PDA

View Full Version : Morning Glory

knippes
09-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi everyone,
This will be my first post in this forum.:wave: I've been hanging out in the pastel forum for a week or so now. This is my first pastel flower. My art has started as photography and has now branched out into soft pastels too. This painting is from a photo that I took around 4 years ago. It is soft pastel, on colourfix paper around 9x12. I believe the flower was a common Heavenly Blue Morning Glory. C&C is appreciated.
--Kym
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/112518-Morning_Glory.jpg

C_Line
09-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Good progression in mediums! Very nice texture in the petals too.

gaykir
09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Nice look of almost satin.

Charlie's Mum
09-16-2007, 12:11 PM
You seem to have some very good textural work here.
I'd like to see the flower 'grounded' instead of floating, but that's just MO!

Please do keep posting your work! :D

painterbear
09-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Kym,
This is beautiful work on the petals and center of the morning glory. Looks like a bee's perfect landing zone!

Compositionally, it is a little too centered, IMHO. For future paintings, maybe you could move the COI to one side or the other a little more.

Looks like the soft pastels are a terrific medium for you and being a photographer gives you the chance to create lots of wonderful references for future paintings.

Sylvia

debsn2paintn
09-16-2007, 12:48 PM
I really enjoy photographing my own flowers for paintings too. This is really pretty, I really like all the delicate work in the petals. :) Welcome :)

knippes
09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks so much everyone for the kind words. Its very interesting to me that what works composition-wise photographically doesn't necessarily work artistically. In photography you also don't want to center your subject for the most part - but on some subjects it just works better. It works great on this particular photo (its one of my best sellers). However, the way I portrayed it here, it doesn't work nearly as well.
Compositionally, it is a little too centered, IMHO. For future paintings, maybe you could move the COI to one side or the other a little more.
Sylvia On the actual photo, I hardly have any of the background showing and perhaps that is my downfall here. I also don't really like the way the flower is "floating", but couldn't figure out what to do with it at this angle. I'm thinking now that I should have done what I did for the photo and used way more flower and a lot less background. Oh well, next time... I've certainly got lots of references to work from. And... I just went to the botanical gardens on Friday, where they had loads of beautiful dahlias blooming.
Thanks again everyone!
--Kym

SunsetSue
09-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Kym, I like the angle you have on this. Your photographers eye will serve you well as you explore. You achieved a feeling of texture and depth in the petals. Perhaps add a leaf or two to ground it and you will have done a superb job for your first pastel. You are right about going with a little more flower and less background for this view. I quite often catch heck for being a little too centered, but sometimes it just won't work any other way and aren't rules supposed to be broken occasionally?? LOL