PDA

View Full Version : Grouse in Autumn Fog

Bill_E
09-18-2007, 12:03 PM
After a few dud paintings that will never see the light of day again and slugging away at a stalled larger work, I tackled this one over the last few days. The title is more descriptive than anything. This is painted more from childhood memories than any particular reference, although I used a ref pic for the Grouse.

The photo lost the subtle transition into the mist, so it isn't as harsh an edge as it may appear. C&C invited.

11x14 Acrylic on hardboard panel
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/103224-Grouse_in_Autumn_Fog_wc.jpg

LavenderFrost
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I can almost smell the poplar. Except for the fog, it reminds me of many walks I have taken. I think I would like to see a bit more contrast in the foreground, though.

Lady Carol
09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Bill. I agree with Michelle. I would expect more contrast in the foreground as you would be able to see it better than the distance. You little bird seems to be kind of lost too amongst the colour and a little more contrast on him would work better too.

Very nice concept. I think fog is very difficult to paint.

Bill_E
09-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Carol and Michelle, thanks for commenting.

I had a little more contrast and then put on a 'final' glaze to unify the painting a little more. I wanted to keep that 'high key' feel, but unfortunately I had just a wee bit too much color in the glaze and the painting lost some of its dynamic :eek: I could have called the thread "a glaze too far" :rolleyes: I did touch it up a little, but I agree, it needs greater value contrast in the foreground.

As far as the "little bird", it is actually the size of a small chicken :D I wanted it lost in the mist. I think if I make the colours and value contrasts more intense in the foreground it will push the bird back and make more sense visually. Thoughts?

As little side comment. Way back in my childhood I was walking down a road like this with my family and I heard for the first time a Grouse, splitting the eerie autumn silence of the forest with its drumming. If you have ever heard it you'll know what I mean when I say that I almost jumped out of my boots. :lol:

jan409
09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Good job. I like it a lot. Jan

Bill_E
09-18-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks Jan.

I did work it a little more and took a better photo (although I got a color shift between my Adobe display of the photo and the one shown in the WC uploader--arggg).

The revised version...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/103224-Grouse_in_Autumn_Fog_r1_wc3.jpg

Andun
09-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Where are my sunglasses??:) That sure is a bright painting you got there Bill!!!

Bill_E
09-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Where are my sunglasses??:) That sure is a bright painting you got there Bill!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

My paintings lately have leaned toward the darker, moody scenes. I decided that I needed to do some that were a little brighter. I guess I succeeded. :D

All that said, the actually painting is a little more subdued in real life...honest :)

LavenderFrost
09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I would have put some darker shadows, but that's just me. But this works too as a more monochromatic look.

I have heard partridge beating their wings in the woods, perhaps that is the same sound you mention. As a kid, I didn't know what the heck that was, lol.

Bill_E
09-19-2007, 02:39 PM
I would have put some darker shadows, but that's just me. But this works too as a more monochromatic look.Compositionally I agree. I may do another painting like this and introduce some other element to build the contrast on, perhaps a fence line. What I wanted to do here was to capture the bright diffused almost shadowless light of low fog with the sun illuminating it brightly. It works a little better in real life than in the photo. (As much as I like my camera I am very unsatisfied with the way it captures a painting :( ).

I have heard partridge beating their wings in the woods, perhaps that is the same sound you mention. As a kid, I didn't know what the heck that was, lol.We may be speaking of the same bird. Some times a grouse is referred to as a partridge, but a partridge is actually a different critter. Both are chicken like, but unlike the partridge, the grouse (ruffled grouse in the painting) has a crown and does the wing beating thing. The partridge is not native, rather it was introduced to North America in the late 1800s. By the way, I didn't know all of this until I looked it up on the Web just a couple of minutes ago :D