PDA

View Full Version : CHALLENGE:- Painting with two colours.

laudesan
09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
PAINTING WITH TWO COLOURS

Now this IS a challenge..

What do we do?

Easy………..

First of all, paint a Shades Chart with your favourite colours and pick only two of them to make a painting..

A shades chart is a chart using the shades/colours you have in your paint box and painted horizontally and vertically on a piece of watercolour paper to show you what colours they become when painted together.. (A shades chart is a handy chart to have and one made from all your colours would be a great project too when you can’t think of something to paint..)

Pick your favourite colours, I have chosen 10 colours myself.

On your watercolour paper,(in my case it is arches 140lb cp), draw with your ruler lines to correspond with the number of colours you have chosen.
Draw your lines vertically on your page ¾ of an inch apart, and then draw the same amount of lines horizontally ¾ of an inch apart. .

You paint your colours onto your paper vertically first and label each one at the top of each colour. LET DRY COMPLETELY. I used a flat bush to paint my strips. I painted every other strip and let dry, then painted the ones in-between. That way there is no bleeding of colours..

Now when they have thoroughly dried, paint those same colours in the same order horizontally across the page.. You can label them again if you wish.. Again let dry thoroughly.

Your Chart should look something like this, depending on the colours you chose..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/22284-Shades_Chart_001.jpg

Study your shades chart to see which two colours you would like to use, which two you think you will get the most colours and values from. You wont get many, but then that is the challenge..:).. Now paint your painting. Reference pics below or choose your own.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/22284-Wynnum_Manly_029.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/22284-KK_Lisa_Alan_JJ_220.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/22284-Man_in_park_.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/22284-KK_Lisa_Alan_JJ_061.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2007/22284-Wynnum_Manly_047.jpg
These reference pics are my own and I am quite happy for you to paint them..:)

Post your painting here when you have finished and tell us why you chose those 2 colours and how you felt about painting with them..

HAVE FUN..:)

JJ

rgb
09-23-2007, 02:20 AM
Where is everyone? No takers for this challenge?

I have a watercolor pad loaded with grids of colors and mixtures on the front and back of each page. Please, let me skip that part.

After looking at the photographs, I think the man in the park is worth a try with Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna. I've used these colors together before, but never to cover such a range.

Below is the start of my painting. Already the colors are too light, so I will probably destroy it while trying for richer colors. The fault is mine, not the colors used.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2007/100978-2colors_Man_in_park_01.jpg

Am I moving in the right direction?

On a side note, I pulled out some 30-year-old, previously used graphite paper to put the image on my watercolor paper. As I recall, I didn't like the graphite paper before, and 30 years has not improved it. I'll buy a new package because putting graphite on the back of a drawing is boring, though I'm always satisfied with the results. I sketch directly on watercolor paper whenever possible.

laudesan
09-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Hi Jenny, lovely to see you give this challenge a go..:)

I love Ultra Blue and Burnt Sienna it is an exciting colour combination.. If you are having troubles with your values, try making a values chart for yourself, and greyscaling the ref pic.

You can make your own graphite paper..

Just get a piece of baling paper the size you want and rub graphite all over it. Make sure it is thoroughly covered.. Could take a while but it is worth it. When you have covered the baking paper with the graphite, get a couple of cotton wool balls and rubbing alcohol. Gently rub the alcohol all over the paper and let dry.. I will smell for a couple of days or so, but the smell will go away and you have a perfectly acceptable piece of graphite tracing paper that will NOT smear when you use it..:)

Looking forward to your next update..

:) JJ

dfolson12
09-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Hi JJ: I have tried this with tracing paper and then scotchtaped the edges, but what is baling paper. Perhaps it is more sturdy than tracing paper and would last longer.

Dot

dfolson12
09-23-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi JJ: I have tried this with tracing paper and scotchtaped the edges, but perhaps baling paper would be more sturdy. What is baling paper?

Thanks Dot

rgb
09-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I think "baling" paper is a typo and that she meant "baking" paper which I think is the same as parchment paper.

