PDA

View Full Version : The Oil Gusher Sept. 24 - Sept. 30

Pat Isaac
09-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Good morning everyone,

We have been having beautiful weather lately. Warm days and cool nights. We started putting our vegetable garden to bed over the weekend. Most of it is up and there are just tomatoes and beets left and some flowers and weeds...always weeds. Today will be a studio day and I'll post my results later.
The email problem has nothing to do with my new computer as I receive everything except from WC. It is annoying.
So come in and share your joys, concerns...or just the day to day routine and lets get aquainted.

Have a great day:) :) :)

Pat

wabbitt
09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone :)

It finally rained here. Good steady rain Friday and Saturday. Today, everything looks washed...even the trees were looking dusty. Except for a couple breaks, I spent all weekend inside working on my three views of muscles. I spent more time on it than I needed to because I did some shading to show volume but I'm really happy with it this way.

Angela, good luck with your floor & reovations this week. Originally I'd planned to go shopping for a storm door to replace my screen door but Mom's afraid of slipping on wet floors and pavements, so that plan was squashed as soon as it got a little wet.

AnnieA
09-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Pat: I love Fall weather, and the change in the light, and weather too, is definitely saying Fall now here too - much cooler temps (especially at night) and softer light. It sounds like you are enjoying your Fall weather as I am - except for the weeds!

It does sound odd that only your WC emails aren't coming through, and although I suppose it's possible that something got adjusted when you got your new computer that only applied to WC, it does seem unlikely. The problem seems like it's been going on for a while now. I hope it gets worked out soon.

Julie: Nice to hear about the relief that the rain brought. Personally, I'm dreading the return of seriously rainy weather here in the NW. Have you posted your sketch of the muscles somewhere on WC? (I'd love to see it.) I'm sure it's a really worthwhile thing to do - an excellent learning tool. I hope you finally manage to get that storm door.

I've been doing more oil painting; here's a link to my latest: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446008 I replied to someone in the thread that I didn't think my work in pastels had made a difference, but as I thought of it more, I realized that all my work in the Weekly Pastel Sketch thread really has carried over to oils. It's been a terrific learning experience posting in that thread. :)

Pat Isaac
09-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi Julie, glad your anatomy class is going well.....I actually liked it when I had it...detail person that I am.
Annie the email problem is a WC problem and they have been trying to fix it for several weeks now and I really do hope they get it solved soon....It is sporadic across the whole site.
I am enjoying the fall weather.....days in the 80s with no humidity and nights in the 50s....perfect! The color won't be as good this year as we have had no rain in this area.
I am really getting excited now as 2 weeks from now we are going to Italy, Florence to be exact. We have been planning this for a year now and it is finally almost here. In all my years I have never been abroad and never thought I would, so this is the trip of a lifetime.
Lots to do before we go.
A reporter for a local paper called me today to talk about our artists group relocating and a photographer will be coming to the studio tomorrow to take pictures....I hope they come back to advertise our Open Studios.

Pat

LJW
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Julie, art class sounds like a lot of work, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Annie, looks like your oil painting is coming along well. Are you enjoying it? Do you miss OPs?

Pat, your trip sounds terrific. How long will you be away and is there anything I will need to do when you're gone?

Jane

Pat Isaac
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Yes, it will be great, Jane. I will be leaving on Tuesday the 9th, so putting up the Oil Gusher on the 15th would be great and just checking out the forum as you have been doing so well. Thank you. I will be back on the 20th. There is time before then so I will let you know.

Pat

AnnieA
09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Pat: Florence!!! What a wonderful trip that will be! You must be so excited! I hope you'll take lots of photos and share them with us! You're sure to get some great reference shots too! Oh, I'm just so excited for you, Pat! :clap:

Jane: I've never stopped doing OPs and I don't ever really plan to stop. I've been posting them primarily in the Weekly Pastel Sketch thread though, which perhaps you don't read. This is my latest OP sketch. It's my little friend, the feral cat, rolling around in the catnip I'd sprinkled in his bed. Ecstasy! :lol:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2007/85002-Mocha_DSCN6350.jpg
I appreciate your comment about the oil painting and I do enjoy it. :) I've learned so much since coming to WC, and especially from all of you here in the OP Forum (I realized I had mentioned only the sketch thread earlier). I'm hoping it shows in my work.

I guess it's about time I planned a larger piece and posted it in here...

wabbitt
09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Pat: Wow, have fun in Firenze...I don't know how they get "Florence" from "Firenze" but maybe you can find out. I hope you have time to get sketches of David...that's where he's at, isn't he? Unfortunately the US dollar isn't doing too well against the Euro. Leather clothing & shoes are the thing to buy there.

