PDA

View Full Version : celtic stationery

vinesqueen
09-22-2007, 01:01 AM
I've been doing a lot of practice of Tess' tutorials, as well as working with a couple of different books on celtic knot design. This is one of my (hopefully) better efforts. Since I really live the borders so much, I thought that I would design some stationery. C&C always appricated! This looks a little odd because of the angle I took the picture. I had a recent computer melt-down, and am still having issues with my scanner. It really is square in real life. I used standard printer paper, since that's the typical size for writing, and Pitt brush pens

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2007/104934-celtic_stationary1.jpg

mudslinger
09-22-2007, 12:10 PM
nice! the only thing i would do differently is maybe extend the black background past the loops so to make a nice straight-edged border. but that's just me...as long as you like it, time to write a letter! :D

TessDB
09-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Oh, Very Nicely done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree with Lenny-- I like a straight edge. *Or* you could consider making the inner edge of the green curvy all over the place. Or you could add some stippling... maybe in the same color of ink you plan to use for the lettering. Or ... Right. I'll stop now. The possibilities from here are endless. :D

Glad the tutorials were helpful! Which books did you get? I'm always interested to see which ones that are out there are more appealing to folks...

Hope you'll share more with us!

Tess

vinesqueen
10-19-2007, 12:20 AM
ya'll are great!

I went back and extended the black by adding more area around the loops, it just felt "right." I'll try to post a pix of the fixed design tomorrow

The knotwork books I've been using are "Celtic Design and Ornament for Calligraphers" by Jack Mackinder, "Celtic Knots" by Aidan Meehan" and the FARP (Fantasy Art Resource Project) Celtic knot tutoial http://www.elfwood.com/farp/theart/nooyknots/nooyknots.html by Meike de Nooy