PDA

View Full Version : Guitar in Clouds

tonyjazz
09-16-2007, 06:29 PM
16 x 20 gwc. Do you find this surreal? Your impressions are welcome.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/103497-100_2175.jpg

gaykir
09-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I LOVE this! I think you should have called it High Flying Guitar! Superb clouds....

dreamz
09-16-2007, 08:34 PM
very surreal but also very cool! great job on the geetar:thumbsup:

metalhead
09-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Very well done.

I have only one tiny, microscopic, nearly invisible nitpick.

A normal person would likely never notice this.

I think the bridge of the guitar is too far from the soundhole. That was my initial impression, and looking at a couple of my guitars, both of them (one a Taylor 6 string, 1 a Taylor 12 string) have the bridge a bit closer to the sound hole. The distance between where the body meets the neck, and the edge of the soundhole is very slightly greater than, but almost equal to the distance between the edge of the soundhold and the closest edge of the bridge. Now, you could move the sound hole around on the guitar, but the relation between the bridge, the frets, etc, is mathematically fixed.

So anyway, being a guitar player (amateur) and being around guitars a lot, stuff like that kind of sticks out. I've complained before about other people's renditions of musical instruments (I think it was cellos last time), so it may be that I'm just wired weird, and excessively super-tuned in to the proportions of musical instruments. You should probably just ignore me. :)

Also possible you just have a bit of a weird guitar as a model.

At least you didn't put the soundhole in the middle of the guitar body.... drives me crazy when people do that, LOL. :D

tonyjazz
09-16-2007, 11:41 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2007/103497-Guitar_tr.jpg Gaykir: Thanx for the comments. Hi Flying Guitar Hmmm I like that. I forgot to say that this is still a WIP. Not finished yet but had to stop and take ten steps back to see how I can make this better or worse!

Dreamz: Thanx Doc! Still looking for that something extra to jazz this up.

Metalhead: Thanx for your comments. The guitar is done to scale. Exactly as it is. It's my special axe I use on gigs, well, one of them anyway. I wanted to get that one as real as possible. I'll post the reference pic I took so you can see it. It came from Costa Rica and is a nylon stringed guitar. Now if you had said the 7th fret was off scale you would be right! It's a bit tilted! But the rest is right on.......thanx anyway.....TJ....:)

jan409
09-16-2007, 11:45 PM
very good. I like it. Jan

metalhead
09-17-2007, 01:08 AM
Metalhead: Thanx for your comments. The guitar is done to scale. Exactly as it is. It's my special axe I use on gigs, well, one of them anyway.

Well, I see by your photo, you got it right, so, shows what I know, -- not so much -- LOL. I should have known, as well as every other part of your painting was done, that that part was right, and well done too. Interesting! Learn something new every day. Thanks. Now I'm going to be looking at guitars all the time, examining their proportions, the position of the soundhole relative to the bridge and where the body meets the neck... I had figured they were pretty well standardized... guess not... or at least nylon string classical guitars differ in this regard from the steel string guitars I'm more used to. Good to know. Thanks.

NaomiThePainter
09-17-2007, 01:19 AM
This is a cool piece.

And the clouds are nice and fluffy. I like it very much.

Lulu
09-17-2007, 01:50 AM
I really like this Tony, have come back to it several times.
I know this is a wip so just wondering if the cloud edges are a wee bit sharp?

Very surreal, great painting already!

idcrisis55
09-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Way to go Tony, like the surreal look of the guitar flying in the clouds.

LJC7757
09-17-2007, 08:22 AM
As usual wonderful work Tony!

Lori

tonyjazz
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2007/103497-100_2177.jpg Next stage of this WIP:

chammi kaiser
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
I really enjoyed this. It is so imaginative . The clouds are great. At last a bit of competition for all those harps!!!!

DominicM
09-18-2007, 03:31 AM
excellent - looking good m8

LavenderFrost
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
With the first one, I thought the poor thing had fallen out of a plane. Now, if the plane was going the other way, I would think I was right, lol.

Wonderful work on everything.

tonyjazz
09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Well, I got the surreal effect I was after. Finished!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2007/103497-100_2205.jpg

gaykir
09-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Tony, You know I love this one - I must say however I think it was better before the clouds overtook the bottom of the guitar! I prefered the free floating feel to this new reating on the clouds - grounded feel. Let the guitar float.
Gayle