I have trouble getting the cake mix box open, so I never bake. The kitchen is the room where I keep my ice cubes.

Thanks, JJ. I'll try that. The graphite paper acted as I remembered: too much pressure needed at times, and it doesn't erase worth a darn. It was okay for my previous use but not for watercolor.

If I put graphite on the back of my inked, tracing-paper-artwork lines, I tend to tightly trace the lines since they are difficult to see. I could "re-draw" using the graphite paper, but the lines won't erase. I want to draw as I go. I'm too tight as it is.

I understand the values. It's controlling the brush/paint/water/paper with which I have a problem. Thank goodness for happy accidents!

Again, thanks.

stlkicn
09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
good suggestion on the tracing paper, although i don't trace, I tend to redraw some drawings, instead i could be tracing and saving time...:wave:

:wink2:

might try this when i feel better JJ

h

Yoolie
09-23-2007, 02:57 PM
I only just found this challenge. Thought it was an older one from the time of the monochrome and primary colour challenges. I would like to try it, if I find the time. May I do a colour chart that shows more mixing steps for each two colours?

BTW JJ, maybe you should post a heads-up to the Learning Zone or Palette talk to say that these challenges are not in the Learnuíng Zone anymore but in the Studio.

--
julia

rgb
09-23-2007, 03:56 PM
I almost missed this one too, and ditto on letting everyone know about moving the challenges.

My palette was used to show the mixing steps for my two colors in that I have different mixtures sitting around with more of the two colors waiting to be dragged together. Palette = white ceramic plate.

I'm all for tracing something like this since my purpose is to work with the colors, not to work on my drawing skills. Also, if a do-over is needed, the tracing is so much faster than redrawing. Personal, "creative adjustments" can always be made in the master tracing.

pjartwc
09-24-2007, 07:27 AM
Also just saw this and would like to try it.

Marge Wms
09-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Count me IN!!!! I do want to accept this challenge! But is it open ended as the monochromatic challenge was? I'm very busy this week and can't start anything new until a little later! Also, can we choose our own subject as before? I tend to enjoy making my own choices.

Thanks so much for the tip on how to do a values chart. Do you include white and black with the two colors? One of my first paintings (in acrylic) used only burnt umber, black and white and I loved doing that! I was amazed at what could be created with such a limited pallet!

Have used the store bought graphite paper and it does smudge a lot, so I'll try your method! I have some parchment paper. I bet you could use the velum paper too. I have two rolls of it from when I was sewing a lot and making my own paterns!

Later.... Marge

mgiedd
09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
:wave: Hi Marge

Ok I think I've decided to try the landscape for this one. Here's my chart.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2007/108152-2_Color.jpg

rgb
09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice to see there are so many takers for this Challenge. I was awfully lonely for a few minutes.

laudesan
09-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Gremlins..:(

laudesan
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Hi JJ: I have tried this with tracing paper and scotchtaped the edges, but perhaps baling paper would be more sturdy. What is baling paper?

Thanks DotOh good grief..:D BaKing paper..:o The kind your put on your cookie sheet, then put your cookies and to bake them..:)

Jenny with my home made paper I have no trouble erasing my sketch if I so wished, and I never have smudges where I have pressed my hand on the paper....

Heidi my thoughts are with you my friend, I hope you feel better soon and can have fun with this challenge..

Julia I hope you have time to do this Challenge.. Sure paint a mixing chart showing your shades for you two chosen colours. Do post it for us to see..

Jan jump aboard, the more the merrier..

Marge glad to have you with us, and yes there is no time limit.. By values chart do you mean the Shades Chart? Do you mean mixing your two colours to their deepest value and making a chart down to 1 from that? You could do that, it would be a valuable tool for you do see just what values you can get from those two colours. I am thinking of using purple and quin Gold. I will mix those colours into varying strengths and make a shades chart and see what I get. I will also use those two colours on their own .
Choose your own ref if you want, mine are just suggestions in case you can't think of anything..
If you have paper you think would work for tracing paper, do a small test sheet first and if it is successful make a bigger one.