Thanks, Jane, I am enjoying it. Even the homework.

Annie: I'll see if I can get decent pictures, they're too big to fit in the scanner. I'll put them up in the Figures forum if I put them anywhere. You're doing great with those oil paints. I remember seeing beach shacks like that when I was a kid. I think Davey Jones (not the Monkee) claimed the last one in the late 80's. ;)

LJW
09-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Annie, what a great kitten sketch. Does the kitten come indoors now? I sometimes take a quick look at the sketches, but I don't always. I hope you'll post more in the OPs forum itself. We seem to have lost people to the sketch thread to some extent - Yusuke and Lacey, for example. I'd like to see them posting in the OP forum again too. Jane

AnnieA
09-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Julie: Please post a link when you get the sketches posted - I'd like to see them. Thanks for the comments on my oil painting. I'm doing a little better as it's beginning to feel normal to put the color on the surface with a brush, but wow, did it feel awkward at first! Wouldn't you love to have a shack like that - out on some deserted beach somewhere? It even apparently had a fireplace, judging from the stack on the roof. But I'm sure this one is gone now too. Ahh, progress. :sigh:

Jane: The "kitten" is at least 15 years old! :lol: He just gets playful when drunk on catnip. That age is pretty good for a feral cat, I'd say. He really is more wild than this painting suggests. He will hiss at me if I move too quickly and won't let anyone touch him, although our ritual is a quick sniff of my fingers before I feed him (that means "hello" in cat language) - it took a couple of years for him to trust me that much. So he never comes inside.

Things do seem a bit slow here in the OP forum, but I seem to remember that's what happened last fall too. I guess everyone gets busy returning to school, etc. I've got a larger (for me) OP painting half done, so I'll post it here probably in the next week or two. (I've actually got two OP paintings started, but I'm not certain one of them will ultimately work - if it does I'll post it too.) And I've been meaning to ask Yusuke for another WIP...

Pat Isaac
09-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Annie, I saw your kitty in the sketch thread, but haven't commented there for awhile, just lurking. It's hard when I don't get the emails, can't keep up. After Florence, I hope to get back into the swing of the sketch thread. I was doing great for awhile. I am now only up to sketch #14. Your kitty looks like he is enjoying himself and you have done a great job with the gesture.
Yes, David is in Florence, Firenze.....and I plan on taking tons of pictures and will keep a journal.

Pat

AnnieA
09-25-2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks very much for your comments about my kitty, Pat. It was a fun piece to do because such playfulness just seems so out of character for him. It really is much more enjoyable, too, to paint the things one cares about. I'm surprised you're only up to sketch #14. I've mentioned a couple of times lately how it's harder for the average OP painter to participate, at least within the strict limit of 60 minutes, because of the time it takes to build up the layers of color/value to make a sketch readable. The trick appears to be choosing relatively simple objects to sketch, and your own work may be well beyond simple works of that level. But still your comments are an important part of the thread. Will you be able to drop us a line (electronically) from Florence? I hope WC resolves that email problem very soon; I don't use them, but I've heard there are many who aren't getting the updates, and apparently it's affecting the responses in the threads.

Jane: Do you think Bob could be convinced to post more often? The few pieces I've seen of his have been well done and have generated interesting discussion. Julie, it would be nice to see some things in here from you too! (...although I do understand that it sounds like your hands are full right now with school and your mom.) And where's Lindsay these days?

LJW
09-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Annie, I wish Bob would post more too, both his own works and his comments. Maybe we could send him PM's to encourage him. His critiques are always very helpful, as are yours. I've really been missing your more regular participation. Earlier, Lindsay said she was busy getting her daughter organized to go back to school part time, and that she was doing some watercolours. I really miss her Chicago cityscapes - they were developing wonderfully. Ed (Fishfan) said he would be busy and travelling but would check in again after that. If you are reading this Ed, Bob, and Lindsay, check in and tell us what's up. And Yusuke and Lacey, lets see some of your work here. And Julie, if you have the time, we'd love to see some of your work. Angela is very busy at the moment with her renovations and her mother - we hope that once that gets done, she'll be posting her paintings again. Everybody, new participants and old, we want to see paintings! Jane

AnnieA
09-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Jane: I agree and encourage all those who have been mentioned (and anyone we've somehow overlooked!) to post more often. I just noticed MOH has posted a reply in another thread, and I'd also love to see more of his work too.

