PDA

View Full Version : Photo Shop

purplepansey
09-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I have an old version of Adobe Photo Shop on my old computer, and I have tons of pictures on cd's that only it will open. I don't have Adobe Photo Shop my current computer. I've tried every program to open some of these pictures but haven't been able to do it. Help:( :evil:

If this isn't the site to ask this question please steer me in the right direction.
Thanks much.

chaz
09-19-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm suprised. What file extensions were these images saved as and what version were you using? Many programs will open PSD and PDF files as a matter of course. Some will require you to state what file extensions you wish the program to open. PSP wil open them if you tell it to accept these file extenions.

An other free program Irfanview will also let you open PDF and PSD files, Google "Irfanview: to get a free download. Thee are a bunch of other file extensions associated with Photoshop that I do not know if other programs will accept. I'm sure other Photoshop gurus will jump on this question in a heartbeat and solve your problem. But, they might need to know what files extension you have there.

Good luck

Chuck

purplepansey
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Chuck thanks for your reply, I do have INFRANVIEW and did try it to open them but couldn't not. I didn't pay attention to the file ext. but will now and see if I can work it out.
I think they are PDD files and when I try to open with other programs like Infranview, it says Photoshop 3 required to open it.

wrangler
09-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Long (years)ago I learned that 'secret' from a fellow designer of NORINCO (now with J-XX stealth fighter project Shenyang ShěnyŠng 沈阳 aircraft corp.Div.Mukden in Manchu dialect) in Changchun Manchuria (Manchu Guo)N.E. of P.R. of China :If it's possible try to convert your files to JPG or JPEG most Computer Grafic programs'll open that type of version (or extension).

justjean
09-20-2007, 06:20 PM
:If it's possible try to convert your files to JPG or JPEG most Computer Grafic programs'll open that type of version (or extension).

rather than open in jpg ( which deteriorates the image) try saving as tiff or psd then try to open in your graphics program

Smokin
09-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Or, you can get a trial version of a newer version of photoshop that usually stays active for 30days. Run a batch process or manualy save the files so that the PDD/PSD is saved in its newer format or a new file format alltogether.

wrangler
09-21-2007, 08:02 PM
rather than open in jpg ( which deteriorates the image) try saving as tiff or psd then try to open in your graphics program
That is a better idea then mine,there's always need to continue learning,thanks!.

purplepansey
09-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Or, you can get a trial version of a newer version of photoshop that usually stays active for 30days. Run a batch process or manualy save the files so that the PDD/PSD is saved in its newer format or a new file format alltogether.

I took your advice and downloaded a fee version but it would not open my files.
What I did was to open them in my old computer and saved them in a different format and then could open in my current computer. It will be so time consuming as I have so many files. :crying:
Thanks one and all for advice.

Smokin
09-23-2007, 01:18 PM
Sorry to hear that :( . I dont know exactly when automation or batch processes were introduced to PS, but if you see an option under File/Automation, then its available for you. Itll save a huge amound of time to automate the process, so if it is, let me know and illl be happy to do a lil step by step for you.

Yorky
09-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Paintshop Pro will open photoshop .psd files. So will Photoshop Elements, the cut down version of Photoshop.

Doug

purplepansey
09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Doug, these files have the ext. PDD. and the only way I can open them is with the older version of Adobe photodeluxe on my other computer.

edart
09-23-2007, 06:50 PM
This program will convert those pdd files, it's freeware and available for mac, windows 3.1 to vista:

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

Hope that helps?

purplepansey
09-24-2007, 10:34 AM
This program will convert those pdd files, it's freeware and available for mac, windows 3.1 to vista:

http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

Hope that helps?

Thanks so much, I downloaded it and even v 4 of Infranview and NOTHING opens these pdd files. It does seem rather strange that looking at a lot of file extentions in these programs, PDD ext is never listed. :evil:
Thanks one and all for trying to help.