PDA

View Full Version : ???Acrylics taken seriously.......

ikre8t
05-28-2002, 11:30 AM
Just wondering...........do you feel the Acrylic medium on canvas is taken seriously by the artworld, galleries, competitions and the like. Or......as seriously? And , why........

Thanks, would really like to hear your views, and experiences.

Oil smells........!!!! But I DO admire the outcome, constantly comparing...

Chao,
Lori

paintergirl
05-28-2002, 11:51 AM
Acrylics are still relatively new but I think the art world is finally starting to recognize them. They allow so much flexibility in style and are showing such promise for endurance archivally.

(...I continue to be amazed at how so many art stores don't keep their acrylic section well stocked , it really is becoming a popular medium.)

Some pretty big names in art have made the transition into acrylics in recent years ...There are such a range of styles out there. They have the ability to mimic oils, watercolors, they are so flexible! Even in doing "watercolors" I am now using fluid acrylics, the color saturation is fantastic.

You just can't beat the vibrance of their pigment! :D

terrygar
05-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Oil based paints and systems can be a health problem and turps and oils even odor masked are not as big in the market place as before. People have taken to acrylics because one can paint anywhere in the home with no odor problems and everything cleans right up.

I love the action of acrylics.