PDA

View Full Version : Heads with Turbans and Scarves (x-posted in Drawing and Sketching Forum)

lneustadter
09-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Hi! I'm new to this forum ... and new to drawing from imagination.

This is an exercise from Keys to Drawing with Imagination by Bert Dodson. I first sketched a pair of crumpled jeans sitting on the floor. I looked at the sketch and saw a head wrapped in turban-like head gear. I re-drew the sketch, this time emphasizing the rolls on the imagined turban and scarves. I then made a mirror copy of the drawing. So this was first artwork from life and then became artwork from imagination. I used a light box and Adobe Photoshop Elements as aids when making the copies/mirror image. Micron Pen.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2007/41206-ForWetCanvas.jpg

DSPIT
09-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Hi Laurel, welcome to P/I. Interesting subject. the pen work looks very illustrative in style to me. Looks like it could be part of a logo or something.
Bob

MonicaB
09-24-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Laurel and welcome! :wave: Very glad you could join us and share this great piece with us. I don't work enough from imagination and really need to do exercises like this. . .

Jakeally
09-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Hi Lauren ... great to have you join us:D :wave:
I'm really impressed with your style. Very unusual and very effective. You conveyed the feel of the material very well. Very nice job:thumbsup:

kitaye
09-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't see the turbans but I do think the drawing is very well executed.

sassybird
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the pen and ink forum, Laurel. I saw the turbins right off:D I see things in everyday objects all the time. Just let your imagination keep running free!

valchina612
09-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Welcome to the Pen and Ink Forum Laurel. Your penwork is great, and I hope we see more from you very soon. :clap: :thumbsup:

Val. :wave:

lneustadter
09-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks to everyone for the comments and welcome.