PDA

View Full Version : Irish Fireplace--1st attempt at stippling

susnfx
09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
I really wanted to give this a try and would like some C&C, please. I can see problems with this now...I think the junction of the wall and floor should have been pushed back (higher). As it is, the kettle looks like it may even be touching the wall. I think the iron thingy holding the kettle should be darker. Even though it blends into the wall in the reference photo, I think it needs more definition.

But basically I'd like to know if I'm on the right track. My dots seem messy, some perfect little dots and some sort of sloppy-looking dots--should they be more uniform? I think the difference in dots may have been when my hand was tired or I was hurrying too fast. In stippling, do you place each dot slowly dot--dot--dot or quickly dot-dot-dot as I was doing? (I think some that look like short dashes are actually two or more dots right next to each other.)

At any rate, I'd like some feedback on this first attempt. Thanks! Susan
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/102089-100_1838.jpg

Ranger Dan
09-19-2007, 01:37 AM
I think it looks nice. A little more mid-range values in the kettle, perhaps. The iron thingy looks fine to me.

--should they be more uniform?
They should be whatever works for you. If you stick with stippling, then it will come to you. You already know and see what you like/dislike and that will help tremendously. Consider each piece a practice piece (I still do) and take some risks at least at first in the drawing. If it works, great! go with it, if not, well you learned and start over before too much time is vested.

As for the kettle looking too close to the wall, I think it is the shadow. The dark shadow and clean lines implies a closeness. you may be able to fix it by difusing the shadows a bit. (widen them, but lighter as you go away from the shapes. The other thing with the shadows is the wood under the kettle should cast some shadow to the left rear on the floor.

DBSullivan
09-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi Susan, welcome to the forum! This is a great first attempt! Good for you! :thumbsup: Dan gave you some good advice. I completely agree with the shadow issue. Also, a little trick we sometimes use is to scan and print out the drawing (or a portion of it), and experiment on the printout. That way you can play around without ruining your original. I use this method quite frequently to experiment with different textures or techniques to find out what works best on a particular drawing... it's not fun to start over with 80 hours into a drawing. ;)

Jakeally
09-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Hi Susan:D :wave: A big welcome to the forum
I think this is so good for your first attempt.
I have the dotty problem too. Sometimes I am very precise and other times I am like a maniac ... it depends on what mood I'm in I think.
Each method has it's own charm and it really doesn't matter which method you choose. You will find your own style as you go along:thumbsup:
Just have fun and I hope we see a lot more drawings from you.

susnfx
09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the comments, suggestions, and positive feedback. I see what you mean about the shadows--and I definitely just overlooked the shadows cast by the turf blocks (in the reference photo this is set in a sort of "living museum" and there are lots of fireplace accessories next to and in front of the kettle and peat, so I had to use my imagination about what it would look like if they were all gone--I missed the peat shadow!).

And after all that...I brought the piece into work today to show to a colleague who paints and is always interested in this stuff. Somehow I think I managed to touch it against my frozen lunch and--voile!--big ink streak right across the top of the picture where it got wet. Oh well, it was just a practice piece, right?

Susan

MonicaB
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Susan, this is great for a first stipple attempt! But I'm very sorry to hear about your ink streak. That will give you a sinking feeling in the stomach!

As to your question on evenness of dots, I seemed to get more even as I did more (practice, practice!). You do build up some different muscles -- if I haven't stippled for a while, then do a long session, I actually get sore muscles. And if I get tired, I get more uneven too.