PDA

View Full Version : Pumice, etc.

MarshaSavage
05-29-2002, 12:38 PM
Fellow pastellists:

I have been trying to find a source for pumice or marble dust to prepare my own sanded-type surface. I was told that hardware stores carried pumice (a brand name given me was "Rainbow") - but I have been told by the one in my area that they can no longer get it.

Do any of you have a source for this or something of its type? I would very much appreciate it. I took a workshop from Frank Federico and he had us using watercolor paper that had been prepared and I would like to keep trying it. I did buy something called "Slip-Free" made by Homax in the paint department of a hardware store. Their description is "a sand-type material, which when added to any floor paint provides a safer anti-skid surface. . . Slip-Free can also be mixed with various roll-on decorative textures to privide a light sandy effect." I plan to go to their web site to find out what the substance is - no indication is on the packaging about what it really is.

Thanks in advance for any directions.

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

Roan
05-29-2002, 04:35 PM
Marrrrrrrrrrrsha :)

Dick Blick has marble dust:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz089/26/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=4790

3.99 for 4lbs

I've no luck as yet locating "Rainbow" pumice.

Yahoo! has a large listing of manufacturers of "non-slip" flooring materials:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Business_to_Business/Construction/Finishes_and_Coverings/Flooring/Non_slip_Coatings/

Lemme know if you need anything else.

Noble
05-29-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by MarshaSavage
[snip]
I have been trying to find a source for pumice or marble dust to prepare my own sanded-type surface. I was told that hardware stores carried pumice (a brand name given me was "Rainbow") - but I have been told by the one in my area that they can no longer get it.

Do any of you have a source for this or something of its type? I
Why not just try the "acrylic ground for pastels"? I used this (along with some acrylic gesso and acrylic paint) to prepare masonite to accept pastel, here is an Example (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43891)

The resultant texture is like that of a *fine* grit sandpaper and works fairly well. I got mine at Pearl in the acrylic paint section. It hast the consistancy of a paste which you need to thin with about 40% water so it flows properly.

Rick R
05-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Golden makes a pumice gel, which you can probably get at Dick Blick or whatever. I've never used it, so I can't vouch for it. Not sure how that's different from their pastel ground either.

I bought my pumice from a woodcrafting supply store. It's amazingly cheap and around here at least they have a lot of fine grits to choose from. If you don't have one of those around you can probably find a woodcrafting supply place on the web.

- Rick

Andrew
05-30-2002, 10:54 AM
I can get various grades of pumice at the hardware stores and home improvement centers in my area. Marble dust is a "get it when available" deal around here. I have had good luck with sythetic paint texturizer. I can't think of the brand at the moment, but it comes in a cardboard carton (like milk) and in several grades (extra-fine - extra coarse). I add 2-3 tablespoons to a cup of gesso, thin a bit with water, and brush it on. If you keep it mixed it goes on quite even. At $3 a carton it goes a long way.

I like the acrylic pumice mediums, but they are a tad pricey and only available via mail order (for me anyway). I like to have easy access and to keep my expenses down.

Andrew

MarshaSavage
05-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Thanks guys --

Roan - I tried Dick Blick first - but it was a physical store and they had no idea what I was talking about. I have not looked in their catalog, I don't usually because they one of the more expensive catalogs. I will look though!

Andrew - what hardware stores and home improvement stores are in your area, so I can see if they are in Georgia. Ace Hardware in my town was where I went and they did not have it. If you remember the brand of synthetic paint texturizer in the milk carton, let me know.

Noble - Your example was wonderful - you are an excellent pastel artist. And - you are probably correct with regard to why not use the acrylic ground for pastels. Is this the Art Spectrum one? I'm sure I will probably find that getting the already mixed variety saves more time than trying to do my own and would be worth the extra cost (time saved is money). I'll check it out. I am just now looking around and wanting to pursue this new-for-me support idea. I have read many comments from artists that do produce their own support, but I have stuck with Wallis, Ersta etc.

Rick - I had not thought of woodcrafting supply stores. I'll have to see if there are any around my area.

Thanks again you guys.

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

TinaLee
05-30-2002, 04:27 PM
Marsha,

I found several sources for Golden Acrylic Ground for Pastels, Art Spectrum Colourfix Pastel Primer, and one so far for pumice:

The most comprehensive place so far is Dakota Art Pastels, at http://www.dakotapastels.com/pigsfix_pumice.shtml (www.dakotapastels.com/pigsfix_pumice.shtml) , although they seem to have the highest prices. Cheap Joe's, Dick Blick, Dakota, and Pearl also carry one or both acrylic grounds, and Pearl may also have pumice (I was there 2 weeks ago but they had run out).

Shirl
05-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Hi Marsha,

Utrecht has marble dust also. In fact, it's in the surface I prepared for the "Moluccan Cockatoos" thread, on masonite. I love it!!! However, the marble-gesso I used is from Frank Covino, already prepared--I must prepare the masonite tho.

Shirl

Noble
05-30-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by MarshaSavage
Noble - Your example was wonderful - you are an excellent pastel artist. And - you are probably correct with regard to why not use the acrylic ground for pastels. Is this the Art Spectrum one? I'm sure I will probably find that getting the already mixed variety saves more time than trying to do my own and would be worth the extra cost (time saved is money). I'll check it out. I am just now looking around and wanting to pursue this new-for-me support idea. I have read many comments from artists that do produce their own support, but I have stuck with Wallis, Ersta etc.

I believe it was the "Golden Acrylic Ground for Pastels". I will only use the masonite support on "large" pastels i.e. greater than the 19x25 Canson MiTintes paper I usually use. That example was just a test (16x20) as it was my first (and only) board drawing so far.

Andrew
06-04-2002, 10:09 AM
Andrew - what hardware stores and home improvement stores are in your area, so I can see if they are in Georgia. Ace Hardware in my town was where I went and they did not have it. If you remember the brand of synthetic paint texturizer in the milk carton, let me know.

The brand of texturizer I have been using is called Rolla-tex. There are several brands. There are even brands that crushed mica that I would think would work well. As far as hardware stores and DIY stores, I have ACE and True Value in my hometown, and have Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, etc within an hours drive. Not horribly convenient. I spoke with a local painter who has been experimenting with texture in his paintings. He has been getting sugar sand from the local quarry and mixing it in with his gesso. I looked at the surface and thought it would work quite well with pastels. He gets a few pounds for under a buck.

Andrew