PDA

View Full Version : The Trombone Player

eyecandy2
09-12-2007, 06:48 PM
This is a portrait of a person that I met at an orchestra rehearsal that I thought would make a wonderful subject for a painting. My intent was to show is intent and concentration while playing. I took a photo of him while he was playing. I then boiled down my selection to just what you see here. Does it work?:music:

idcrisis55
09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
You sure caught that look of intense concentration. I love the contrasts, play of light across his hair, on the knuckles of his hand and the trombone. Well done IMHO!

Lady Carol
09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Terrific painting. Excellent crop.
My only crit is the inside of the trombone. It doesn't look to be as well modeled for a concave surface and could use a little more attention.

LavenderFrost
09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
It's very good.

Linee
09-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Good job! I especially like the golden color of the trombone and its reflectionin his hair.

troublemaker
09-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Terrific painting. Excellent crop.
My only crit is the inside of the trombone. It doesn't look to be as well modeled for a concave surface and could use a little more attention.

I'm with Carol.
I have a feeling you're going for maybe the dinged up look that bells of brass instruments that have years of love in them tend to get. But I think the top half could be fudged around with for a better concavity (if thats a word?)

Also, wonder if the bell itself is right for the arm leading into it? It seems either the circle itself isn't quite the right elipse or the arm leading in is curved?

I'm liking the shirt a lot and really liking the way you've given the trombone a loving used look. And the hands are just flat out impressive to me.

Bill_E
09-14-2007, 01:14 AM
I like the painting. You have capture the feel of a well loved trombone and the musician is also very well done. The only critique would be the geometry of the horn. I probably wouldn't notice it too much if I haven't been playing trombone for over 30 years. The lower slide tube should line up with the tube that passes the closest to his neck. The bell is also small. The bell of a horn with the trigger as you have depicted are typically between 8 to 10 inches. This is a fine painting of a challenging subject. Just my opinion, but I think its good enough to have the extra work done to it.

debsn2paintn
09-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Nice job, I like the expression :)

eyecandy2
09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I'm not a musician nor a trombone player so the geometry and layout of the instrument was my best interpretation from a small photo. I do thank your for the education and I'll put my photo under a magnifier and see what I can do with the trombone. And, yes, this was an old battered instrument that, I'm sure, had seen many years of service. I tried to capture that effect.

Phil

Paulafv
09-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Wonderful painting. Love especially the hands and the look of the trombone.
The whole picture is great.

Bill_E
09-14-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm not a musician nor a trombone player so...I trust I didn't convey the wrong message. I love the painting!

I can easily see this hanging in a music studio. Taking the extra time will take this from a good painting to one a musician would be more willing to part with the cash the painting deserves. :)

And, yes, this was an old battered instrument that, I'm sure, had seen many years of service. I tried to capture that effect.You did that very well :thumbsup: I'm not sure what is harder, a shiny new horn or an old one that has seen many years of service. In either case, painting a horn presents some real challenges. My own attempts have been...well, less than impressive :o

jan409
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
This is a wonderful painting. I love it. Jan

eyecandy2
09-15-2007, 11:46 AM
I want to thank you all for all of your wonderful critiques and comments. They just make me want to keep painting.

JamieWG
09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Works for me! As Carol said, I love the crop. What a challenging subject you took on!

Jamie