Marcia so good to see you and boy are you quick. Looking forward to seeing your landscape..

I have posted a thread in the Palette Talk Forum letting everyone know that the Challenges have been moved by a Mod to the Studio

JJ

mimitabby
09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
count me in too. This is just great. But I won't even be able to start before Friday. (well, maybe I can start...)
I didn't see this when it started. I have no idea where it was hiding.

mmcaloon
09-24-2007, 03:16 PM
The shades chart as depicted above is really a good chart to show what you get when glazing one color with another.

Glazing is when one transparent color is painting over another (dry) color. I specified dry becuase the instructuions were to let things dry in every other row and then again when continuing. If it was wet into wet you would really be mixing on the paper and not glazing. The shades chart is made letting the bottom color dry hence the glazing.

It should also be noted that if you have an opaque color it really only has value here when on the bottom. On the top you would be covering the bottom color.

If on the other hand your purpose is to show the variety you can achieve with mixing two colors. Try this.

Mix two colors (both wet either on the palette or on the paper) in these ratios

Color A 100%
Color B 0%

Color A 75%
Color B 25%

Color A 50%
Color B 50%

Color A 25%
Color B 75%

Color A 0%
Color B 100%

From this mixing you will get five distinct colors. As you can see there is a multitude of possibilities from the right two colors. Be careful when picking your colors when you mix two primaries you will get clean colors more and mud appears.

Have fun

rgb
09-24-2007, 07:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2007/100978-2colors_Man_in_park_02.jpg

This is as far as I dare go. The grey at the top and to the left is light fall-off, not paint, though the rest of the image is fairly true. Yeah, I put it on a table under a lamp. The colors are closer than in a scan.

Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Deep were the two colors chosen because I knew they would give me colors close to the original photo, and I picked the photo because I thought I could do it with two colors ... just didn't pay attention to the fact that there's a beard with which to contend. Duh!

Mixing the two colors to get the shades needed was fairly easy, though not always as accurate as planned, but I have problems with water/paint ratios and water/brush ratios. It will eventually be easier.

Fabriano Aristico paper, MaimeriBlu watercolors, 5"x7".

wtrclrgrl
09-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Jenny, i think your piece came out great and looks so fresh!! Great Job!!
I might give a go as well if I can make the time.

rgb
09-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Connie, thanks so much! Do give it a try. It was fun.

In working with only two colors, I didn't worry about "what if" I had more colors, just what I could do with two.

mgiedd
09-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Are all the challenges being moved? or just this one? :D
Depending on what all goes on today I may get started on mine. :wave:
Jenny you did a very good job.

mimitabby
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
you have to be a determined student to "follow" this thread, it moved after disappearing.

I did the grid and made a mess. I thought the stripes were dry, but color bled through.
I am going to do it again just because it came out so awful. I was so proud of myself for walking away to let it dry...

rgb
09-25-2007, 11:43 AM
They moved all the challenges, so the first part of the challenge is to find the challenge! *lol*

Thanks, Marcia! The more the merrier.

Mimi, I'm proud of you too. One must walk away to let it dry. Watching this paint dry leads to fiddling which is against the law, and the watercolor police will find you!

mimitabby
09-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Okay, i made a much nicer chart by not trying to paint with full intensity.
And I made a first run at one of the paintings. I ulsed French U.B. and Quin Burnt Sienna. I think i'll try again with Indigo and reg. burnt sienna. C & C
please, thank you. (I just couldn't get the yellow in the sky here with the Quin B.S. )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2007/73379-twotone.jpg

rgb
09-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Mimi, you've done a lovely, interesting painting with two colors, and it's similar to the original photo. Nicely done!

My only suggestion would be to move the base of the tree on the left to a point lower in the image in your next try. I think it's a nearby tree relative to the rest of the scene.

mimitabby
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
thanks Jenny. The good news is that in a week, I will have a new computer with a larger monitor. That will help me SEE those reference photos!
and I will definitely try to do this one again.

rgb
09-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Mimi, for reference images I take them into Photoshop (almost any image program will do) and resize them to a 300 resolution and a size that I can print, usually four to seven inches wide. Sometimes I change the image to grayscale and heighten the contrast in order to see some of the details.