Pat Isaac
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree with all you have said and I know I have been absent and not posting much. I stopped doing any artwork at the end of June as the move was imminent and packing took place during July. It was hard to work with the developer tearing down everything around you, frantic time. August was taken up with moving and my daughter's surgery. It's true, Annie as of June I had completed 14 sketches and almost every month PS strokes plus other work. I was certainly on a roll and I will be back at it soon.
The glitch in the site has put a damper on many.
I would certainly like to see more posts from the people that you mention and their comments are invaluable. We learn so much from others, take some here and take some there.
I did finish another piece because of the demo situation and after our trip to Italy, I'll be a dynamo......:lol: yes, truly.

Pat

AnnieA
09-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Well, we all will welcome the return of the dynamo! :)

LJW
09-25-2007, 07:00 PM
How true. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Oh you guys are just too funny.....:lol: and guess what???? I actually got this email, so I think the system is getting repaired!!!! Yea!

Pat

LJW
09-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I sure hope so. Apparently this has affected new members trying to join!

I was thinking of who else hasn't posted in a while and I thought of Eclectix. I miss his fantasy creatures and his bonsai trees. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
That is true, Jane. I also haven't seen blu-ize posting for awhile though she has been around lately. Some are trying other media, but I'm sure they will be back.
I am so glad the system is back and functioning to full capacity. I felt I was in limbo for a couple of weeks.

Pat

AngelaF
09-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Hi, everyone.

Pat, I am happy to hear about your trip to Italy -- good for you!!! It does sound like a trip of a lifetime -- is Florence you only stop? What kind of place(s) are you staying in. Wow, sights, ART and FOOD are what I imagine to be so great.

Annie -- think your beach house painting in oils is great and am glad for all of the support you are getting in that forum. Love your OP kitty sketch. I think gaining proficiency in any medium does translate into other mediums.

Sorry, I am still busy as mentioned -- the house seems in more disarray than ever -- had measuring for floor yesterday -- should know by end of week the cost, probably will take 2 to 3 days and be done in about 2 weeks. I plan to do a bathroom and laundry room flooring myself before then. As Pat said awhile ago, after the flooring is done -- should be downhill after that. I think I am in the darkest before dawn part right now. No luck on address yet on first flooring guy -- the attorney general's office here said they would try to help last week -- now word yet.

Hope to be a regular art poster someday. Thanks for listening, Angela

Pat Isaac
09-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm sure you will be a regular poster soon, Angela. Not to worry as your art will always be with you. Glad to hear that the floor may be sone in the near future and that you may have help from the attorney general's office.
We will be flying into Rome, staying there overnight and then on to Florence. The Episcopal church in Florence has an apartment that they rent year round. We secured a time last fall for this year. The apartment has 3 large bedrooms, each with it's own bath, a living room, kitchen facilities, AC, cable, laundry facilities and it is in the center of Florence. We will spend 8 days here and take a few side trips, then back to Rome for 2 days and home. I am so looking forward to seeing the art in Florence.

Pat

LJW
09-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Angela, glad that some progress is being made on your new floor. Hope the attorney-general can catch up with the previous supplier. We're looking forward to the time when you can paint again.

Pat, that sounds like a fantastic arrangement in Florence. What a wonderful trip you have planned. Art, architecture, food, etc. all to be savoured. Jane

fishfan
10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi all. I'm just back from fishing trip to British Columbia. The fishing was great, but the catching was a little below expectations. I'll blame the weather and river conditions. Obviously it had nothing to do with the skill of the fishers. Oh yeah, the eating and wine drinking also went very well. Also, I don't recommend a Toyota Camry as an off-the-road vehicle, although it did remarkably well until I tore off the engine shield. So now I'm playing catch-up at work and getting ready for a visit from a daughter and a teaching trip to Boulder in less then two weeks. After that, I think I may be going to Oman in November. I have loads of new images from this summer and fall, but no time to settle in and paint. I guess it'll have to wait for a month or more. The other news is that I'm having giclee prints made of about eight older paintings. They're for gifts and as a trial for sales. I have one local gallery interested, but am exploring some other options. I'll take a look at WC now and then, but posting will probably be nil. Cheers, Ed.

LJW
10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Ed, thanks for this update. You don't suppose the eating and drinking affected the fishing, do you? Wow, you sure are going to be busy in the next while. It's great that you have a gallery interested in your work - let us know how the giclee sales go. You have some great cityscapes, as well as landscapes, that would make great prints. Drop in now and then to keep us posted. Jane

Pat Isaac
10-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Great to hear from you, Ed. Hmmmmm....I wonder about the eating and drinking too...Sorry about the car. You really are going to be busy the next few months, but di stop in now and then. Excellent news about the giclees and gallery representation.

Pat