09-25-2007, 06:01 AM
lovely textures and mood - beautiful painting

midcoast
09-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone! This was one of those that I almost let intimidate me into not painting it. I'd never successfully painted velvet OR glass before, so it was an adventure. It's due to go into a holiday show in November, so if it sells, I promise to buy a polarizing filter with the proceeds :)

Nancy