PDA

View Full Version : sketching and waiting

troublemaker
09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
So last night I started sketching out a painting in chalk like I heart doing and I stopped for like a half hour because I was figuring on going to bed so I wanted to just wind down. But, instead of leaving the picture behind, it was in a spot that I could look at it and the reference picture at a glance.
And at the end of the half hour I'd been able to spot a lot of the problems I was having, so I went back to it for another 10-15 minutes.

I'm just curious if other folks do this kind of thing. Leave it out where they can see it for awhile and go back after a certain amount of time. Do you do that with your sketch? or after you've begun painting? or both?

phobden
09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes. I do that often in all stages, but more in painting stages. When you are not painting you look at it with different eyes. It helps a lot not only to see errors, but to decide where you're going.

LavenderFrost
09-17-2007, 01:21 PM
I do that too, at different stages, though mostly at the end. Also, when I have something on my easel, I can't help looking at it every once in a while. I guess I need to keep reassuring myself that it's going ok. And I still get this feeling, like I can't believe I did that, when it is going well, lol.

jan409
09-17-2007, 01:31 PM
I do this on a regular basis. Jan

Bill_E
09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
All the time. I use a light weight travel easel most of the time (my studio is also my study and library...did I mention that it is a small room?). I frequently take my easel into the living room when I'm done painting or just taking a break. I can walk down a hallway and see it from over 30ft away or just let is sit in the corner where I see it while watching a little TV or reading. As the light changes different things show up or fade out. Some times I will hang the painting on a wall and let it sit a few months. This is particularly helpful when I know something isn't quite right with a 'finished' painting, but I can't see what needs to be done.

cardboardcutout
09-17-2007, 03:13 PM
I like to do that also...I call it looking with a fresh eye...also if I am pressed for time I look at my work in a mirror...it changes it and helps me see it fresh and then I end up making changes for the better. I do this alot of the time.
Laura

dreamz
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
YES, thats one of the reasons I buy one package of leads and 3 of erasers

chammi kaiser
09-18-2007, 03:34 AM
I turn my painting towards a large mirror and have a look at the reflection a few hours later. Helps me to spot any problems at each stage of painting.