PDA

View Full Version : What Can Happen if you Do a "Different Strokes" Project

C_Line
09-22-2007, 07:26 PM
A most unexpected, unbelievable thrill has occurred for me over the recent past. Remember when we did the "Daffodils" painting for the Different Strokes Project earlier in the year? Well, as it was posted on my flickr site and visible for anyone in the world to see, in June I got an email from the Art Director of a marketing agency in London who does ad campaigns for charitable organizations. She asked permission to use my "Daffodils" painting as the cover of a card to be part of a fundraising campaign for the Marie Curie Cancer Care Organization this Fall which is being mailed to 70,000 homes in the UK!

I'm sure our WC friends from the UK may receive this little yellow mailing like the one I received in the mail today. The Marie Curie Cancer Care provides free hospice care for persons with terminal cancer. These nurses are amazing. Take a look at what they do: http://www.mariecurie.org.uk/whatwedo/

After doing some research, and that my husband was born and grew up in England, it was an easy decision. There are two separate mailings; one includes the greeting card and requests that you write a sentence or two in the card and those cards will be passed out to patients and displayed in hospices for everyone who visits them to read. Very special.

Finally, we decided to donate the original painting to the Marie Curie Cancer Care Organization to use to raise funds. It is my hope that it will help in some small way.

I'm sure that no experience will ever match this one with regards to my art. I think through our art we have the opportunity to bring joy to others.

Here's the painting...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2007/94054-Daffodils_Small.jpg

swampborn
09-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Celeste:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
What an honor for you. Congratulations! The painting is beautiful and what a wonderful way for it to be used.
Gail

Paulafv
09-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Congratulations, Celeste. Your art is not only seen here by probably 50,000+ people who browse the site, now by mail to 70,000 more. A good deed to add to the fun and a charitable contribution for a worthy cause. That warrants a double congratulations.

gaykir
09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
That's a beautiful story.......and I can see why your bright yellow bouquet of daffodils caught someone's fancy! What a great cause too. Thanks so much for sharing.:thumbsup:

NDee
09-22-2007, 09:22 PM
What a wonderful story! Congratulations! I can see why someone was attracted to this too. It's so cheerful and very well done too!

amaze_1101
09-22-2007, 09:24 PM
This is where the God given gift of talent is used in it's purest form. You have been truely blessed Celeste and this only happens when one is open in mind and heart, where generosity of spirit is shinning through with everything thing you do. I believe there will be more to come for you from this. Way to go girl! :thumbsup:

:clap:

rmc
09-22-2007, 09:54 PM
wonderful Celeste - the generosity of your spirit shines through..... I'm sure this card will lighten up a dark hour for many people and bring them hope and joy!!!
You are very special and it is awesome that you can give to so many through your wonderful talent!

dreamz
09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
thats 2 cool! and a well deserved honor :clap:

Linee
09-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Hooray for you, and for the cause!!!! It's a wonderful piece of art.

Jeff Rage
09-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Congrats!

C_Line
09-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm very touched by your kind thoughts.

idcrisis55
09-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Coming in late but wanted to say what an honor and well deserved plus being for a most excellent cause. I am so excited for you! :D

timelady
09-23-2007, 05:11 AM
That's wonderful! And Marie Curie is such a fantastic organisation so I'm glad you're working with them. For those who don't know daffodils are their little 'logo' type of thing. :)

Congrats!
Tina.

Beautiful_Butterflies_Studio
09-23-2007, 06:39 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well deserved!!!!!!!

Andun
09-23-2007, 07:26 AM
What fantastic luck Celeste!!!:) I am very happy that you opened your heart to them and that lots of good comes from it for the so many needy!!

C_Line
09-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks all...thanks for mentioning that Tina - I forgot to add that tidbit. Here in the states they sell bunches of Daffodils to raise funds for Cancer Research too.

jan409
09-23-2007, 01:06 PM
This is wonderful, congrats. I am happy for you and am proud. Jan

edtree
09-23-2007, 01:56 PM
What an honor! Congratulations, Celeste!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's a beautiful painting! How did I miss THAT! :lol:

Elizabeth

eyepaint
09-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Congratulations! What a warm fuzzy feeling you must have :)

Selahs art
09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Congratulations...
and good work

Retha

*Violet*
09-23-2007, 06:11 PM
how wonderful!! ... hats off to ya!! ... very deserved .....

NaomiThePainter
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
How wonderful Celeste. You must be proud.

I hope your painting will do a lot of good.

C_Line
09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone, me too.

LavenderFrost
09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
That's a wonderful use for your artwork.

C_Line
09-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Thank you. Update: I just received a letter from Marie Curie Cancer Care today to inform me how they're going to use the original painting to raise funds. In July 2008, M.C.C.C. hosts a Private View of the Summer Exhibition held at The Royal Academy's Summer Exhibition, the largest open contemporary art exhibition in the world! (http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/summer-exhibition). They hold an art auction during the event and my painting will be sold at auction at their event. This year they raised enough money to pay for free nursing care for more than 18,000 people with terminal cancer in the UK. They hope to exceed that next summer. This is all quite surreal to me, I get goosebumps just thinking about it.