PDA

View Full Version : Plein Air West Pasture

idcrisis55
09-15-2007, 01:24 PM
5 1/2" x 9" on 300# watercolor paper. Sat on the back patio and painted these trees this morning (I have to stay out of the sun :(). This is just to the South of the tree I painted on Thursday. It was windy and quite chilly plus I set up my easel the wrong way as it was more backlit so harder to paint. All these things to learn about plein air painting. Far cry from how I want to paint but still I enjoyed it. This is a sure fire way to learn about mixing greens. I mix up a batch then later forget the colors I used. :( :D

Today, I used, Perm. Alizarin Crimson (notice I didn't forget to mention the red this time :D), Ultramarine Blue, Pthalo Turquoise, Anthraquinone Blue, Cerulean Blue, Raw Sienna, Yellow Ochre, Cad. Yellow Light, Pyrrole Orange, Dioxazine Purple and gesso for tinting.

C & C welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2007/15669-PleinAir_091507_005_500.jpg

Linee
09-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I like it, Ann. Nice deep cools and pleasant warms throughout.
It's quite invigorating painting outdoors, isn't it?:)

jan409
09-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Ann: This is lovely. I love the colors. It looks so woodsy. Jan

JamieWG
09-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Ann, you got much, much better control over your color this time around! Values and foliage textures look good too. Way to go!

I looooove painting on watercolor paper in acrylic. I always use hot press, but have a large block of cold press, which has been lying around here for ages. Seeing this painting, I've got to pull that out and give cold press a whirl!

Jamie

idcrisis55
09-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Linda, Jan, Jamie, thank you for taking a peek and sharing your comments. I even wore my artist beret this time ha ha (because it kept my head warm from the cool morning air.)

Jamie, I found the 300# cold press wc paper more pebbly and think I would prefer the hot press too. I do like the cold press though for watercolors.

Linee
09-15-2007, 08:46 PM
what is "cold press" and "hot press"?

idcrisis55
09-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Cold press paper has a bit rougher texture and hot press paper is smooth. I have never read up on the process of how it is made but assume it is the process used to form the paper and the types of presses used. Fabriano also has a soft press paper that is between the cold and hot press, a bit smoother than the cold press. I like to work with it as well.

Wojdo
09-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Nice work on that foilage

Surfroney
09-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Lovely colours and it has that lovely freshness of plein air painting. One tip I find useful Ann, is to paint in the shade, otherwise if you paint with the sun on your board / paper the colours and tones can look dull once inside the house.
Also, if you wear a cap with a peak on it at the front, it helps keep the sun out of your eyes.
Froney

idcrisis55
09-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Thanks Wodjo and Froney, I appreciate your comments.

Froney, thanks for the tips. I will remember them if I ever paint away from the house. I have been setting up on the back patio which is covered but I had the easel set at the wrong angle to get good light. All a part of learning isn't it. :D

gaykir
09-16-2007, 09:25 AM
I love the texture of the paper with acrylics!! Nice balance in this one!

idcrisis55
09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks Gayle! :)

gurleygirl
09-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Beautiful!
Tracey