My paints are downstairs, my computer is upstairs, and my memory is clouded by old age, so using the monitor for reference would cause way too much exercise from running up and down the stairs.

My printouts do not have to be perfect ... just enough for shapes and relative colors.

mimitabby
09-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Jenny, I have printed out several ref. photos. But i cannot bear to do it. It's a waste of ink and paper, in my opinion. and my paint station is next to my computer in my tiny office.

laudesan
09-26-2007, 08:05 PM
I apologise for not popping in sooner, I have house guests, as this week is the Wet Canvas Brisbane Meet..:)

Jenny your painting is awesome, you really did well..

Mimi I really do like your painting heaps. The reflections in the water are great..

Yes you make your shades chart by Glazing like Mike advises in his wonderful post!!! Keep your paint mix thin and you will make a lovely chart.

The chart is good learning, and is one you should try will all your colours sometime. :)

Jenny my computer is in my office upstairs too and my studio down so I do just as you do, I print out my ref pic on an A4 sheep of paper and take it down to the studio and paint from that.

Yes ALL the Challenges have been moved to the Studio by one of the Mods,.

JJ

rgb
09-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks, JJ, I really appreciate your compliment.

I've made the parchment-baking-paper/graphite tracing sheet you suggested. Finally! A use for my 40-year-old, 6B pencil! I'm drawing a master right now, so the tracing sheet will soon be used.

mgiedd
09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Good one Mimi! This is fun and using only 2 colors really takes a lot of the pressure off. I finished mine an hour ago and really liked it before it dried. :)
We'll see how it looks on here. I was going for looooose.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2007/108152-2_Color_Challenge.jpg

mimitabby
09-27-2007, 11:45 PM
ooo, Marcia, COOL COLORS! (what colors are they?)

wtrclrgrl
09-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Nice job Marcia and Mimi. Both are great!!

mgiedd
09-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks ya'll. I used WN neutral tint and DS quin gold.
9x12 Strathmore 140# CP

rgb
09-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Marcia, those colors are excellent together. I did mine with a #8 brush on 5"x7", and it's still not loose. Love your freedom!

pjartwc
09-28-2007, 03:02 PM
What a fun project this rooster was. I used Winsor Blue and Brown Madder. I used a quarter sheet (11x15) Lanaaquarelle paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2007/116333-Rooster__1190916137_65.27.188.195.jpg

mmcaloon
09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Jan I really like this. Nice use of the color and great example of contrasts.

mimitabby
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Great job on that rooster!
I hope I'll have a little time to paint tonight

rgb
09-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Jan, your rooster is magnificent. Love the way your handled your colors.

eagleorr
09-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I love all the variation!
I hope I didn't fiddle with this one too much.
This is diox purple and gamboge on Arches paper
I'm having trouble getting my image upload to transfer to my post.
dru

mimitabby
09-28-2007, 06:30 PM
aw. keep trying. we want to see it.

eagleorr
09-28-2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2007/109289-2_color_challenge.jpg

Yay!
Here it is
dru

rgb
09-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Yay, Dru! Congrats on the fantastic uploading! *lol*

Love the color combination and the way you handled the scene elements.

mimitabby
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I tried it again. First I tried Indigo and Burnt Sienna, and it was awful. SO I went back to the French U.B. and Burnt Sienna. I also made it larger, 8x12 or so, on the backside of a piece of Arches 140lb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2007/73379-tutone.jpg

rgb
09-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Nice one, Mimi. Your water always looks like water! Not fair! And, both of your skies are nice. Were the scans done differently? The colors seem richer in the first one, yet I know scans are not true. Anyway, I really like this one.

mimitabby
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
aha. The first one was done with Quinacridone Burnt Sienna. the second one used plain old fashioned Burnt Sienna. THAT is the difference. I figured it out before i started but i still wanted to see how much i could get out of reg. Burnt Sienna. so if you want more vibrant, use that Quin!

rgb
09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
I see it in the blue also, but that could be because of mixing. You are the one with the originals, and that's what counts.

