PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy needs assistance

lyn lynch
09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Yesterday I was looking at the painting of this guy that I did a month or so ago, I called it "dude". Anyway, it bore really no resemblence to the reference, plus I realize that I am stopping at the sketch stage in nearly all my pieces. I came to this realization because of the help ya'll gave me in the Studio plus looking at the wonderful watercolors others are showing on the site.

Anyway, I decided on a redo of this fellow. Started last night and, as usual, I am rushing it. I'm using Cad Red and Aerolin on his face with some touches of Cerulean. I haven't any mask and couldn't figure out how to do the white 'stache without it so I made his hair brown.

Unfortunately, the folds in his shirt are too light as to show. What do I do next?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2007/16729-Cowboy.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2007/16729-Cowboy_1_CROP.jpg

olliewood0702
09-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Fookie, I've waited to see if someone would respond before me so that I could cop out and say what they said ;) because HONESTLY I don't know how to help you. I'm not great at portraits and so I cannot say what it needs. Sorry. I feel this looks done to me so I guess we will wait and see what some others have to say. I feel like you got the likeness down very well. You just made him younger by darkening his hair though. I really LOVE how you did his hat!

painterbear
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Fookie,
You are a master of the lost and found edges! Wish I could think to do that when I am putting my paints down on the page. I love the way his hat fades into the highlight areas, yet I can still see a faint outline of the edges.

I think your background is terrific too although you seem to stop the darks over his shoulders before you got near his face. Maybe be a little braver and go a tad closer?

Like Darla, I am not a portrait painter and I always love the ones you do. You and Atlee seem to capture the characters of people so well in your work.

Will check back to see what others suggest who do paint portraits.

Sylvia

CharM
09-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Well... I do LOVE to paint portraits, but my approach isn't even remotely close to yours...

You have captured his gentle sense of humour... the expression says it all... along with his eyes...

Normally, I don't like to see hard edges for folds of skin or wrinkles... but yours are just soft enough to keep them from being harsh. His skin is ruddier in your reference, suggesting that he spends a great deal of time out in the weather...

I see absolutely no need to further define his shirt... you already have captured the important bits...

Ok... so, having listed my observations, as I see it, there's precious little left to do... I feel that you might consider ruddying his skin a little more... that's it...

And this is your best work since you've returned to portraits... it's exciting!

lyn lynch
09-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Well, OK, here's what I did today. I'm not happy with my choice of b/g, makes the whole too dark, but there it is. His glasses look really crooked, don't think they are, but now I have to check.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2007/16729-Cowboy2.jpg

mmcaloon
09-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I can't offer any suggestions either just love watching as this evolved

artmom
09-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Fookie-Lyn, I just love your portraits!

I think he's finished.

The Other Lyn

hpthecat
09-21-2007, 03:42 PM
The early version and the final darker version are bouth satisfying, although the darker has more drama :). I don't think the eyeglasses are crooked, just the lense on the left side appears slightly larger than the lense on the right side...funny though, it was less noticable in the lighter version. This is a beautiful painting regardless, you are very talented!!

Gilberte
09-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Looks very good to me Fookie wouldn't change a thing or maybe ... very carefully lift some paint in the sunglasses here and there to show they're glass ???

jan409
09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
It looks great. Jan

CWood
09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I don't do portraits either. I'm afraid to try I think. You can do them quite well and I pick up a sence of what he's like. I played with it using others ideas though it turned out great anyway. I liked the background and hat of the first one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2007/111782-16729-Cowboy_1_CROP.jpg

Blame Doug for me starting this. He got me to try this program.:lol:

Carl

jaytee
09-21-2007, 10:57 PM
Fookie....... what Char said ;)

This is pure 'essence of fookie' and its wonderful to see it :heart:

juneto
09-21-2007, 11:35 PM
It 's Wonderful !!
Leave it alone , frame it !
For God's sake ,paint some more!! What are you lagging for ,with stuff like this in your hand and brain .
Sorry to give you Hell , but I don't know why you are not putting Painting, before Anything else .
June:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CharM
09-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Fookie, when June is right (and she's always right), she's so RIGHT!!!

He's finished... he's fantastic... he's *Fookie*...

Move on...

I love your work.

RTi
09-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Fookie, I disagree with others about being done, I do agree you've almost got it! His nose has a definite roundness and the laugh lines are deep. You might not want to go back in but I think you should do at least more red on his neck. Underneath the hat needs alot more shadow close to his face. Leave the soft edge but darken closer to his face:)

Marge Wms
09-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi, Fookie! First time I've seen your paintings! I like this one a lot! His sense of humor and good nature shines through nicely, I think. I could almost write a story about him. To me, anyway, that's one thing that makes for an interesting painting. I've only done one portrait and that was in watercolor.

Maybe I'll try some more! You've inspired me to try! Marge

lyn lynch
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
Marge, GOOD, we need more portrait painters--we do inspire each other.

RTi, this one is done, just not well done. He's slated for yet another redo, I think he's too comical--cartoon like. And perhaps cartoon-like IS how I want to paint, but I need more practice to determine that.

June, you're the best!! THE best...some years ago you showed a house and lawn and I still think about how well done it was.

Everyone, thank you for cheering me on with this guy. I've just begun painting after 4 years and without your help and encouragement I don't know if I would continue. It's tough being ill, so I'm so appreciative of you.

pix
09-24-2007, 02:19 PM
hi fookie,
to me he is perfect.
Only thing is you lost the whiteness on his hair, the reflection on his glasses. i think the whiteness in his hair is very important.

leverettfinn
09-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Fookie....I think everyone is a bit hesitant to give you any advice because your work is so....you!
And we love your style...If it were cleaned up or tightened up or finished more...I'd worry it would lose the magic of your gift. Just keep putting brush to paper....We'll cheer.:clap:

Lauren