PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Real bad.

kaleidoscopic mind
09-19-2007, 03:04 AM
I have been painting for many years and most of my work has been done on Masonite, or small thick edge canvas.
but I have a commissioned work that requires me to do it on canvas and it needs to be about 4 foot by 5 foot. My problem is that i do not no which brand is good and what weight etc...
I can't stretch my own because I'm flat out busy. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1100ww
09-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Not sure what to tell you, since I always stretch my own. But I would imagine anything you'd buy at a reasonably reputable store would be fine. You'll be able to tell if it's flimsy or not, in the store.

You might try posting this question in the oil painting forum; there was a thread about canvases a while back. Maybe even try Studio Tips/Framing, they'd probably have some opinions on canvas in that forum, too. Good luck; I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you end up using.

idylbrush
09-19-2007, 08:11 AM
You may want to check with your local art supply and see if they even have something that size. I know that locally I can have them stretch a canvas for me for a fee, usually a handsome fee. If you were to check google for canvas weights it seems that muralists prefer a #12 (11.5 ounce) canvas and that may be a good weight for this size as well. Lighter canvases may be to saggy for the size you are contemplating.

Just a few observations and thoughts.

kaleidoscopic mind
09-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks heaps, I'm that stressed that I didnt even think to get my local to stretch one up for me. will do that thanks.

Paulafv
09-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Might want to have them reinforce the back with strapping or small boards, but they should know to do it, I'd think. Good luck on your project. Relax and plan, plan, plan (as in make lots of sketches before you begin so you can bomb right ahead once you start).

timelady
09-19-2007, 11:19 AM
If you're used to working on solid surfaces you might find the 'give' of canvas a bit bothersome. If so you can just 'stretch' the canvas directly onto a wall - I've done this at your sort of size. You can buy either a roll or primed canvas by the metre (or yard). Then I just use a staplegun and stretch as I usually work directly onto the wall, making sure you have extra canvas of course so there's something to wrap around the stretchers later. Then when you're finished either the client can stretch it (if you're sending it by post for example, this is more easily done in a large tube) or your local framer/canvas supplier could stretch it after the fact. With acrylics there's no too much worry about the stretching and restretching usually. You might want to just double check the bits that stretch over the bars afterwards to make sure you don't need to touch up any bits.

Best of luck with the commission! :)
Tina.

kaleidoscopic mind
09-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks heaps for all your help and Ideas, I'm going to go for the stapling it to the wall idea. because I'm used to had surfaces it will be a lot more familiar.