The photo of mine shows much more contrast in colors than in real life, especially in the face, but the scan wasn't usable. The photo is close enough.

laudesan
09-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Mimi I congratulate you on trying again.. Your last painting is just wonderful. Love those reflections in the water..

Marcia i just love your painting. I took that ref pick late one afternoon at Wynnum Waterfront. We had been for a walk and I was just getting into the car to go home when i looked behind me and saw that scene. Grabbed the camera real quick and just caught it before the sky changed again..:) It is also one of my fav' pics..:)

Dru your colour choice are one of my favs'':) You did good g/f..:)

Jan your rooster is just perfect..:) Thanks for joining in the fun!!

I saw that rooster at the Sunday Markets in South Bank and just had to take a pic, I knew he would come in useful one day!! I am going to paint him too when i find the time.
I am so busy right now, I have 6 paintings to paint in 5 weeks :eek: I love the Challenge..;)

I am so pleased to see you are all having so much fun here..

:wave:

mgiedd
09-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Thank you JJ. I tried to repaint it today with DS irid topaz and UM and I only made a mess. Then I tried using some turp just to see what happened. LOL
So then I sprayed it off! :) I would think the turp residue might still be there. I may try again on the same paper just to see what other kind of mess I can make. giggle....!!!

Jan I love the rooster.
Dru, so glad you could join us.
Mimi...do you have Fr UM and regular UM? If you, or anyone else does...could you please do a strip and show me the diff?

I would love to exp with my indigo and I've looked high and low for it. Can't find it anywhere.

mimitabby
09-30-2007, 07:08 PM
JJ, thanks for this exercise. It gave me the inspiration to paint "Il Vecchio Catanese" that I just put up in the gallery. He's almost 2 colors too. i used tiny accents of red and yellow to add to the picture.

thanks!

jcbarb
10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
I have tried and tried to upload a photo and have had no success - the only message I get is that the file didn't come through and to try again later - I have tried again and again. What am I doing wrong? Is it because HTML is off - and if that is the case, how do I turn it on.
Thanks - I would appreciate any help anyone could give me!
jcbarb

rgb
10-02-2007, 07:41 PM
JC, there are gremlins in the server today, and a number of people have been unable to upload images. The problem has been reported, but I don't think they've located the glitch.

Looking forward to your upload ... hopefully by tomorrow.

jcbarb
10-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks Jenny,
I will try again tomorrow. This is a first try for me as I am a new member - so I am not certain if I am doing everything correctly. Thanks for your answer.
Barb

rgb
10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Barb, for my first image upload, I mistakenly tried to uploaded my Photoshop file instead of my web-friendly JPG file. After ages of trying, the uploader finally informed me of my error ... and I will swear on a stack of floppies that a new window flashed open with unkind remarks about my IQ and personality!

The uploader is actually easy and fast to use when working correctly. The size requirement is maximum 500 pixels wide by 600 pixels deep.

painterbear
10-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks Jenny,
I will try again tomorrow. This is a first try for me as I am a new member - so I am not certain if I am doing everything correctly. Thanks for your answer.
Barb

Barb,
Check out the link for Newbies in my signature line. Doug has written an easy to follow explanation on using the Uploader. (Yesterday it wasn't working correctly here at Wet Canvas, you may have run into that problem and it wasn't your fault it didn't work. :rolleyes:)

Sylvia

jcbarb
10-03-2007, 04:08 PM
Well - I have tried every suggested way to upload my picture and always get the message that upload failed. I am totally puzzled.
Help!

