PDA

View Full Version : Firefighters

barrykeller
09-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Nupastels on Canson, 19 x 13. Not your typical pastel subject. C & C appreciated.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/115519-contemplation_med.JPG

M Douglas
09-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Not typical but wonderfully done. The figures are very well done. I love this.

Melodie

Gail V
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Love this - it tells quite a story

Paula Ford
09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Not typical but wonderfully done. The figures are very well done. I love this.

Melodie

I agree! Great work here.

Paula

Tressa
09-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Someone else did a fireman on here last year, sorry, can't remember who, and it was wonderful. Barry, I love it, and I love using non traditional subject matter.. I like the poses, the one guy looking up, and the other turned toward toward his buddy..smoke is very well done..great piece.
I would maybe look at the flames in the left corner, they seem a little stiff and in a row..maybe soften, and move oit of line a smidge..but that is a small nit..
Tres

CJMonty
09-18-2007, 09:26 PM
It was Diana Ponting, infact I think it was *SweetBabyJ's* husband that she painted. It too was amazing.

Look forward to seeing some more " not so typical Pastel paintings".

Take Care
Carolynn :) :heart:

water girl
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
This really is a fantastic painting. May we see more soon???

bruce johnson
09-18-2007, 11:32 PM
Excellent job Barry... wonderful use of light..

Mary Brigid
09-19-2007, 06:27 AM
wonderful work Barry
Mary Brigid

CindyW
09-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Barry, the smoke behind them looks great with the paper texture showing.
Very nice!
Cindy

Tressa
09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
It was Diana Ponting, infact I think it was *SweetBabyJ's* husband that she painted. It too was amazing.

Look forward to seeing some more " not so typical Pastel paintings".

Take Care
Carolynn :) :heart:

That's RIGHT!!! It was Diana!! Thanks CJ!!
Tres

Diana_pastels
09-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Barry, this is a wonderful subject. God bless these men who perform this job! Your treatment of the subject is terrific. Great work!

bnoonan
09-19-2007, 11:47 AM
What a beauty! keep on painting and sharing them with us. I like the composition - it's really effective and captures a story in such simple placement.

Barb

Kitty69
09-19-2007, 02:06 PM
I agree it's not a typical subject, but it is fascinating! Beautiful painting.

Kitty

barrykeller
09-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Melodie, Paula, Carolynn, Karen, Mary, Diana and Kitty, thank you all for the kind words. I liked being able to cut loose on the heavy jackets and be very free with my strokes, then tightening up on all of the equipment they have strapped to their bodies, just a dozen different textures of metal, plastic, rubber, chrome, etc.

Gail and Barb, yeah, I liked the story aspect of the piece. I call it "Contemplation" and I like that you don't see what the main figure is looking at. You can only imagine what he is seeing and what he is thinking and what is his buddy thinking as he watches him.

Cindy, the smoke was a lot of fun. I toyed with doing a hard rub and getting a softer background, but ended up liking what the texture of the paper did with the smoke effect.

Bruce, thanks. I may have gone too bright on some of the jacket colors, but I like to push the colors a bit in pastels.

Tres, thanks for the kind words. Yes, the fire doesn't work as well as I would have hoped. I toyed with showing no fire at all, then decided against that. Something doesn't feel right either about how the fire and the smoke blend together, but I'm not sure how to correct it.

Tressa
09-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Barry, maybe try using a very soft pastel, gently scumbling a bit of trailers in a zig zaggy pattern forward from the main flames..I know what I would do, but is hard to explain in words..and possibly pull two of the flames together with small scumbles at the bottom, so they don't look so seperated...all in all is a fantastic painting.
Tres

Tressa
09-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Thought it might be easier to show you.. I scumbled this onto a sheet of drawing paper rather quickly, butmaybe you get the idea..this is about 4 colors of Great American, a red ,two oranges, and a warm yellow(sorta like new gamboge) and a bright yellow as final highlight. Hope this helps..again, wonderful painting.. Tres
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2007/76189-PICT0001-1.JPG

barrykeller
09-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Tres, I will give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

pgunders
09-21-2007, 08:14 PM
wonderful. you captured the sense of proportion: while for firefigherrs are significant in the composition you captured our smallness in the face of such fury....

HarvestMoon
09-22-2007, 01:34 PM
this is simply amazing- it is a fantastic painting of some true heros...

RooGal
09-22-2007, 05:13 PM
This is a terrific piece Barry. I love the detail of the firemen, did you use pencils for that? Well done!

barrykeller
09-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Phyllis, yeah, I was quite pleased with how much story there is in just the placement of the figures and where each figure is looking.

Linda, thanks. That's how I feel about it too. If I don't end up selling this one I am thinking about giving it to my brother who worked as a fireman and paramedic for almost 20 years.

Pam, I used pencils only for details on the hands and faces and for a bit of the paint on the air tanks.

ponting
10-21-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi Barry. I just discovered this wonderful painting and wanted to take a moment to tell you how much I admire it. Great pose and great application!!

Cheers, Dianna :clap: :clap: :clap:

gourdburner
10-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Excellent! Not typical, but beautifully done! I like this a lot.

Colorix
10-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Barry, it is a very fine painting. Any subject suits pastels, I think. So, this isn't a landscape with water, or a cute dog, nor a flower... but it is one heck of a good pastel painting.

Admittedly, I didn't notice the flames first. Now, I'd like to see them a wee bit more luminous. Tressas demo is great, I'd only would want some yellows as an underpainting for the flames to make the reds glow more. Also, from watching fires, some oranges and yellows would reflect on the smoke, and there'd be sparks -- but, as the painting is now, it is about the firemen. Messing with smoke and fire too much would make it about the fire, and my guess is that it really *is* about the firemen. So my advice is to go lightly on changing the bg elements.

Charlie

george c martins
10-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Barry

not typicall? welcome to the gruop of pastles none typicalls....the fascinating think about art and creativity, is bthat it's freely open to our hearts, eyes and emotions....and and boiling'em together comes the painting....well that is what work with me....

love the piece...the smoke, wow...

just one thing (but please, its just a simple comment or information) its more like a practical or reality thing....it's about the yellowish reflector strips on their cloths...from what I see, the light is ahead of them (can see that by their folds) so the yellowish strips on the front side (I think it) should be more brighter than left side....I've notice this in pratical life (I sometimes use one)....

regards

PainterMike
10-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Barry, this is a fantastic piece! Very well paintined and showing drama and lots of feeling....
Mike

Nicoclaus
10-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Barry, very nice, well done, yeah makes you wonder what he's looking at

Dorice
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Barry, this is really awesome ... the contrasts, the smoke against the sky, really makes it feel like night, uncertain.