PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Color Guard

twillard
09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Most of my pieces tend toward the "western" genre, so I was pumped about this forum coming about.

This is a watercolor on Arches #140 HP. Both of my brothers are members of the Kansas National Guard Mounted Color Guard. All members are soldiers that volunteer their spare time and mounts to this unit. They participate in ceremonies, parades, community education as well as compete with other Calvary units across the US. Their particular unit represents the Indian Wars period. I hope to do a whole series of these soldiers.

Not particulary pleased with this piece, but thought I would post anyway. This is one of my brothers and his horse Rowdy. The background was experimental and I won't be repeating that in the future! Plus hope to learn to work a little looser ....

Thanks for looking - Traci

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2007/21583-rowdyweb.jpg

objectivistartist
09-22-2007, 01:44 PM
love the detail and intensity of this - like Remmington come back to the 21st century...;) :thumbsup: and while ye might not like the background, it is still a good one, keeping the distance yet grounding the subject...

Diane Cutter
09-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Traci... What a lovely piece. I love the movement, nothing static. I like the background. It's a nice foil to all the detail with horse and rider. A more detailed background would dilute all that wonderful detail...

Diane

twillard
09-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the comments Robert & Diane.

Enchanted
09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Your handling of the subject shows a very accomplished watercolorist. And I agree about the lack of necessity for a recognizable background. This is, after all, a portrait of man and horse.

I have to tell you, when I read the subject of the thread I thought about the Queen's horse guards in England!
:clap:

DesertDarlene
09-22-2007, 07:41 PM
I really like this piece. I feel the background really fits and looks great.

birdhs
09-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Stunning, personal and tells us that there is a story here. As mentioned, the choice of backround is pleasing also to me, especially the way the blue ties the jacket to the desert dust swirling around, reminds me of rodeo scenes, horse ...man ...dust ...occasionally fence or a clown ...you have agreat sense of style and composition...thanks for posting this... it pleaseth thine eyes

twillard
09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Thank you all for your kind comments - I guess the background wasn't as bad as I thought... :)

Trilby
09-25-2007, 12:47 AM
What's not to be pleased with here. It's a wonderfully evocative piece. I always admire this kind of realism in wc and the back ground could not be more appropriate for this piece.
TJ

sassybird
09-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow! The detail in this is great. I love the folds of the clothes. You did an excellent job on the whole piece. Welcome to the forum:)

Playm
09-26-2007, 01:07 PM
That is just so cool! I can almost *hear* their soft foot/hoof falls as they walk along.
What an enjoyable image! Thanks for sharing that!

Elain
10-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Wonderful. Excellent drawing skills and I too like the background.

karenelkan
10-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Beautiful! I love your colors and the two both look like they will walk off the page!

judithdagostino
10-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Great detail! You sure have a handle on what I think is a very difficult medium.
Judith

Jo Castillo
10-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Traci, this is excellent. Love the colors and background. Great piece.

Welcome to the forum.

Jo