Barb

RogerPf
10-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Well - I have tried every suggested way to upload my picture and always get the message that upload failed. I am totally puzzled.
Help!Hi Barb
You are in good company, :) the WetCanvas uploader is currently broken. :( Should be fixed soon ....

jcbarb
10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
I have kept trying to insert my image into my message and all I get is an image name and numbers. I can see my image, but when I click on it to insert it into the message, only the text comes through. What am I doing wrong?
Barb

jcbarb
10-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Well, I can see that a thumnail came through - that is encouraging! I am making progress.
Barb

jcbarb
10-05-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2007/110464-A_Portrait_of_Pattys_Cabbage_2.jpg My entry into this challenge of two colors used quidacridone red violet and antwerp blue. The painting is 11" x 15" and was done on watercolor canvas.
Barb

wtrclrgrl
10-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Beautiful Barb!!! Nice work on making the two colors look like many!!

mgiedd
10-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Geez Louise....Barb that is gorgeous! :clap:

jcbarb
10-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks Connie and Marcia for your kind remarks. This was my first posting - finally figured it all out and it is all so exciting!

Barb

rgb
10-06-2007, 01:11 AM
Barb, that's absolutely beautiful. Great subject and use of two colors!

laudesan
10-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Barb it was well worth the wait..:)

Your painting is absolutely gorgoeus.. :clap: :clap:

Can you tell me what you learnt from this Challenge??

Cheers JJ

jcbarb
10-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I found that it is extremely important what 2 colors are selected in order to achieve the wide range of values I like in my paintings. I like intense color and strong value differences and find that the colors manufactured from chemicals - like the quinacridones - answer my needs. It is also important that you start with nice, intense colors if you are only using 2 colors. The 2 colors I selected are very intense to begin with and the antwerp blue is a very good mixing color of blue. I think this would also apply to monochromatic painting, which I haven't done since college. By the way, I call this painting "A Portrait of Patty's Cabbage."
Thanks for this very interesting project! I couldn't put it down - painted almost steadily for 2 days.
Barb

pjartwc
10-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Beautiful! I can see a lot of work went into this. Nice range of values.

laudesan
10-07-2007, 05:26 AM
I think this would also apply to monochromatic painting, which I haven't done since college. Barb, thanks for your input.

Why don't you try the Monochrome Challenge, just click on the link in my signature line. :)

Have fun..

Cheers JJ

Selahs art
10-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I did the old man with 2 colours Ultramarine blue and Cadmuim red.

It didnt want to upload and we also had very bad thunderstorms continuesly here.

Old man

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/94287-DSCF2909.JPG

Retha:wave:

jcbarb
10-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Retha,
Your old man is absolutely beautiful and I love the colors you selected.:clap:
Your shadows in the face and beard are handled very well and conveys so much feeling.
What a great job!
Barb

Selahs art
10-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Barb.

Thanks.

Retha

jcbarb
10-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Retha,
I lost a computer during a thunderstorm, so I unplug everything during storms. We live in Ohio and we have some "monster" storms!
I love your paintings - have admired them for some time.
Barb

Selahs art
10-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Barb
We also unplug them thats why I was online very little, today seems to be fine although I still keep my one eye on the clouds etc.
Something about some abnormal thing similar to el ninjo but with the opposite effect a lot of rain... and we do have some bad storms usually in summer...

Thanks for liking my paintings.
Retha

rgb
10-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Retha, beautifully done. The beard is fantastic.

Selahs art
10-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Jenny

thanks

updated version as it really is light on white paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2007/94287-94287-DSCF29091.jpg

Retha

ReesArt
10-08-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi everyone :wave:
WOW! There are some beautiful paintings in this challenge...well done guys :thumbsup::clap::clap::clap:

There's my contribution...
This is my practice painting but I was very happy with it so I thought I would share it...it's very small though, maybe I'll do a bigger version later...;)

Arches 140lb cp 4x6 postcard...colours used BS and UB M Grahams paints
C&C very welcome...:)

Thanks JJ for this challenge...another winner, hey!...:wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/100133-JJ2colourchallengeoct07.jpg

rgb
10-08-2007, 06:35 AM
Wow! You managed everything beautifully with your two colors and even enhanced the scene.

pjartwc
10-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Beautiful! You did wonders with your two colors.

laudesan
10-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Retha your old man is awesome..:) I love what you have done here.. :clap: Great colour combo!

