PDA

View Full Version : Professional Oil Pastel Artist

wildart129
09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
John Elliot is one of the many pioneers in the use of the versatile oil pastel. This guy is an inspiration to beginning oil pastelist, which is were I stand, as well as experienced oil pastelists. I just bought one of his books. Take a look at some of his work, his portraits are most impressive.

http://www.johnelliot.com/index.htm

NothingButPencils
09-13-2007, 07:46 PM
That reminds me-- have been meaning to ask some of the OP Society founding folks here who might know him personally if he is still alive. I thought I had read he passed away within the last few years. But maybe not?

His book- in addition to being one of the very few available- is very informative. He got me interested in the water-soluble OPs-- seems he was a big fan but at the time the book was written the selection was very limited. Much better now.

You'll enjoy the book!

CarlyHardy
09-13-2007, 08:11 PM
At the time the Oil Pastel Society was getting started, (three years ago) Mr. Elliot was still alive but I've had no news of him since that time.

carly

CarlyHardy
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
p.s. I did notice that his classes are still offered on his website.

carly

wildart129
09-13-2007, 09:57 PM
At the time the Oil Pastel Society was getting started, (three years ago) Mr. Elliot was still alive but I've had no news of him since that time.

carly

I found a site that gave his date of birth 1929 but no date of death, so he's around his late 70's now.

LJW
09-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I have his book, which is the only oil pastel book currently readily available. It's particularly good if you do portraits - I was somewhat disappointed in his landscapes. Jane

Pat Isaac
09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Yes, he is still alive and active. His wife also used to write articles for some of the popular art magazines. I also have his book and it is the only OP book readily availabale.

Pat

NothingButPencils
09-14-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm glad to hear that. Late 70s isn't old!

Paulafv
09-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Bet some of you could collaborate on a useful and definitive landscape OP book. I agree his landscapes are marginal, and his portraits are good, but not outstanding IMO. You could each take a section to explore and do a WIP.
About 10-12 sections may be enough for a small book with loads of information.

Just an idea to keep under your collective hats. One super duper organizer could coordinate everything.