PDA

View Full Version : Few online sales...hmmm

Lee Gainer
05-27-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi guys...

I was wondering, of those who have actual shops/galleries set up online how your sales are going? I have done some advertising (link trading) and word of mouth but few sales. I wonder about doing the Eaby route but my prints are expensive to have made and I can't imagine the "yard sale mentality" of Ebay really amounting to anything. (Though it seems some are having some success). Any suggestions of how to up sales?

I am however, thinking of approaching local galleries. I really want to get the art thing off the ground but find it difficult as my work is digital based (digital photo) and I work 9 hours a day at my job infront a computer (eye strain).

Thanks!

arlene
05-28-2002, 12:30 AM
sales are slow...they are in galleries, here etc.

dk_art
05-28-2002, 05:43 PM
I have started doing small watercolour and ink "drawings" ( 9x12 strathmore 140 lb paper) for ebay for the last few months. The prices are at $9.95 US and $5 extra for shipping. I have been selling 75% or more of my items (like last week 14 out of 18 sold and some went up more in price). One time a $9.95 (15 minute watercolour/ ink drawing) went to $41 US ( which is like $64CND) .

Right now I have 18 on and a couple days left and 2 bids. It's weird sometimes how bids happen early and other times really close to ending. I'm hoping I haven't reached the end of my streak.

Anyway, if you could get your print costs down , EBAY might be pretty good. If you could make some small 8x10's with a production cost of maybe $2 and sell them for $15 that would be great if enough people bought them.

I can't do prints of my digital work right now as they would be like $9 each to make so it's not worth it.

One thing to think of is how an image looks as a thumbnail size (I asume you'd pay the 25cents for the gallery view). Some images attract more attention as a thumbnail size and seem to get more views. Perhaps images you make which also look better at a small size would get more clicks.

you can see my auctions from my website

Lee Gainer
05-30-2002, 11:48 AM
I get my prints done on Lightjet printers on Fuji Crystal Archive paper, currently the museum quality for photographic digital printing (rated 60 years by Wilhelm). I hate the thought of my work fading out in less than 10 years but if folks are willing to trade lower quality for cost (thus the success of Walmart, duh) , Ebay could go very well. Opinions? I could print out on Hp premium photo paper (the best stuff they have) for about $1.70 each. Its rated at about 5 years. Should it be just a print or a matted print? Hmmm...

This could work...

arlene
05-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Lee I use the epson 1280 and it's rated for 25 years on it's matte heavyweight paper.

yes mat your prints, no frame.

Lee Gainer
05-30-2002, 12:04 PM
I checked out yoru site, cool pet paintings! I am a per lover so they really impressed me.

CathyD
05-31-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by Lee Gainer
I hate the thought of my work fading out in less than 10 years but if folks are willing to trade lower quality for cost (thus the success of Walmart, duh) , Ebay could go very well. Opinions?

Lee, that is what I have found.... for an 'under $20 dollar print' I don't think people even think about archival quality. I have done both - prints off my computer and had a color graphics shop produce prints for me. The shop is between a professional print shop and a copy shop. I can choose the kind of paper I want and basically get a glorified color copy. The quality is excellent for what I get, the image color exceptionally close to the original, and I have been very pleased with the paper. I get a 11 X 17 print for a $1.25 if the artwork is camera ready. Otherwise I have had to pay a $30 one time fee per image if I need some scanning and computer work done. I have been selling 8 x 10 prints, which I can have two to a sheet, and the cost is still $1.25, or .63 cents each. I have been selling my 8 x 10's for $12.99. I don't have anything like that on auction right now, but 'walmart' prints have been very profitable for me.
In the future when I do my next 8x10 print, I am going to paint the original to the dimensions of the print, so I don't have to pay the 30 bucks to get it to fit the paper right. That something I didn't think of the first time around!
Cathy

Lee Gainer
05-31-2002, 09:16 AM
First, please let me apoligize for my horrible spelling. The more I type, the worse it gets! I meant to say "pet lover" up there!

Anywho, I sounds like either my HP color printer (with its photoprinting capability up to 8x10) and the local Kinko's will do the trick! I am very excited about this. Thanks so much to you guys! I hope to offer some of my photo work as well as some colalged stuff. I do alot of theme park themed work (roller coasters, carousels, etc.) and I hope it sells well, my sushi bar guy is counting on this! ;)