Ree wow. Love this painting. You got such a lot of variation from your two colours well done.

I am so pleased you are all enjoying this Challenge and learning from it and being inspired..:).. :clap:

We have just had a big thunderstorm here, and we lost power for nearly 2 hours.. I was painting too poop..:D

Cheers JJ

ReesArt
10-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks Jenny, Jan and JJ for your lovely comments...:)

I really had fun doing this challenge...painting with two colours is a great exercise in learning values, tones and shades. :thumbsup:
I may even try another ref pic!!:eek::D

Oh! BTW I forgot to post my shades Chart before so here it is...oops...:( it looks dirty and fuzzy on screen but IRL it's nice and clean...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2007/100133-shadeschart.jpg

mgiedd
10-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Retha I love the attitude of your little old man.
Ree you did a very good job as usual :) Just the thought of trying to draw the boats had me running!

ReesArt
10-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks so much Marcia...had me running initially too :lol: but I persisted and stuck it out and got there in the end :p...just keep practicing you'll get there, eventually...;)

Selahs art
10-10-2007, 01:05 AM
Ree

Wow that is very nice.

Retha

ReesArt
10-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Thanks so very much Retha, you comment are very much appreciated ;)
Love your old man, the colours are gorgeous, and you've captured his spirit beautifully...:thumbsup::clap::clap:

Selahs art
10-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Thanks, now for the monotone, trust me to do it the other way around.

Retha

ReesArt
10-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Am looking forward to your mono in the Monochrome Challenge.
Just been looking around your website, you have beautiful paintings there!
"Innocent Love" is my favourite, it's gorgeous, love the light, well done, Retha!!!;)

Selahs art
10-15-2007, 05:32 AM
ReesArt

Thanks...

Retha

laudesan
10-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Retha look forward to seeing you in the Monochrome Challenge. Have fun!! :)

Ree good for you painting your chart.:clap:

Cheers JJ

Marge Wms
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Here is the chart I tried to do.. but still don't think I've got it right! Oh well, it was a learning experience. I'm also posting reference for my painting, the chart of colors and ideas for effects. AND the beginning of my "Autumn Scene" too.

So here goes! First the chart:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2007/93967-7_color_chart_first_one.jpg

For some reason I couldn't get the reference to post, I'll try again later..

But here's the chart of the two colors I selected: Burnt Sienna and Indigo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2007/93967-Value_n_Secial_effects_Chart.jpg

And here's where I am with it now. I have a way to go on this, but I think I can get there! I am feeling like I may have to give up and use some yellow for some of the leaves! :crying: :crying:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2007/93967-Autumn_scene_00002.JPG

I won't have any more time for it today.. so later, y'all!

Help!!!!! I'll take all the help I can get........

Marge

mimitabby
10-17-2007, 08:51 PM
oh, no, you don't need any yellow! this is just great (and believable) the way it is!

Marge Wms
10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
thanx, mimi! It isn't quite finsihed yet, but that's all for today! I won't add any other color until and unless it does NOT come out to my satisfaction!

I'm not pleased with it just yet.. Marge

laudesan
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Marge your charts are great!!!

Your painting is looking really really good you know, and all you need to do for those leaves is add some darks and they will look pretty awesome..

You can do this, you can pull off a really beautiful panting with these two colours!!

Cheers JJ

Marge Wms
10-18-2007, 06:52 AM
Those are very kind words from you, JJ! Thanx!!

I've been working on darkening some areas this morning and will probably finish this up today or tomorrow.... depending how my time goes. Dental appointments for us both today! YUK..

I think I would like a limited pallet, but maybe not quite THIS limited!:D :D

Looking at my chart, I think I'll go with it except to nix the burnt sienna, which can be done other ways. It was fun making the two color chart! :smug: See ya later.. Marge

Marge Wms
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm satisfied with this one now! Here's my painting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2007/93967-Autumn_Challenge__Final__00000.JPG

The mat on this is actually almost an indigo blue! NOT black, as it appears here.

C & C welcome... as always!

Marge "Gigi" Williams